Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare farmer objects to €8bn Intel investment...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Passed Thomas Reid the other night outside Carton House on his bike cycling the pitch dark. A lonely life the man must live. I don't believe he is malicious. He's set in his ways and a farmer through and through. Can't fault him for that but jobs creation must win here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Ok, I removed the "crazy" comment.

BUT...they didn't CPO his land so why is he objecting then???

That's like excusing someone because they attempted to murder you.

Just get over it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Mike9832 wrote: »
    State of him

You'd think with all his millions he could cut that hair/wig and clean the **** off his jacket
    Have you considered that maybe he is happy with how he looks and lives?
    Typical Irish begrudgery! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Mike9832 wrote: »
    State of him

You'd think with all his millions he could cut that hair/wig and clean the **** off his jacket

Good man.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Farmer through and through, what does he farm exactly?

• Advertisement

Ush1 wrote: »
    Farmer through and through, what does he farm exactly?
    Beef although I'm unsure how it is relevant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭SirGerryAdams

if one fella needs to have a cpo hit him for 8bn to be invested then that is exactly what should happen

Is that what it's all about now? Investment?

When did we lose all perspective in search of MORE JOBS. I feel like any announcement of new jobs is met with applause as if we're a country that has no jobs.

We already have a tight labour market, low unemployment. Where do we get the employees? Foreigners?

These types of investment increase population in cities who don't have the infrastructure to deal with it, or the public transport facilities.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Can't fault him for that but jobs creation must win here.

Why? Are we stuck for jobs? Is that the main aim of things now, to get more jobs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

The jobs will be made regardless of his land being cpo'd or not, as will the 8bn investment. it's all ready happening. they want his land as it suits the site logistically, in reality they don't necessarily need it and can and will make do somewhere else if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You are making the mistake that he os holding out for money or something. He's not!
    He may be eccentric but he's no fool and he is a farmer through and through who doesn't want to leave his land!

Have you seen the state of his place? He owns land and cattle, but a farmer though and through he isn't.

• Advertisement

You are making the mistake that he os holding out for money or something. He's not!
    He may be eccentric but he's no fool and he is a farmer through and through who doesn't want to leave his land!

Did anyone here watch the film about him? He's clearly low IQ. He doesn't have electricity or anything.

He's just someone who doesn't get over the death of loved ones and holds onto everything to keep their memory alive. His house is full of papers from 1980.

He's the type of guy who even if he had 10m, he'd still be cooking beans in a shed with a gas canister.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Have you considered that maybe he is happy with how he looks and lives?
    Typical Irish begrudgery! :rolleyes:

Pity then he begrudges so many job opportunities to many people

From talking to people around the area (as I live in the area), most are aware of him and agree with him!

That's a country thing, if your clan have been in the area for multiple generations, you can get away with anything

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Pity then he begrudges so many job opportunities to many people
    He's not. He's protecting his livelihood which is his right.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Let's be honest, that's bull (pun intended) . His livelihood can be moved to another field very easily and without disruption. If anything, hed be better off because he'll probably make money on the sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭ongarite

Old Perry wrote: »
    The jobs will be made regardless of his land being cpo'd or not, as will the 8bn investment. it's all ready happening. they want his land as it suits the site logistically, in reality they don't necessarily need it and can and will make do somewhere else if needed.

Does anyone read the planning application or this thread?
    His land isn’t being CPOd or used in any way.
    The planning permission is for change of use of the existing Intel site.
    He has objected to every single planning application by Intel for over 20 years, just like this one.

Let's be honest, that's bull (pun intended) . His livelihood can be moved to another field very easily and without disruption. If anything, hed be better off because he'll probably make money on the sale.

He does not care for money.

Literally he goes and buys reduced items from the local supermarket and doesn't have electricity etc.

1. He is not interested in money.
    2. It is his legal right to submit objections to his direct neighbours planning applications (as it is my right or yours).
    3. Why should he move just to placate the development of a commercial entity? Our constitution gives property owners rights and he is protecting his as he sees fit.

Anyhow, this thread appears to be repeating itself - all of this was discussed if you read through the previosu pages.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,183 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Literally he goes and buys reduced items from the local supermarket and doesn't have electricity etc.

That sounds like the opposite of not caring for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

1. He is not interested in money.

I was replying to your post about his livelihood. A livelihood which wouldnt be affected. Certainly nothing moving to a nicer field.

• Advertisement

I was replying to your post about his livelihood. A livelihood which wouldnt be affected. Certainly nothing moving to a nicer field.
    I assumne that you're not a farmer and don't come from a farm.
    It is not a simple matter of 1 field being the same as another field!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I assumne that you're not a farmer and don't come from a farm.
    It is not a simple matter of 1 field being the same as another field!

Once again for the cheap seats, this development doesn't involve his land *at all*. He's objecting due to previous bad blood with Intel, nothing more.

What Intel are offering would buy hundreds of acres in the North West and he could plant trees with tax free income

He could run around naked and howl at the moon amongst the forest

He's a dingbat

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    What Intel are offering would buy hundreds of acres in the North West and he could plant trees with tax free income

The point remains - he doesn't want to accept their offer, he probably doesn't want to accept any offer and that's entirely up to him.

If you wanted to buy something of mine and I didn't want to sell it - what do you think should happen?

The point remains - he doesn't want to accept their offer, he probably doesn't want to accept any offer and that's entirely up to him.

If you wanted to buy something of mine and I didn't want to sell it - what do you think should happen?

Depends, if you were blocking metro North, I'd go Chinese pre 2008 Olympics on you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Mad_maxx wrote:
    Depends, if you were blocking metro North, I'd go Chinese pre 2008 Olympics on you

For the Metro that would be a CPO, for the public good. The IDA tried to CPO this man's land sometime back on behalf of Intel hence the badblood. He has a right to object whether he succeeds is a separate matter. Again it seems to be lost on some that not everyone can be bought or places a higher value on money than attachment to land.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭Call me Al

For the Metro that would be a CPO, for the public good. The IDA tried to CPO this man's land sometime back on behalf of Intel hence the badblood. He has a right to object whether he succeeds is a separate matter. Again it seems to be lost on some that not everyone can be bought or places a higher value on money than attachment to land.
    The way I see it, he was fully entitled to object to the CPO and the way it was handled. I would've been annoyed if he hadn't been successful in that case against the IDA as I felt that what they were doing was wrong.
    And yes he's also entitled to object this time too, but vexatious objections are another thing entirely. That's what i consider this to be. And hate and spite is a large part of his motivation right now. This development doesn't encroach on his land. It's across a road from one of his fields on land Intel already own, and about 1km from his house.
    I think its more likely in the future that Intel will expand southward towards the M4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Any normal person would sell

In this situation a new bill should be introduced to stop the crazies holding up thousands of jobs for families

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭bop1977

The planning permission was granted and this fella didn’t proceed to object to an bord planela. Game over as far as planning is concerned.

Advertisement