Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Radio

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

Elmo wrote: »
    Almost exactly them same script on KFM & LMFM slightly different order.

Of course they will have the same script, national/international news stories are provided by Newstalk, there is no reason for each station to waste resources rewriting the scripts they receive. Each station is free to choose which stories they run and different stations presumably have different allocations to local news, the local station in my area usually has a good mix of stories and will usually put a local slant on national stories where possible.

The daytime talk show usually has a good focus on local and regional issues too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

As a former radio journo for some 28 years I can avow that Imreoir2 is bang on.

Newstalk supplies national and international (the latter via Sky's British syndicated radio news service) stories and audio clips for local stations to use as they see fit. Sky's UK service does the same thing over the water.

Copy is on the computer screen, ally it to any relevant audio clip or clips and away you go. Much simpler than the early days of national/international news stories being supplied by Century then INN when it was literally a rip-n-read service - print the copy from a terminal and transfer audio clips to carts.

Due to budget restrictions (news comes last when budgets are allocated) local station newsrooms are small, normally between three and six persons, so spreading them out over seven days leaves very little time for chasing local stories but they are followed up on where possible. So don't blame the journos for the lack of local stories.

And, yes, morning magazine programmes are a great source of local news content, as that's where listeners phone in with stories relevant to the catchment area and also where local politicians battle to get air time to discuss local issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

RadioRetro wrote: »
    So don't blame the journos for the lack of local stories.

I wasn't, I'd be blaming the station owners.

I mean I think much of what I said before is correct. Late Night national news service (from Newstalk in most cases) and daytime with local stories fitted into national/international news stories. And a chatshow.

From how the IBI go on, I expected a more RTÉ Radio 1 schedule on a smaller scale, during the day, more like Today FM drive time or Morning news programme and a Talk Show with the rest music.

From what I listen to very briefly on the chatshows, it was much more national and international than local.

Advertisement