Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading cctv cameras

Options
  • 05-03-2019 1:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,239 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all

I have a CCTV system, about 4 years old. The camera quality isn't overly impressive and I'm considering an upgrade.

The current cameras are Qvis 20fps@3MP (2048×1536) IP.

Had a guy out to quote for a better camera and he suggested:
    Dahua HD Camera 12 volt Infra Red External Day/Night Box Dome Camera, 700 TVL c/w Varifocal 2.8-12mm 1/3 “ Sony Lens

Unless I'm totally picking things up wrong (quite possible) isn't that a step back? TVL rating indicates an analogue camera and also much lower quality than a 3mp IP camera?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭altor

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Hi all

I have a CCTV system, about 4 years old. The camera quality isn't overly impressive and I'm considering an upgrade.

The current cameras are Qvis 20fps@3MP (2048×1536) IP.

Had a guy out to quote for a better camera and he suggested:
    Dahua HD Camera 12 volt Infra Red External Day/Night Box Dome Camera, 700 TVL c/w Varifocal 2.8-12mm 1/3 “ Sony Lens

Unless I'm totally picking things up wrong (quite possible) isn't that a step back? TVL rating indicates an analogue camera and also much lower quality than a 3mp IP camera?

Id recommend getting a few more quotes if that is what he is offering.
    700TVL :D
    Must be looking to offload old stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Dahua and Qvis use the same horrible GUI. HIKvision or Hiwatch by HIKvision is alot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,239 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Thanks, any particular models I should look for?

Thanks, any particular models I should look for?

For a domestic setting 4mp cameras and machine are ideal. How many cameras are you wanting to upgrade?

alta stare wrote: »
    For a domestic setting 4mp cameras and machine are ideal. How many cameras are you wanting to upgrade?

I have 4 but I'm considering adding a 5th.

I'm tempted to do the upgrade myself since most of the wiring is already in place. Plus it's a bungalow so wiring is not hard.

The networking side of things is where I'd fall flat though.

• Advertisement

I have 4 but I'm considering adding a 5th.

I'm tempted to do the upgrade myself since most of the wiring is already in place. Plus it's a bungalow so wiring is not hard.

The networking side of things is where I'd fall flat though.

Ah yeah if you can give it a go then why not especially with the cabling being there already.

The networking is not that hard. Plenty of guides online or here.

Ah yeah if you can give it a go then why not especially with the cabling being there already.

The networking is not that hard. Plenty of guides online or here.

Any suggestions in the hardware? I need a new recorder too. The one I have is only 4 channel, and also a real pain in the ass in terms of user unfriendliness.

Any suggestions in the hardware? I need a new recorder too. The one I have is only 4 channel, and also a real pain in the ass in terms of user unfriendliness.

The link below has the Hiwatch range. Iv installed some and it is good stuff. It is the lower range of their gear aimed at the domestic market but it is still good stuff. Easy to use and a better GUI than Qvis and Dahua.

https://www.freetv.ie/cctv/ip/nvrs/

They have HIKvision gear aswell but you need to login to see the prices for them.

https://www.freetv.ie/ip-cctv-systems/

This looks good alright.

Yeah it would be. Iv put that range in for people and there isnt a massive difference compared to the pro range in a domestic setting.

• Advertisement

Yeah it would be. Iv put that range in for people and there isnt a massive difference compared to the pro range in a domestic setting.

I do have a pretty big bungalow in the country, big yard etc. Probably 20-25 metres from the house to the gate etc.

I do have a pretty big bungalow in the country, big yard etc. Probably 20-25 metres from the house to the gate etc.

You have a camera on your gate or are you putting one out there?

You have a camera on your gate or are you putting one out there?

Not on the gate unfortunately, would have to run cable down there and it would be a pain.

But I would like one on the front corner of the house looking towards it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,188 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Not on the gate unfortunately, would have to run cable down there and it would be a pain.

Phil

I would have thought that would have been the No1 location for a camera to begin with. To have 4 in place and none covering the entrance seems strange.

Did you install it or was it previous owner?

NIMAN wrote: »
    Phil

I would have thought that would have been the No1 location for a camera to begin with. To have 4 in place and none covering the entrance seems strange.

Did you install it or was it previous owner?

The gate is 25m from the house with no ducting in place, and no way to lay any without chewing up the concrete.

A camera on the house pointing towards the gate is as good as it gets.

I had it installed by an engineer from Derry. With hindsight I wouldn't recommend the guy.

Currently there is a camera on the back of the house, I want one on the front corner (blue spot) facing down.

Excuse the lighting, that's the only picture showing the house and gate that I could find at 1am.

474882.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,188 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The gate is 25m from the house with no ducting in place, and no way to lay any without chewing up the concrete.

A camera on the house pointing towards the gate is as good as it gets.

I had it installed by an engineer from Derry. With hindsight I wouldn't recommend the guy.

Yeah, wasn't advocating digging up anything, but a camera where you have your circle, why wasn't that done as one of your 4 initially?

As for the installer, feel free to PM me his name so I know who to avoid;)

NIMAN wrote: »
    Yeah, wasn't advocating digging up anything, but a camera where you have your circle, why wasn't that done as one of your 4 initially?

As for the installer, feel free to PM me his name so I know who to avoid;)

I don't honestly remember, there is one on that front corner but it's pointing across the front of the house.

Ah right was wondering is all. Up where you have it marked is a good spot for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Don't forget the "boards" discount of 7.5% :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

I use Reolink. Plug and play. You’ll be able to do it all yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

Dahua and Qvis use the same horrible GUI. HIKvision or Hiwatch by HIKvision is alot better.

I was recommended a QVIS / DAHUA DVR by installer
    https://www.amazon.ca/Qvis-Surveillance-Resolution-BlackBerry-Detection/dp/B005I63WOM
    I was planning to get a COBRA DVR as i allready have their twilight cameras installed
    https://cctvdirect.co.uk/products/cctv-systems/cobra-hdtvi-solutions/cobra-dvr-solutions/16ch-cobra-compact-hdt-h/

but installer said his QVIS was way better and his was the same price..... Oh god how wrong he was. i have perfect internet 360mb yet the DVR needs constant resetting, jerky live feed, random resets. jerky replay.
    A BLOODY PAIN. if you log in and out too many it locks up too.
    My mate has a Hikvision DVR with same twilight CCTV direct cameras as me but the playback and feed is outstanding. no jerkiness he has not even rebooted the system for 4 months !!!!!

If you see DAHUA or QVIS Run in my opinion.

I will be upgrading mine soon too

Does anyone know what system the UK Cobra DVR's use.? Would the HIKVISION be a step above the COBRA GUI?? Has anyone here used the COBRA DVR?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Ordered on Friday and it arrived today.

Ordered on Friday and it arrived today.

Let me know how it goes.

As far as cabling and physical installation goes, I'll have no issues.

It's the networking side I'd struggle with. App setup etc. Does the company have an online help setup or anything? Or even phone support?

Also I really need to get my fibre broadband setup completed. I have a poxy 5mb line that rarely gets above 3mb. Area is now fibre enabled though but I just need to get some ducting sorted for the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

What would be the difference between those expensive systems and something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/ANNKE-Simplified-Weatherproof-Smartphone-Control/dp/B07CSN4TMM/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=Annke+CCTV+4MP&qid=1552319945&s=gateway&sr=8-3

I have an annke model myself not 4MP one but i find my system to be great. image quality is very good and alerts operate fantastically. I have mine integrated with Slack.

Let me know how it goes.

As far as cabling and physical installation goes, I'll have no issues.

It's the networking side I'd struggle with. App setup etc. Does the company have an online help setup or anything? Or even phone support?

Also I really need to get my fibre broadband setup completed. I have a poxy 5mb line that rarely gets above 3mb. Area is now fibre enabled though but I just need to get some ducting sorted for the line.

Networking is easy to do. Who is your broadband provider?

Your upload is more important than your download when it comes to cctv.

Networking is easy to do. Who is your broadband provider?

Your upload is more important than your download when it comes to cctv.

I'm with Eir. Just did a speed test and got 3.31 down, 0.29 up.

I suspect that networking is only easy if you know how!

I am going to get my broadband sorted though. Fibre is the same price as I'm currently paying for muck so madness not to get the ducting done and get the install..

I'm with Eir. Just did a speed test and got 3.31 down, 0.29 up.

I suspect that networking is only easy if you know how!

I am going to get my broadband sorted though. Fibre is the same price as I'm currently paying for muck so madness not to get the ducting done and get the install..

Upload is poor alright.

Well we can help you here with the networking whenever you get sorted.

Much appreciated. I think I will have a go at upgrading by myself.

The one linked to earlier:

Would you say that's the best option? I don't mind spending a little more for a better system.

My current cameras struggle to read my own number plate when I'm parked outside my house.

• Advertisement

Much appreciated. I think I will have a go at upgrading by myself.

The one linked to earlier:

Would you say that's the best option? I don't mind spending a little more for a better system.

My current cameras struggle to read my own number plate when I'm parked outside my house.

It says in one bit that the cameras have a 4mm lens then down further that they are 2.8mm. Before you get cameras just check that they are what you want. 2.8mm have a very good field of view. Its what id go for.

Advertisement