Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weight Loss Plan

Options
  • 03-03-2019 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭

Hi all,

Male, early forties, I’m approx 3 stone overweight and the scales keep going the wrong way so time to address it before it gets too far out of control, I’m looking for simple tips to drop the weight, my biggest problem is breakfast during the working week, I tend to skip it and just have coffee in the morning then have lunch, it’s just cereals etc dont do it for me and always craving red meat, a bad habit I’ve developed over the years but ready to tackle this head on and looking for tips, I’m not a mad gym head and don’t really have an interest in becoming muscular purely just want to drop the 2.5 stones & looking for effective methods

Thanks all

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Have you tried downloading myfitnesspal and charting your food intake? You can set a daily target and it can help you stick to it.

At the end of the day calories in vs calories out and running a deficit of 1000 a day to drop 2 pounds a week is a good strategy.

Exercise is also good for general health and it cant hurt you lose weight, but is less important than diet in itself.

A good trick, although easier said than done is if you tend to snack in the evenings, try going for a run instead during the time youd be just grazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Yea, I have found tracking your food on my fitness pal is good to police yourself - like those horrible shows that put your food on a table and tell you how bad they are - but it's just you and your phone :)

Good simple advice I got a long time ago is that you should eat like your great grandparents would have, and you'll be grand. If it's been grown or killed, fill your boots! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Wegian

Yea, I have found tracking your food on my fitness pal is good to police yourself - like those horrible shows that put your food on a table and tell you how bad they are - but it's just you and your phone :)

Good simple advice I got a long time ago is that you should eat like your great grandparents would have, and you'll be grand. If it's been grown or killed, fill your boots! :)

Agee with all of this. My Fitness Pal is a great asset as it’s mainly diet you need to fix I would expect

Re gym it may be easier to join some kind of fitness classes as opposed to going solo on a gym effort

• Registered Users Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Another vote for myfitnesspal, with kitchen scales when you can. You could well find initially portion control will go a long way.

What worked for me was going for a 500 calorie deficit from food, and 500 from exercise rather than trying to run a 1000 calorie deficit just from food. I only ate any "earned" calories above 500, so even though "burned" may not be accurate, I was contributing to the deficit somewhat. A 1000 just from food wouldn't be sustainable for me - and I think that it's important that it's a change in diet, rather than a diet, if you're going to keep it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

keto.

• Advertisement
Advertisement