Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comparing how Roger Moore and Sean Connery aged

Options
  • 06-03-2019 2:29pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39

It's very interesting to compare how these men aged. Connery seemed to age quickly initially. Even in his first Bond movie, he looked a good bit older than 31. By the time Connery finished 'Diamonds are Forever' he looked a lot older than Moore would look two years later... and time Moore was actually older than Connery anyway!

But yet by the time the nineties came, Connery began to look younger again (or at least looked better), and Moore began to look ancient. In the movie 'The Rock', Connery looked damn fine. But when Connery did 'Never Say Never Again', people must have been thinking he was like an old granddad.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭rgodard80a

Yeah, but Connery has lived twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Roger didn't have to wear a toupee in his Bond films

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Connery (eventually) owned his baldness and white hair and bearded up. This has a tendency to freeze aging in its tracks. You look 50+, but then stay like that until your late 70s.

Moore by contrast only seemed to have a receding hairline as a pensioner and apparently continued to dye his hair well into old age.

As a result when the person stops wearing toupeés and dying their hair, they can look like they've aged 20 years in a matter of weeks.

For example, in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Harrison Ford was 47. Connery was 59, but you well believed that he could could be Indy's father.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

rgodard80a wrote: »
    Yeah, but Connery has lived twice.

Right, we're done here.

Good job everyone.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Thats Entrapment!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Moore’s grannyish style of eye wear didn’t do him any favours in later life. Made him look like an old crone.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Tacklebox

Most of my gay friends fancied Moore, and the ladies were more into Connery

Pussygalore was my favourite

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Moore’s grannyish style of eye wear didn’t do him any favours in later life. Made him look like an old crone.

I don't know what you're talking about Emmet.

I watched live and let die the other day and he still looked every bit as good as he did in the early 70's. The chicks were mad for him!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

What about the other Bond's? George lazenby or Timothy Dalton. Did they age worse than Connery or Moore??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Pierce Brosnan aged well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I don't know what you're talking about Emmet.

I watched live and let die the other day and he still looked every bit as good as he did in the early 70's. The chicks were mad for him!

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve no doubt the ladies fizzed for him.

And why wouldn’t they? The man could do more with the raising of an eyebrow than most could do with a dozen roses, a box of chocolates, and a liberal splash of Brut.

But, those glasses. Just no.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Tacklebox wrote: »

They missed a trick not calling this fella Handjob

OddJob_-_Goldfinger_%281964%29.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

It's very interesting to compair how these men aged. Connery seemed to age quickly initially. Even in his first Bond movie, he looked a good bit older than 31. And by the time Moore took on the role of Bond he was actually older than Connery. Still Moore looked younger.

But by the time the nineties came, Connery began to look younger again (or at least looked better). In the movie 'The Rock', he looked damn fine. But when Connery did 'Never Say Never Again', people must have been thinking he was like an old granddad.

I liked Roger Moore even though he was a terrible actor but he looked as old as the day he died around 1996, remember him briefly appearing in the spice girls movie ( you try not watching whatever is on on a flight to Australia) which was only twelve years after his last bond and he looked ancient

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

James Bond is nothing but a load of brit propaganda, fook that schit

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

RMAOK wrote: »
    What about the other Bond's? George lazenby or Timothy Dalton. Did they age worse than Connery or Moore??

Lazenby looked old twenty five years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

By Moore's own admission A View To Kill was one adventure to far, aging wise he seemed to have fallen off a cliff between that and the previous installment, Octopussy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Daniel Craig is now 51, so how does he rank in terms of age of playing Bond? He's holding it together though, he looks good and I think that nowadays 50 is the new 40 when it comes to actors - the likes of Keanu Reeves and Tom Cruise all looking much younger than their ages as they progress into their 50s.

I quite like the idea of an "older" Bond - not the Fleming chauvinist gentleman spy, but someone like what Craig is playing - world weary, damaged, but with a job to do and a vocation for it. What I liked about Skyfall was how wrecked he looked in the first part, injured and in pain.

When they replace Craig it should be with someone in their early 40s; I can't really fathom a modern Bond who would be 35, say.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

If you could look at them both now, I suspect Connery would come out as having aged a lot better....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 Blush Proof

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    he looked as old as the day he died around 1996
    Yeah, the same year Connery made 'The Rock' and looked incredibly handsome.

But yet around the year Connery made 'Diamonds are Forever' (which was before Moore's first Bond), Moore would've looked a lot younger than Connery. Interesting.

seamus wrote: »
    Connery (eventually) owned his baldness and white hair and bearded up. This has a tendency to freeze aging in its tracks. You look 50+, but then stay like that until your late 70s.

As a result when the person stops wearing toupeés and dying their hair, they can look like they've aged 20 years in a matter of weeks.
    Maybe if I had terrible eye sight I'd agree. But no, I don't think it has anything to do with boldness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Daniel Craig is now 51, so how does he rank in terms of age of playing Bond? He's holding it together though, he looks good and I think that nowadays 50 is the new 40 when it comes to actors - the likes of Keanu Reeves and Tom Cruise all looking much younger than their ages as they progress into their 50s.

I quite like the idea of an "older" Bond - not the Fleming chauvinist gentleman spy, but someone like what Craig is playing - world weary, damaged, but with a job to do and a vocation for it. What I liked about Skyfall was how wrecked he looked in the first part, injured and in pain.

When they replace Craig it should be with someone in their early 40s; I can't really fathom a modern Bond who would be 35, say.

I never took to Craig, I don't picture Bond as sandy haired.

I liked the dark handsome ones like Brosnan and Dalton.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

RMAOK wrote: »

Timothy Dalton seems to have aged well,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭MrCostington

Couldn't agree more. I hesitate to type this, having been a Bond fan since Connery's days, but I think Craig may be the best bond ever. There, I said it. And Skyfall, the best adventure yet for the exact same reasons you cite. Dalton in the same mold - both more serious in the role, as you would expect in real life.

Sorry to go further OT, but I was so excited to hear Danny Boyle was going to direct the next one, and so upset to here he was not!!

To answer the OP, I think Connery retained more rugged good looks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

I think they both aged alright if you look at them both at 88 just that Sean Connery was a better looking man.

Never got into the Bond films but for some reason if someone mentions it, the first person I think of is Connery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

On fairness to Roger, he didnt take himself seriously, always seemed to be in on the joke

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

Tommy Lee Jones aged in the womb.

To answer the OP, I think Connery retained more rugged good looks.
    And Moore aged like a woman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Tacklebox wrote: »
    Most of my gay friends fancied Moore, and the ladies were more into Connery

Username checks out..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

I never really got the mass and unquestioned appeal of either, really. They always looked too old, eyebrowey and smarmy for my liking. I know it's each to their own with taste but there's a consensus that they are up there as being the biggest sex symbols of their time. I'm sure the Bond role helped.

Same with Robert Redford. I think a lot of the time it's a case of them being held in high regard of having "sex appeal" and the crowd following suit in that its understood that they are meant to be ideal. They became the go-to guys of sexy men.

Advertisement