Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Harold's Cross Bus Lane - New Enforcement

  • 05-03-2019 11:23am
    #1
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,355 Mod ✭✭✭✭ spockety


    I see they have put some new bollards separating the bus lane from the driving lane on the city bound approach to Harold's Cross bridge. This bus lane has been a joke for years, with cars merging into it as far back as the Hospice.

    The light sequence at the bridge has been changed to allow vehicles turning right onto the canal to go first before outbound traffic from the city gets green lit to go towards Harold's Cross too. This should ensure the driving lane isn't blocked by right turning cars waiting at the bridge.

    Gardai were out this morning issuing bus lane fines just before the bus stop on the left.

    https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3285114,-6.2763287,3a,75y,20h,71.87t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sJBi8oIWmbyIoxl4l4Qgucw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192


«1

Comments

  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭ CatInABox


    spockety wrote: »
    I see they have put some new bollards separating the bus lane from the driving lane on the city bound approach to Harold's Cross bridge. This bus lane has been a joke for years, with cars merging into it as far back as the Hospice.

    The light sequence at the bridge has been changed to allow vehicles turning right onto the canal to go first before outbound traffic from the city gets green lit to go towards Harold's Cross too. This should ensure the driving lane isn't blocked by right turning cars waiting at the bridge.

    Gardai were out this morning issuing bus lane fines just before the bus stop on the left.

    https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3285114,-6.2763287,3a,75y,20h,71.87t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sJBi8oIWmbyIoxl4l4Qgucw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

    I think we're going to see more and more of these bollards being placed to protect bus lanes, they've definitely made a difference at Whitehall.


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭ cgcsb


    Good to hear. There's still car drivers who think they are bus drivers on the Bachelor's walk 24/7 bus lane. City Centre is a mess right now and everything kind of looks 'temporary' like there's too many projects on the go for any decisions to be made.


  • Registered Users Posts: 15,803 ✭✭✭✭ LXFlyer


    cgcsb wrote: »
    Good to hear. There's still car drivers who think they are bus drivers on the Bachelor's walk 24/7 bus lane. City Centre is a mess right now and everything kind of looks 'temporary' like there's too many projects on the go for any decisions to be made.

    Bachelor’s Walk is not helped by the bus lane leading into it on Lower Ormond Quay between Capel St and Liffey St being operational only on Mon-Sat 07:00-19:00 and not 24/7 - that means that any traffic in it outside of those hours should then pull out into the outer lane at Liffey St which no one does.

    Utterly ludicrous design.

    Surely they should both have the same hours of operation?


  • Registered Users Posts: 24,686 ✭✭✭✭ punisher5112


    Simple and easy way to police this is cameras.

    If you go between 2 points then you get a fine.

    This would change things over night.

    Any photos of these bollards.


  • Registered Users Posts: 15,803 ✭✭✭✭ LXFlyer


    Simple and easy way to police this is cameras.

    If you go between 2 points then you get a fine.

    This would change things over night.

    That apparently requires new legislation which hopefully will be pursued by the NTA.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭ Heartbreak Hank


    LXFlyer wrote: »
    Bachelor’s Walk is not helped by the bus lane leading into it on Lower Ormond Quay between Capel St and Liffey St being operational only on Mon-Sat 07:00-19:00 and not 24/7 - that means that any traffic in it outside of those hours should then pull out into the outer lane at Liffey St which no one does.

    Utterly ludicrous design.

    Surely they should both have the same hours of operation?


    Why aren't all bus lanes 24/7? Why should a road's private car capacity be increased at off peak times when the number of private cars is decreased?


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,400 ✭✭✭ Alkers


    Why aren't all bus lanes 24/7? Why should a road's private car capacity be increased at off peak times when the number of private cars is decreased?


    Agreed and it makes the management of it so much more complicated for everyone. There are some lanes which permit parking when not in use though


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,903 ✭✭✭ Bigus


    Simple and easy way to police this is cameras.

    If you go between 2 points then you get a fine.

    This would change things over night.

    Any photos of these bollards.

    Yeah like in the UK where innocent people are fined for letting ambulances go, by pulling ever so slighty into a bus lanes .
    If you go down this cctv road, eventually you end up at something like Brexit, no thanks . Over policing of minor stuff and harassment of law abiding citizens in the UK has led to a breakdown in society.


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭ cgcsb


    LXFlyer wrote: »
    Bachelor’s Walk is not helped by the bus lane leading into it on Lower Ormond Quay between Capel St and Liffey St being operational only on Mon-Sat 07:00-19:00 and not 24/7 - that means that any traffic in it outside of those hours should then pull out into the outer lane at Liffey St which no one does.

    Utterly ludicrous design.

    Surely they should both have the same hours of operation?

    Agreed, 24 hour operation needs to be extended to at least the Blackhall place junction.


  • Registered Users Posts: 15,803 ✭✭✭✭ LXFlyer


    cgcsb wrote: »
    Agreed, 24 hour operation needs to be extended to at least the Blackhall place junction.

    Well it should be 24 hours from Capel Street Bridge in any case.

    Not sure it’s needed all the way back to Blackhall Place.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭ cgcsb


    LXFlyer wrote: »
    Well it should be 24 hours from Capel Street Bridge in any case.

    Not sure it’s needed all the way back to Blackhall Place.

    To be fair if the entire thing was 07:00 to 19:00 and actually ENFORCED. Then nobody would be bothered with the 24hr concept.

    The Quays is a critical route for buses. Enforcement needs to be swift, brutal and operated by an unsympathetic AI.


  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,355 Mod ✭✭✭✭ spockety


    spockety wrote: »
    I see they have put some new bollards separating the bus lane from the driving lane on the city bound approach to Harold's Cross bridge. This bus lane has been a joke for years, with cars merging into it as far back as the Hospice.

    The light sequence at the bridge has been changed to allow vehicles turning right onto the canal to go first before outbound traffic from the city gets green lit to go towards Harold's Cross too. This should ensure the driving lane isn't blocked by right turning cars waiting at the bridge.

    Gardai were out this morning issuing bus lane fines just before the bus stop on the left.

    https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3285114,-6.2763287,3a,75y,20h,71.87t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sJBi8oIWmbyIoxl4l4Qgucw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192


    Update: No Gardai enforcing this morning, and the bollards were being completely ignored, bus lane chock with cars.


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭ cgcsb


    Camera enforcement would be profitable I reckon.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭ JohnC.


    Bigus wrote: »
    Yeah like in the UK where innocent people are fined for letting ambulances go, by pulling ever so slighty into a bus lanes .
    If you go down this cctv road, eventually you end up at something like Brexit, no thanks . Over policing of minor stuff and harassment of law abiding citizens in the UK has led to a breakdown in society.

    Why would you be pulling into a bus lane when the ambulance can use the bus lane?


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭ LeinsterDub


    Bigus wrote: »
    eventually you end up at something like Brexit, no thanks

    This is literally the biggest stretch I've seen on boards.


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭ cgcsb


    This is literally the biggest stretch I've seen on boards.

    A Hitler reference can only be a couple of posts away.


  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 33,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Seth Brundle


    cgcsb wrote: »
    A Hitler reference can only be a couple of posts away.
    In fairness, Hitler (& Stalin) use public transport...

    7tco8wuuo5w11.png


  • Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭ steve-o


    This arrangement is actually dangerous. The barrier is invisible to drivers in the right lane who have another vehicle ahead of them and want to change into the left lane while approaching the lights (perfectly legal and normal outside bus lane hours).

    Of course, this type of road layout, where the majority of vehicles have to change lane while approaching lights, is a really bad design in the first place.


  • Registered Users Posts: 20 baileys3


    steve-o wrote: »
    This arrangement is actually dangerous. The barrier is invisible to drivers in the right lane who have another vehicle ahead of them and want to change into the left lane while approaching the lights (perfectly legal and normal outside bus lane hours).

    Of course, this type of road layout, where the majority of vehicles have to change lane while approaching lights, is a really bad design in the first place.

    I agree, the lane layout causes a lot of problems here (and elsewhere). While they were going to the effort to place bollards, a bit of a rethink of the paint on the road would have helped too.

    There are lots of junctions like this around the city; where the lane abruptly turns into a right hand turn at the junction and the main traffic stream is forced to move into the left lane. Dolphin's Barn junction is the same. Dolphin's Barn also has a handy diagram of the lane layout...right at the junction !! :rolleyes:


  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,355 Mod ✭✭✭✭ spockety


    Quick update.. this configuration has been extended, the barriers now start just after the pedestrian crossing, with a break in them for the turn into Greenmount Office Park.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,803 ✭✭✭✭ LXFlyer


    They need to bring them right back along the road to be honest.


  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Sam Russell


    Why is there no enforcement of the double yellow lines between Leonards Corner and Tescos on the South Circular? The No 9 and 16 buses have great difficulty turning there with all the illegal parking - there are always cars and vans parked illegally there.


  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭ tomfoolery60


    Why is there no enforcement of the double yellow lines between Leonards Corner and Tescos on the South Circular? The No 9 and 16 buses have great difficulty turning there with all the illegal parking - there are always cars and vans parked illegally there.

    Surely you wouldn't make people walk a few extra metres for their takeout???


  • Registered Users Posts: 24,686 ✭✭✭✭ punisher5112


    Issue with double yellows are you can load/unload for 30 minutes.

    We need double reds like in the UK which are no stopping or parking at any time(clearway 24 hours)


  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Sam Russell


    Issue with double yellows are you can load/unload for 30 minutes.

    We need double reds like in the UK which are no stopping or parking at any time(clearway 24 hours)

    Clearways solve that problem. Also, loading must be active, not just parking.

    There is a loading point just before the bus stop.


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭ cgcsb


    Urban clearways aren't recognised here. Go to Stoneybatter there's an outbound cycle lane going past the bus stop there, that is also a peak hour clearway. Sure enough, at all times of the day its free parking. You even get parked cars in the bus stop and also on the inbound bus lane across the street. It's 24hr free parking basically.


  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭ CatInABox


    cgcsb wrote: »
    Urban clearways aren't recognised here. Go to Stoneybatter there's an outbound cycle lane going past the bus stop there, that is also a peak hour clearway. Sure enough, at all times of the day its free parking. You even get parked cars in the bus stop and also on the inbound bus lane across the street. It's 24hr free parking basically.

    The total lack of enforcement is saddening. It's why I'm a big supporter of these plastic bollards going up, they require no Garda effort.

    Here's Parnell St, what used to be the shared cycle lane/taxi rank

    https://twitter.com/TUDublinEPS/status/1120664380415401984


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,654 ✭✭✭ Marcusm


    Clearways solve that problem. Also, loading must be active, not just parking.

    There is a loading point just before the bus stop.

    Clearways should solve the problem but they are ignored. In fact, I suspect half of all drivers couldn’t explain a clearway.


  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Sam Russell


    Marcusm wrote: »
    Clearways should solve the problem but they are ignored. In fact, I suspect half of all drivers couldn’t explain a clearway.

    There was a problem with cars parked all along on St Raephaela's Rd in Sandyford - made it clearway and no parking. Magic.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭ Ste.phen


    What the hell kind of road markings are those? Are the taxis parked in a driving lane, or is this somehow supposed to be a taxi rank? (isn't there an actual taxi rank across the street outside Penneys?)


Advertisement