Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OnePlus 7 Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭MickH503

54and56 wrote: »
    Sorry for dragging up this thread but my 7T Pro has suddenly started closing apps I open. It's been running perfectly since day one back in Nov 2019 but all of a sudden today most apps I open pop open for a second or two then close.

I've tried rebooting several times but that hasn't solved it.

I really don't want to have to do a full factory reset and have all the hassle of setting everything back up again hence I'm here to a) ask if anyone has experienced similar and b) if there is a known fix which doesn't involve a factory reset or similar?

I'm on the latest Oxygen update 10.0.14.HD01BA.

I have the OnePlus 7 Pro and haven't seen any problems, but apparently Google broke something with an update. Try updating Android System WebView and Google Chrome via Google Play Store as per this article ...
    https://www.androidauthority.com/android-apps-crashing-1210994/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭54and56

MickH503 wrote: »
    I have the OnePlus 7 Pro and haven't seen any problems, but apparently Google broke something with an update. Try updating Android System WebView and Google Chrome via Google Play Store as per this article ...
    https://www.androidauthority.com/android-apps-crashing-1210994/

Thanks Mick,

I read the article and decided to install the Beta version of the Android System Webview app (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.webview.beta), uninstalled the stock version and updated the Google Chrome app along with all other pending app updates.

Rebooted the phone and no app crashes so far.

Will update if the above hasn't solved the problem.

Might be a useful reference for others experiencing the same problem.

Edit: Sorry to report that the phone continues to close apps straight after they open. Will revert to the original updated Android System Webview app and see if that solves the problem. The reason I switched to the Beta version last night is that the stock version wouldn't update, it was stuck at "pending" when I tried to update it.

Edit #2: Deleting the Beta version of the Android System Webview app and re-installing (the latest presumably updated) version of the stock Android System Webview app plus a re-boot seems to have done the trick. No app crashes in the last few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,143 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Sorry if this is in wrong place.
    I have 900points from referrals.
    Can I use them on top of somebody's referral code for accessories when buying a new phone.
    I'm after forgetting how it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

Any tips on where I could find a new 7T with shipping to Ireland? Seems out of stock most places, and customs charges with Aliexpress would be quite high.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭5star02707

radiospan wrote: »
    Any tips on where I could find a new 7T with shipping to Ireland? Seems out of stock most places, and customs charges with Aliexpress would be quite high.

Amazon France has one

https://www.amazon.fr/OnePlus-Smartphone-Front-Kamera-Allemande-espagnole/dp/B07XJ4S3Y8/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=OnePlus+7t&qid=1617220111&sr=8-3

• Advertisement

Sorry for dragging up this thread but my 7T Pro has suddenly started closing apps I open. It's been running perfectly since day one back in Nov 2019 but all of a sudden today most apps I open pop open for a second or two then close.

I've tried rebooting several times but that hasn't solved it.

I really don't want to have to do a full factory reset and have all the hassle of setting everything back up again hence I'm here to a) ask if anyone has experienced similar and b) if there is a known fix which doesn't involve a factory reset or similar?

I'm on the latest Oxygen update 10.0.14.HD01BA.

Here's what you can do use oneplus switch and make a backup. Copy that backup to your computer then you can factory reset. Restore your copied backup and see if that works

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭NATLOR

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

5star02707 wrote: »

Thanks! This price seems to be in line with what I've seen on Aliexpress (about €380 was the cheapest there).
    NATLOR wrote: »
    You could get the 8T for that price

Have you a link? Most new 8Ts I've seen are a good bit more, around €520.

radiospan wrote:
    Have you a link? Most new 8Ts I've seen are a good bit more, around €550.

The price on that link yesterday was over 500 euro it's changed today

• Registered Users Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Has anyone got their Android 11 update yet? I read it was rolling out about 10 days back but I'm still waiting here, unlocked 7 Pro I bought from Amazon Italy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Has anyone got their Android 11 update yet? I read it was rolling out about 10 days back but I'm still waiting here, unlocked 7 Pro I bought from Amazon Italy.

In the past installing a VPN and setting the region to Canada would work.
    Not sure if this still works though.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭cal naughton

I updated mine with the Oxygen Updater app.

Im on 11 ( stable version) a few weeks now I use the oxygen updater app.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭MickH503

I updated mine with the Oxygen Updater app.

I did the same last night ... no issues. Just download the Oxygen Updater app from the Play Store and follow the instructions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Cheers, got it there through that app. I'd usually just wait for the official channel as I'm not that fussed but they were so slow rolling this out for the 7, the 8 and 8 pro got Android 11 in January... after it was launched last September.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭corks finest

Na nothing yet, rolling out alright,tried to download it from xda no Joy

MickH503 wrote: »
    I did the same last night ... no issues. Just download the Oxygen Updater app from the Play Store and follow the instructions.

Wish I was so lucky.

Downloaded the Oxygen Updater app last night, followed the instructions, updated, got a "Successfully Updated" message then rebooted as requested and the phone has been constantly rebooting ever since, literally 5-10 seconds after rebooting it reboots again and is trapped in that cycle. I left it on at 80% charge as I went to bed last night and now it is fully dead and out of battery.

Have no idea what to do, it's currently off but charging.

I could try a restore from a previous backup when it comes back on but I'm not getting enough time between reboots to do anything.

I used to be handy at flashing ROM's etc years ago but haven't had to do any messing around like that for over 5 years at least.

Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Wish I was so lucky.

Downloaded the Oxygen Updater app last night, followed the instructions, updated, got a "Successfully Updated" message then rebooted as requested and the phone has been constantly rebooting ever since, literally 5-10 seconds after rebooting it reboots again and is trapped in that cycle. I left it on at 80% charge as I went to bed last night and now it is fully dead and out of battery.

Have no idea what to do, it's currently off but charging.

I could try a restore from a previous backup when it comes back on but I'm not getting enough time between reboots to do anything.

I used to be handy at flashing ROM's etc years ago but haven't had to do any messing around like that for over 5 years at least.

Any suggestions?

I messed up yesterday upgrading to android 11 and then trying to root etc. I got myself stuck in a bootloop and could only get to the bootloader. I ended up wiping the phone using the tool below.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/tool-op7p-tool-all-in-one-drivers-unlock-twrp-factory-image-stock-recovery.3930862/

I could't get anything else working.

T-b0n3 wrote: »
    I messed up yesterday upgrading to android 11 and then trying to root etc. I got myself stuck in a bootloop and could only get to the bootloader. I ended up wiping the phone using the tool below.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/tool-op7p-tool-all-in-one-drivers-unlock-twrp-factory-image-stock-recovery.3930862/

Thanks T-b0n3, this isn't how I had planned to spend my time today :(

Think I'm going to try and do factory reset and re-flash the latest "official" oneplus firmware for the 7T Pro (why couldn't I just wait for the official update!!) and see if the OneDrive backup option I've had ticked in settings will actually restore properly.

If that doesn't work, the tool you linked to looks like it's sideload an appropriate ROM and I'll just have to start downloading the 150 or so apps I use on the phone, organise screen layouts and widgets etc. PITA :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Thanks T-b0n3, this isn't how I had planned to spend my time today :(

Think I'm going to try and do factory reset and re-flash the latest "official" oneplus firmware for the 7T Pro (why couldn't I just wait for the official update!!) and see if the OneDrive backup option I've had ticked in settings will actually restore properly.

If that doesn't work, the tool you linked to looks like it's sideload an appropriate ROM and I'll just have to start downloading the 150 or so apps I use on the phone, organise screen layouts and widgets etc. PITA :mad:

I clicked format on that tool, and then the phone booted back up normally and I was able to use my google back up, so all my apps downloaded automatically. I also had a nova backup to bring my home screen etc back to normal so wasn't too painful. Just took some time for my phone to download all the apps. Then it's just a case of signing back in.

But yes, I wasted a lot of time yesterday afternoon trying to "fix" my mistake.

• Advertisement

I clicked format on that tool, and then the phone booted back up normally and I was able to use my google back up, so all my apps downloaded automatically. I also had a nova backup to bring my home screen etc back to normal so wasn't too painful. Just took some time for my phone to download all the apps. Then it's just a case of signing back in.

But yes, I wasted a lot of time yesterday afternoon trying to "fix" my mistake.

Thought I had backups of both my phone (to Google Drive as the option was ticked on the phone before I tried the update last night) and I also use Nova Prime but switched from Google Drive to OneDrive for storage 6 months ago and don't think I did a Nova backup since so am without either type of backup :o

On the plus side getting a factory reset kicked off in the few seconds before the phone re-booted seems to have worked and at least it's now stable (well for 45 minutes thus far), is on Android 11 and it feels like a new phone!!

Scraping the barrel a bit for some positive :P

Also, glad I held onto my OP5 for that "rainy day". Popped my sim into it, powered it up and in 5 minutes I was back up and running with the basics i.e. phone, SMS and WhatsApp.

The rest can wait until tonight.

Feckin hell I'm staying away so

Feckin hell I'm staying away so

Well I'm having an absolutely terrible experience.

Managed between the 10 second reboots to get a Factory Reset initiated and when that completed the newly installed Oxygen version of Android 11 stopped rebooting.

I gave it a few hours and then started loading back all my apps etc but it's burning battery which I know can happen as there's a lot of data being sync'd e.g. 13GB of WhatsApp media files etc but even so from 100% to 29% in 3 hours is rapid depletion and the back of the phone feels very warm.

In addition it seems like not all apps are ready for Android 11 e.g. MS Outlook won't let me load a 2nd work email address which I've always been able to do on older versions of Android. When I try to add the 2nd work email address instead of setting it up a Google account dialogue box pops up even though the address I'm entering is via the MS Outlook app and is nothing to do with a Google Account.

Same with contacts. All my contacts are in my MS Outlook account associated with my main MS Outlook email address but when I go into the Phone app or the Contacts app settings to choose which email account it should pull contacts from the email account I have set up in MS Outlook isn't listed, the only option I'm offered is my Google/Gmail account which is no good to me so as of now I'm getting half my work emails, all my incoming calls have no names associated with them (Do I recognise this number? Do I want to answer or not? Etc) and I'm unable to make outbound calls unless I use MS Outlook on my PC to look up the persons number and then manually call it.

I'll stick with it tomorrow and see if I can make progress but if I can't I'm going to have to figure out a way to wipe the phone again and go back to an older / stable version of Oxygen.

Well I'm having an absolutely terrible experience.

Managed between the 10 second reboots to get a Factory Reset initiated and when that completed the newly installed Oxygen version of Android 11 stopped rebooting.

I gave it a few hours and then started loading back all my apps etc but it's burning battery which I know can happen as there's a lot of data being sync'd e.g. 13GB of WhatsApp media files etc but even so from 100% to 29% in 3 hours is rapid depletion and the back of the phone feels very warm.

In addition it seems like not all apps are ready for Android 11 e.g. MS Outlook won't let me load a 2nd work email address which I've always been able to do on older versions of Android. When I try to add the 2nd work email address instead of setting it up a Google account dialogue box pops up even though the address I'm entering is via the MS Outlook app and is nothing to do with a Google Account.

Same with contacts. All my contacts are in my MS Outlook account associated with my main MS Outlook email address but when I go into the Phone app or the Contacts app settings to choose which email account it should pull contacts from the email account I have set up in MS Outlook isn't listed, the only option I'm offered is my Google/Gmail account which is no good to me so as of now I'm getting half my work emails, all my incoming calls have no names associated with them (Do I recognise this number? Do I want to answer or not? Etc) and I'm unable to make outbound calls unless I use MS Outlook on my PC to look up the persons number and then manually call it.

I'll stick with it tomorrow and see if I can make progress but if I can't I'm going to have to figure out a way to wipe the phone again and go back to an older / stable version of Oxygen.

Feck lad's fierce unlucky ,you'd have thought by this time the OTA updates would have arrived and we'd all be fine-

Feck lad's fierce unlucky ,you'd have thought by this time the OTA updates would have arrived and we'd all be fine-

Mmmm, if only.

I swear I'll never EVER allow curiosity to get the better of me when it comes to phone OS's ever again.

What upside could Android 11 ever have brought to me that was worth risking the level of grief I'm now experiencing???

Mmmm, if only.

I swear I'll never EVER allow curiosity to get the better of me when it comes to phone OS's ever again.

What upside could Android 11 ever have brought to me that was worth risking the level of grief I'm now experiencing???
    Agreed,but sure we're human- I tried and failed thank God to update it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

I have been on the Open Beta of Android 11 for months and I have absolutely no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Mmmm, if only.

Was like that a few years ago always had latest update before it was available until phone buggered up old One plus phone

Now have back up so many times and one copy always kept on PC

Currently on rooted xxxNoLimits module and working ok with kernel installed and just updating as and when I get updates on phone

As and when 11 comes along will need to look at other compatible Roms

Updated to android 11 no problem. Just make sure to do a oneplus switch back up and copy that file to your pc for a peace of mind.

Can always restore your files

• Advertisement

Was like that a few years ago always had latest update before it was available until phone buggered up old One plus phone

Now have back up so many times and one copy always kept on PC

Currently on rooted xxxNoLimits module and working ok with kernel installed and just updating as and when I get updates on phone

As and when 11 comes along will need to look at other compatible Roms

I'm having a terrible time with Android 11.

In particular I can't add a 2nd work email to my Outlook email app and I can't get the phone or contacts app to see the main work email address I set up in Outlook as the source to pull contacts from. All I get offered is the option to set my Gmail as the source of my contacts but that's not what I use Gmail for.

I'm thinking of factory resetting and trying again but I think the fundamental problem is with the Android 11 version of Oxygen OS I installed and I've no idea how to either replace that with a new copy of the ROM, downgrade to an official Android 10 Oxygen ROM or flash an independent ROM but if I do the latter (I've forgotten where to even start, I guess over on XDA?) AFAIK that'll prevent Google Pay from working and I use that all the time.

Any advice / suggestions? I really don't want this to continue into next week.

Advertisement