Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Western Society has got Decadent

Options
  • 06-03-2019 11:06am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭

It seems to me that common sense has gone out the window on so many issues that are indulged by media luvvies and (gasp!!) virtue signallers.

The culture of celebrity has been taken to ridiculous extremes (ie the Kardashians and other such non entities), the whole transgender issue (kids being encouraged to "transition" , transgender male to females - pre op in many cases - insisting in competing in womens sport and using women only spaces - tennis legend Martina Navratilova has pointed out the unfair advantage this would give them...

...and she is attacked and called a TERF.
    I am a gay man and firmly believe in equality and fairness but we are indulging ridiculous notions and the eternally offended attack anyone with a common sense approach.

Then you have a cultute of politics that is all style and posturing over actual substance. And people reacting to this - Brexit (a clusterf*ck of epic proportions) and Trump come to mind...

There is so much indulging in frivolous issues that IMO are whataboutery and distrations for more important considerations - like economic inequality, the environmental catastrophe, a lack of a long term vision for the world.

Posts on the LGBTQI forum get shot down and locked at the slightest questioning of the cosy consensus and it is not healthy.

Someone had a thread about cliques on boatds? QED...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Social Media and the 24 hour news cycle has meant that people dont listen or think before they spout whatever vacous nonsense first comes into their head.

Its easy to avoid this stupidity.

Delete twitter and facebook and instagram. Life is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

If more people went out for a walk on a
    Mountain or in a forest society would be better off.

Far too much focus on fame and celebrities and reality tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭Allinall

Social Media and the 24 hour news cycle has meant that people dont listen or think before they spout whatever vacous nonsense first comes into their head.

Its easy to avoid this stupidity.

Delete twitter and facebook and instagram. Life is better.

Agree 100%.

I don’t do Facebook , Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter or any of the rest.

I have WhatsApp which is restricted to family and friends.

All the rubbish passes me by and I don’t think I’m missing out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Posts on the LGBTQI forum get shot down and locked at the slightest questioning of the cosy consensus and it is not healthy.

There's a socially conservative gay Kilkenny farmer whose name escapes me, but I remember reading his blog and thinking he'd make for an interesting Mod on the LGBT forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,211 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Yamanoto wrote: »
    There's a socially conservative gay Kilkenny farmer whose name escapes me, but I remember reading his blog and thinking he'd make for an interesting Mod on the LGBT forum.

I think your referring to Paddy Manning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Thank God. I thought for a moment this was another Eldon_Maxbank thread ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭ohfa6muwtsvkc1

I hate when the proper news reports on some Twitter squabble. Wtf is with that. Needless nonsense and making people care and invest in something which has no point, purpose or meaning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Your finger keeps slipping a tad to the right, when you want to write r sometimes it is a t, is this a Freudian slip, Jupitet? Maybe a sign of getting older when we all morph into conservative old prunes and give out about the filthy rock and roll. :)

Ah no, but seriously, there is a lot of BS out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Well, when you're (relatively) rich, safe, comfortable and well-fed, as just about everyone is in Western society, you can believe and spout any sort of happy horseshit you like, and it doesn't matter. :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

It seems to me that common sense has gone out the window on so many issues that are indulged by media luvvies and (gasp!!) virtue signallers.

The culture of celebrity has been taken to ridiculous extremes (ie the Kardashians and other such non entities), the whole transgender issue (kids being encouraged to "transition" , transgender male to females - pre op in many cases - insisting in competing in womens sport and using women only spaces - tennis legend Martina Navratilova has pointed out the unfair advantage this would give them...

I am a gay man and firmly believe in equality and fairness but we are indulging ridiculous notions and the eternally offended attack anyone with a common sense approach.

Then you have a cultute of politics that is all style and posturing over actual substance. And people reacting to this - Brexit (a clusterf*ck of epic proportions) and Trump come to mind...

There is so much indulging in frivolous issues that IMO are whataboutery and distrations for more important considerations - like economic inequality, the environmental catastrophe, a lack of a long term vision for the world.

Posts on the LGBTQI forum get shot down
    and locked at the slightest questioning of the cosy consensus and it is not healthy.

To be fair, the LGBTQI forum is meant to be a safe space and the prerequisites for posting are clearly outlined. There is plenty questioning of the consensus, but this would usually happen in AH.

As for the other points, I have big issues surrounding consumerism and all that goes with it. I find reality TV stars like the Kardashians and their ilk to be quite vapid and I don't get the appeal. It does distract the masses but then again, maybe the masses wish to be distracted?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Cryptopagan

What in the name of God has Brexit got to do with transgender issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I hate when the proper news reports on some Twitter squabble. Wtf is with that. Needless nonsense and making people care and invest in something which has no point, purpose or meaning.

Arrrgghhh*

*runs away :D

Decadent is exactly the word I use though it goes by many others. We have spent decades encouraging everyone that they matter, that what they think is important, their opinions are as valid as anyone else's, that the pursuit of happiness is happiness.

gozunda wrote: »
    Arrrgghhh*

*runs away :D

Honest to God, I mean when you have headlines like "Katy Perry is facing a Twitter backlash over blackface shoes" something is deeply wrong.

I'm disgusted with myself that that non-knowledge even occupies a part of my brain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

I think your referring to Paddy Manning.

Interesting blog, thanks for making me aware of it. It's always nice to read the thoughts of someone refusing to conform to the zeitgeist / howling at the moon (select as you deem appropriate).

http://thickerthantalk.blogspot.com

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

It was a mistake to give everyone a voice as the crazies now have a vehicle to spread their ideology to zealots who in the past would follow some religion and be appeased but now have become loud activists that want to remake the world in their image or burn the whole damn thing down.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

if history has taught us anything, its that civilisations and empires are temporary.

western society has certainly lost faith in itself. its is belittled and maligned from within by those who enjoy the fruits of its achievements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Force Carrier

The world previously had a self correcting mechanism to right these imbalances.

The civilised becoming too civilised - too weak, self-indulgent, complacent and decadent could no longer defend themselves when tough, hardy, savage folk that invaded from the hills and forests. Destroying and at the same time taking possession of the plains and the towns. These people in turn becoming settled. civilised. Eventually decadent - and wild people came down from the hills and slaughtered them. Rinse and get some soap in your eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

It's like the final days of the Roman Empire. :D

Don't worry though, nature always resets eventually. These things run in cycles.

The world previously had a self correcting mechanism to right these imbalances.

The civilised becoming too civilised - too weak, self-indulgent, complacent and decadent could no longer defend themselves when tough, hardy, savage folk that invaded from the hills and forests. Destroying and at the same time taking possession of the plains and the towns. These people in turn becoming settled. civilised. Eventually decadent - and wild people came down from the hills and slaughtered them. Rinse and get some soap in your eye.

But who, nowadays, fulfils the role of the hill people? That's what worries me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

_Brian wrote: »
    If more people went out for a walk on a
    Mountain or in a forest society would be better off.

Far too much focus on fame and celebrities and reality tv.

If more people went for a nice long long walk in the Red Forest (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Forest) society would be a lot better off!!

:D

sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

I love the way JupiterKid thinks....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Meh

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Commonly referred to as the Tytler Cycle

tytler.jpg

"A democracy is always temporary in nature; it simply cannot exist as a permanent form of government. A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates who promise the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that every democracy will finally collapse due to loose fiscal policy, which is always followed by a dictatorship."
    “The average age of the world’s greatest civilizations from the beginning of history, has been about 200 years. During those 200 years, these nations always progressed through the following sequence:

From bondage to spiritual faith;
    From spiritual faith to great courage;
    From courage to liberty;
    From liberty to abundance;
    From abundance to complacency;
    From complacency to apathy;
    From apathy to dependence;
    From dependence back into bondage

Alexander Tyler, 1787.

jimgoose wrote: »
    Well, when you're (relatively) rich, safe, comfortable and well-fed, as just about everyone is in Western society, you can believe and spout any sort of happy horseshit you like, and it doesn't matter. :pac:

I would just add, on a more serious note, that this encouraging young children to be "transgender" is abuse, and for some reason everyone is terrified to say so for fear of being Twittered to death as an Unbeliever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

What in the name of God has Brexit got to do with transgender issues?

You might want to read the OP again. You're seeing things that aren't there.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It was a mistake to give everyone a voice as the crazies now have a vehicle to spread their ideology to zealots who in the past would follow some religion and be appeased but now have become loud activists that want to remake the world in their image or burn the whole damn thing down.
    The Interwebs potentially gives a platform to anyone with a connection and that's great, but it also gives a platform to the oddballs, the unhinged, the stupid, the dangerous and the shills and the shysters that we wouldn't otherwise have to deal with. What is common to that collection of people is they almost never see themselves as members of that list.

Of the "virtue signallers", the Nouveau Puritans of the multitude of current faiths? They're happiest on a censorship run of anything that unsettles them, or what they've been told unsettles them. These eejits give words way more power than they possess. They're like bronze age wizards thinking special words have magical powers and if we remove some and promote others then it'll all magically change.

Most of all I'd say the near unlimited choices of instant access public platforms today have given too many the freedom to be their "authentic self"; which in the case of the loudest voices is almost always an irritating little cunt. 
    Honest to God, I mean when you have headlines like "Katy Perry is facing a Twitter backlash over blackface shoes" something is deeply wrong.
    Yep. All the news that shit to print. © To be fair to the media it was always thus all the way back to the caves. The mob wants easy listening "news" and gossip is everything. Graffiti on the walls of Rome don't mention Hannibal crossing the Alps, it's more like "Agrippina has tits that won't quit and she's ridin her head slave and you wouldn't believe what she spends on perfumes". Every generation craves it and every generation sniffs haughtily at it. In essence if you post a gif of a cat juggling a ball of wool it's almost certainly going to garner more "likes" than your most profound statement on your best day. It is what it is.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

But who, nowadays, fulfils the role of the hill people? That's what worries me.
    Whichever group or civilisation that is sure of itself and its importance. Great empires fall not because of a lack of strength, but because of a lack of self confidence.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,673 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I love you JK and all, but this is called “pulling the ladder up after yourself:D

Leo and Co. come to mind a lot quicker!

Nah, I completely get the reasoning behind the cosy consensus on the LGBT forum, it’s exactly why I don’t post there any more. It’s healthy for the people who want to post there and have just one safe corner of the Internet for themselves so to speak, and it’s healthier for me too that I don’t post there any more as having to conform to political and social groupthink, and being expected to conform to or face sanctions, to positions and opinions I vehemently disagree with, used drive me round the bend. It’s a very supportive forum for anyone who already holds the beliefs and opinions though, and to put it in perspective - they are in a very, very tiny minority in terms of the number of people in Irish society who do not share their beliefs and opinions.

Nah, common sense is still fairly common. It’s only when you choose to put stuff under a magnifying glass that you imagine it’s more prevalent than it actually is.

• Advertisement

I love you JK and all, but this is called “pulling the ladder up after yourself:D

I think he's more looking on appalled as the entire structure of the building he's standing on is replaced by elevator shafts.

Advertisement