Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

M50 widening and junction expansion thread

• 03-03-2019 3:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,434 ✭✭✭✭

As per Marno's suggestion a brand new thread.

OP note

This is NOT a thread for either ecomentalists or public transport enthusiasts

Want to discuss that as an alternative - go somewhere else. None of that nonsense.

This is hardcore tarmac here.

We need the best ideas for widening the M50 and expanding existing flyovers.

My plan is to follow the US and build elevated toll routes along the M50. The existing carriageway (expanded to 5 lanes each way + aux) would be free.

See this vid of Dallas (from 1:42) - this WILL work. Elevated and trenched/tunneled freeflow tolling lanes with their own flyovers. Other lanes free to use.

This is what Dublin needs.

Let's do it already. :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

Do you have a cost estimate?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,434 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

€1bn given the length compared to my example but it would be privately funded. The company could also pay for expansion of the current free mainline to 6 lanes each way as well.

Quick, painless and cheap for the taxpayer. Also awesome.

Let's do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

€1bn given the length compared to my example but it would be privately funded.

Could you elaborate where did you get that figure from?

Just out of curiosity, this idea is as realistic as pink unicorns promised for all.

Let's do it.

Dream on... ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 56 ✭✭bluetractor

With a large proportion of traffic coming off the M1, M2 & M3 and then onto the M4 & M7 (and vice versa), would a motorway going from Drogheda to Naas and intersecting with just the M2-M7 motorways or similar be a better option with a low toll fee applied and take all that traffic away. Add in some link up with the Port tunnel via Horizon logistic park and that would take the majority of large trucks off the M50 as well as all the transiting motorists.

Go further and make a new junction into and out of Greenogue from the N7 south of Rathcoole. If memory serves me right, there is some old plan for the area near the revamped Applegreen)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

They can use the aux lane and it would continue on from where it veers of at junctions. There is enough space between most bridges for four lanes. Then you just tarmac to the left of the six lane a few hundred meters before junction, there also looks to me to be the space for this.

The notion of an outer bypass is laughable to me. Metro link with upgrading of green line to metro will Hoover a lot of traffic off m50. There is no way masses more money will be thrown at m50, not a chance.

Am eastern bypass 15-20 years away after metro link if it’s needed , is far more sustainable... and the route is reserved.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Can you give costings for your 1bn?

It's been stated numerous times that the M50 will not be expanded further and that other solutions are needed

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Tomrota

Or we could just invest in a cohesive metro/tram network in the GDA and allow the M50 to cool off.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭vrusinov

This topic title is very misleading - there are no official plans to widen M50, and we don't need them.

M50 would be a fine road if we can remove most of regular commuters from it. Perhaps we can narrow it to two lanes and plant some trees/bushes in the middle?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 210 ✭✭Ted Johnson

American highways are a thing of beauty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

American highways are a thing of beauty.

Some of them are, others are monstrous carbunkles, ploughing through dense urban areas on 2 or more levels.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

vrusinov wrote: »
    This topic title is very misleading - there are no official plans to widen M50, and we don't need them.

M50 would be a fine road if we can remove most of regular commuters from it. Perhaps we can narrow it to two lanes and plant some trees/bushes in the middle?
    Thread title change to reflect this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭nordydan

Why don't you just tarmac the entire country and be done with it??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,729 ✭✭✭SeanW

Jesus, do you even live in Ireland?

Dallas Fort Worth has more people that all of Ireland put together. It also has land usage patterns not common anywhere in Europe and much more extreme weather (most of the US does) that make spending lots of time outdoors walking, cycling, waiting for buses and trains much more of a non starter than in places with a more temperate climate, like Ireland.

Forget all these 5 level stacks and 12 lane tollways and all that sort of nonsense, it just doesn't apply here and it isn't needed.

That's not to say that roads aren't needed - they are, but the needs are way more modest. At minimum, I would go with:
    • Metro Link and DART Underground in Dublin.
    • Quad Track all main lines from Connolly. Maybe not Bray/Rosslare because it would be too difficult, but the Northern and Maynooth lines absolutely in addition to the Kildare line further beyond Hazelhatch.
    • Park and Rides along all railway main lines from Dublin. At the Northern and Southern ends of the Metro Link and on all the main DART lines.
    • M20 Cork to Limerick. In Full. Now.
    • Full M40 ring around Cork City. Motorway all the way. Widen whatever needs to be widened.
    • Galway Bypass. Motorway the whole way.
    • Expand the M2, M3, M4 both back towards the M50 allowing motorway-to-motorway interchange, and expand all 3 motorways further towards the regions.
    • Expand the M7 over the current N7 back to the M50 interchange. Again, motorway-to-motorway interchange for all M50-M7 movements.
    • Replace the Rathmorrissey roundabout on the M6/M17/M18 with a Partially Unrolled Cloverleaf.
    • Replace that stupid roundabout at the M1 exit for Dublin Airport and replace it with a Trumpet junction. Partially grade separate the Airport Motorway spur junction with the R132 so that traffic can cross from the M1 into the airport without crossing the old N1.
    • Begin planning for a Leinster Motorway, connecting Portaloise, Mullingar, Drogheda and suchlike points in the region, the same to be started after higher priority problems are dealt with.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Tipp Red

Build a motorway from M7/M9 junction to north of Drogheda. Then, traffic from the South and Waterford/Kilkenny to the North wouldnt have to go near the M50?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Tipp Red wrote: »
    Build a motorway from M7/M9 junction to north of Drogheda. Then, traffic from the South and Waterford/Kilkenny to the North wouldnt have to go near the M50?
    The level of traffic that would use that motorway is too small to justify the massive cost of such a project.

In addition it would just promote sprawl and further expansion of Dublin and would do little for traffic on the M50, the majority of which is commuter traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

How about providing public transport solutions to move some commuters from driving to getting driven.

And a cycling link to connect across the Liffey from D15 south

You'd accept.....

Hilarious

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod:

@ Kermit.de.frog

Please do not post any more American videos showing inappropriate roads.

1. The Gov does not have the funds to build such roads.

2. We do not have the space for such roads.

3. We desperately need public transport infrastructure because the cars are causing grid lock throughout Dublin and its surrounds.

Also, do not get involved in backseat moderation - it never ends well.

I have deleted your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

SeanW wrote: »
    Jesus, do you even live in Ireland?

Dallas Fort Worth has more people that all of Ireland put together. It also has land usage patterns not common anywhere in Europe and much more extreme weather (most of the US does) that make spending lots of time outdoors walking, cycling, waiting for buses and trains much more of a non starter than in places with a more temperate climate, like Ireland.

Forget all these 5 level stacks and 12 lane tollways and all that sort of nonsense, it just doesn't apply here and it isn't needed.

That's not to say that roads aren't needed - they are, but the needs are way more modest. At minimum, I would go with:
    • Metro Link and DART Underground in Dublin.
    • Quad Track all main lines from Connolly. Maybe not Bray/Rosslare because it would be too difficult, but the Northern and Maynooth lines absolutely in addition to the Kildare line further beyond Hazelhatch.
    • Park and Rides along all railway main lines from Dublin. At the Northern and Southern ends of the Metro Link and on all the main DART lines.
    • M20 Cork to Limerick. In Full. Now.
    • Full M40 ring around Cork City. Motorway all the way. Widen whatever needs to be widened.
    • Galway Bypass. Motorway the whole way.
    • Expand the M2, M3, M4 both back towards the M50 allowing motorway-to-motorway interchange, and expand all 3 motorways further towards the regions.
    • Expand the M7 over the current N7 back to the M50 interchange. Again, motorway-to-motorway interchange for all M50-M7 movements.
    • Replace the Rathmorrissey roundabout on the M6/M17/M18 with a Partially Unrolled Cloverleaf.
    • Replace that stupid roundabout at the M1 exit for Dublin Airport and replace it with a Trumpet junction. Partially grade separate the Airport Motorway spur junction with the R132 so that traffic can cross from the M1 into the airport without crossing the old N1.
    • Begin planning for a Leinster Motorway, connecting Portaloise, Mullingar, Drogheda and suchlike points in the region, the same to be started after higher priority problems are dealt with.

When do you run for office and when can I vote for you?
    HOWEVER
    I'm not too worried about the Rathmorrissey roundabout and Leinster Motorway just yet. I'd put ambitious sustainable transport projects in Galway, Limerick, Cork above these.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

HOWEVER
    I'm not too worried about the Rathmorrissey roundabout and Leinster Motorway just yet. I'd put ambitious sustainable transport projects in Galway, Limerick, Cork above these.

Rathmorrissey was beyond stupid but it is now done and will likely remain that way for decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Rathmorrissey was beyond stupid but it is now done and will likely remain that way for decades.

Yep a crazy mistake to make, but I don't think remediation works are too urgent for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Tipp Red

HOWEVER

Good ideas. Just wondering about the M7 to M50?...would that be continue the M7 along the original planned route to link up with junction 8 on the M50? Or develop the existing Nass Road to motorway standard which would involve building a new road from Dublin to Naas to cater for non motorway traffic?

I've only been through the Rathmorrisey junction a couple of times and really don't see the issue. Does it get incredibly backed up at times or is there some kind of safety issue people are concerned about?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I've only been through the Rathmorrisey junction a couple of times and really don't see the issue. Does it get incredibly backed up at times or is there some kind of safety issue people are concerned about?

It's not freeflow, so has the potential for backlogs, but it's unlikely to have enough traffic to cause backlogs any time soon.

It's not freeflow, so has the potential for backlogs, but it's unlikely to have enough traffic to cause backlogs any time soon.

...or ever?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Why build a more complicated and potentially expensive junction when a simpler, cheaper junction could have been built with a much higher capacity.

A lesson for the future.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

All due to a motorway service area that will never be built

• Registered Users Posts: 23,434 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The problem with Rathmorrisey is that is so retrograde - it's going backwards whereas I thought we were at least getting a grip on better junction designs comparable at least to the continent.

There should be no roundabouts at all on any motorway-motorway interchange.

Shoddy design.

On the continent you build a cheaper, more efficient better designed cloverleaf here. But not in Galway...

Problem is our eejit planners might see it as an acceptable template.

• Advertisement

The problem with Rathmorrisey is that is so retrograde - it's going backwards whereas I thought we were at least getting a grip on better junction designs comparable at least to the continent.

There should be no roundabouts at all on any motorway-motorway interchange.

Shoddy design.

On the continent you build a cheaper, more efficient better designed cloverleaf here. But not in Galway...

Problem is our eejit planners might see it as an acceptable template.

I don't know of anyone who thinks that Rathmorrisey was the best design option. It was done that way to put a single services site off the RAB which was rejected by abp. They never altered the design as a result of that rejection instead just didn't build the services

Advertisement