Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are things slightly more expensive today?

Options
  • 04-03-2019 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭

Is it just me or is everything a bit more expensive today?

I bought a sausage roll for breakfast for E1.05 (1.00 last week) and soup for lunch for E2.10 (2.00 last week).

Is Brexit starting or did something budget related kick in this week?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

€2.10 for soup!!! I'd want a proper bowl, spoon and a sandwich along with it for that price!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Just greedy businesses OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

€3.60 for 2 Jambons the other day!

was that hungover I'd have given her a Score to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Of course. To satiate the share holders and the upper management ridiculous remunerations. Corporate greed knows no bounds.

Prices go up slightly. Products volume goes down slightly. We pay more. We get less. Corporate get rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭homosapien91

Probably the increase in hospitality tax taking effect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,122 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Brexit will be blamed/justified for the rises most likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

QE

Quantitive Easing. The Central Bank started printing money to drive inflation up to deal with historical debts which are reduced in real terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Amik

Probably the increase in hospitality tax taking effect

I think you found it!

https://www.thejournal.ie/vat-rate-hospitality-sector-budget-2019-4276194-Oct2018/

Damn, and I was thinking of getting a haircut tomorrow, too. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

VAT has gone up so everything's going to go up. The price of a pint went up two weeks ago. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

Has anyone noticed things getting smaller but the price remains the same - shrinkflation!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,122 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

That's going on for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

You should see it now, past-Amik. Present-Amik is feeling the burn even more. Only future-Amik will have it worse. At least diesel is still cheap and Putin is dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Ahh 2019, when cheap stuff still existed

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Nothing to do with brexit, its general inflation,cafes have to raise prices, basic items, like meat,cheese ,pork are going up in price, also energy prices are rising, cafes ,shops, need to have heating and lights on when they are open .theres a supply chain crisis, a standard shipping container has gone up in cost by 5 to 10 times .shops or cafes dont make anything, when the items they sell go up they either raise prices or

go out of business

Its like the 70s ,inflation is back in full force, with rising energy costs

of course Gen z does not remember the 70s, inflation, rising fuel prices .its a shock to them

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Ireland had very low inflation from 2013-2020, less than 1% a year. Now that it's high again, it feels very painful. However much of the increase has gone on fuel which is double what it was 5-7 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Me and the partner noticed there sneaking up the price on the bottom end. Stuff that was 90c now like €1.50. Sugar drink are cheaper than none sugar. Wine that's around the €7 mark is 11.5% for red.

Advertisement