Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

The Preacher!

  • 02-03-2019 8:50pm
    #1
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭ TheQuietFella


    https://www.wlrfm.com/2019/02/27/84367/

    I can't believe this nonsense when for decades prior to local and general
    elections we had gobsh!tes driving around the city with PA Systems attached
    to their cars, vans and trucks preaching to the masses what their representative
    or party were going to do for the good of Waterford!

    What ever happened to free speech?


«13

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭ Poor Uncle Tom


    I think some direct action is probably needed here, get the 'preacher' the help he actually needs instead of trying to use a sledge to crack a nut.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭ debok


    Leave him at it but get rid of speaker and microphone. It's too loud .if he really wanted to reach people he better off just approaching people in respectful manner.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭ JohnC.


    It's funny/annoying seeing him preaching into the pubs in the Apple Market in the evenings.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,086 ✭✭✭✭ Harry Palmr


    There is a thread on this already. He was a news item during the week on WLR, predictable the cops are powerless according to them.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭ TheQuietFella


    There is a thread on this already. He was a news item during the week on WLR, predictable the cops are powerless according to them.

    They're not powerless to more on the beggars but they walk right past them.

    This poor guy is just spreading the word of God! If it were a Judas figure such
    as John Halligan then there would be a multitude of people there to listen to
    another godless bast*rd! No doubt he'll be given his slot on a local radio station
    to spread false truths and eternal damnation on to all his unbelievers!


    I wonder if WLR should give the preacher a slot on the airwaves?


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭ TheQuietFella


    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/woman-forced-to-wait-19-hours-for-operation-after-suffering-three-heart-attacks-1.3465776?fbclid=IwAR36yl_8ucyAvMSq822eON1ho58w8llAA-T_BXe-acFE6tenUM2V22z0A8I

    Maybe all of 'our' elected representatives should be reminded of another casualty!
    Shane Ross is screaming for improved road safety but we can't save someone in a fu**ing hospital!


  • Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭ Poor Uncle Tom


    So he's to be pitied, harmless, a poor fella!

    Is that because the religious images he loudly paints are being done so in acceptable shades from your perspective?

    What if this vacuous host changed the focus of his bawlings to enlighten us about the virtues of Islam!

    Tolerance has a limit, reached by a lot of people it would appear.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭ TheQuietFella


    So he's to be pitied, harmless, a poor fella!

    Is that because the religious images he loudly paints are being done so in acceptable shades from your perspective?

    What if this vacuous host changed the focus of his bawlings to enlighten us about the virtues of Islam!

    Tolerance has a limit, reached by a lot of people it would appear.


    Are you advocating intolerance?


  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Cabaal


    To the people saying leave him be, if it was somebody preaching scientology or the Islamic faith would you also be fine with them?

    If he wants to preach then leave him go to his church


  • Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭ Poor Uncle Tom


    Are you advocating intolerance?

    It isn't a case of intolerance, more a case of having tolerated enough. Take away the amplifier, all's well. However, this fella still needs help, imo.


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭ TheQuietFella


    Cabaal wrote: »
    To the people saying leave him be, if it was somebody preaching scientology or the Islamic faith would you also be fine with them?

    If he wants to preach then leave him go to his church

    Maybe we should take the same stance on the amount of migrants in our country?

    Jesus says, “And if any place will not welcome you or listen to you, leave that place and shake the dust off your feet as a testimony against them.”


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭ alta stare


    Cabaal wrote: »
    To the people saying leave him be, if it was somebody preaching scientology or the Islamic faith would you also be fine with them?

    If he wants to preach then leave him go to his church

    I dont think the majority of people would care about the preaching of Islam. The issue arises when Islam is spread with the advocating of violence against the very people with whom they live amongst, those very same people who have nothing to do with any war or any oppression served on the Muslim people.

    It is good we are becoming a secular nation. Let people be free to practice religion, let them have the freedom to spread their word as long as it is not encouraging violence or disturbing the peace. I dont think the "preacher" is disturbing the peace so what exactly can the Gardai do?

    When i seen the "preacher" i just laughed to myself and kept on walking for he done me no harm. Im sure at some point he will give up and we will be back to being distracted by the scum fighting in the town. One man and a microphone is the least of our worries.


  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Cabaal


    Maybe we should take the same stance on the amount of migrants in our country?

    There isn't enough roll eyes in the world to respond to such a silly comparison.

    Jesus says, “And if any place will not welcome you or listen to you, leave that place and shake the dust off your feet as a testimony against them.”

    Oh, you want to quote stuff from an old book?, sure we can do that all day.
    :rolleyes:

    Jesus expressed how he wasn't a fan of families
    "I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. And a man's foes shall be they of his own household."

    "If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children,and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple. "

    If your response to somebody disagreeing with on street preaching is to start preaching stuff from a old book then you don't have much of an argument...
    Maybe try stay away from the preaching next time eh?

    alta stare wrote: »
    I dont think the majority of people would care about the preaching of Islam. The issue arises when Islam is spread with the advocating of violence against the very people with whom they live amongst, those very same people who have nothing to do with any war or any oppression served on the Muslim people.

    Christian faiths aren't exactly tolerant in their views towards people either.

    They take a very dim view on gay people and they stand against many aspects of Irish society that we as a country have voted to give people rights on.
    - Contraception
    - Marriage equality
    - Divorce
    - Abortion rights.
    etc

    Having some people preaching a religion that stands against rights that the people of our country have is more than a little unsettling, telling people they'll burn in hell for going against his religion is far from civil behaviour.

    As I said, if he wants to go into his own little church and preach this stuff then he can, but people shouldn't have to listen to this crap walking down the street.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭ alta stare


    Cabaal wrote: »
    There isn't enough roll eyes in the world to respond to such a silly comparison.




    Oh, you want to quote stuff from an old book?, sure we can do that all day.
    :rolleyes:

    Jesus expressed how he wasn't a fan of families
    "I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. And a man's foes shall be they of his own household."

    "If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children,and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple. "

    If your response to somebody disagreeing with on street preaching is to start preaching stuff from a old book then you don't have much of an argument...
    Maybe try stay away from the preaching next time eh?




    Christian faiths aren't exactly tolerant in their views towards people either.

    They take a very dim view on gay people and they stand against many aspects of Irish society that we as a country have voted to give people rights on.
    - Contraception
    - Marriage equality
    - Divorce
    - Abortion rights.
    etc

    Having some people preaching a religion that stands against rights that the people of our country have is more than a little unsettling, telling people they'll burn in hell for going against his religion is far from civil behaviour.

    As I said, if he wants to go into his own little church and preach this stuff then he can, but people shouldn't have to listen to this crap walking down the street.

    They dont have to listen though. They can keep walking which is what most sensible people would do so he is doing no harm.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,086 ✭✭✭✭ Harry Palmr


    You ****ing have to listen if you happen to work there, a bit like the fecking busker corps. The hidden damage is psychological!


  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Cabaal


    alta stare wrote: »
    They dont have to listen though. They can keep walking which is what most sensible people would do so he is doing no harm.

    As already pointed out, those working in the area can't avoid him.

    Also saying you don't have to listen, you can just walk away is nonsense. Its a public square that everyone should be able to enjoy without some person with issues shouting at them about how they'll burn in hell.

    People deserve to be able to enjoy a public space without feeling harrassed


  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭ ThumbTaxed


    If there was such thing as God, Liverpool would win the title this year.

    Until then I remain skeptical.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭ alta stare


    Cabaal wrote: »
    As already pointed out, those working in the area can't avoid him.

    Also saying you don't have to listen, you can just walk away is nonsense. Its a public square that everyone should be able to enjoy without some person with issues shouting at them about how they'll burn in hell.

    People deserve to be able to enjoy a public space without feeling harrassed

    Of course you can just walk away. No one forces you or anyone else to hang around.

    For those who work there then yes i suppose it can become grating on them but i guess the same could be said for those working in shops/offices etc who have to listen to music or radio stations that they may hate. Imagine the poor souls working in retail or bars listening to people talk sh!t day in day out. Iv experienced that and id never do it again.

    If we start whipping people off the street just because you dont like it then we might aswell all move to North Korea.


  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Cabaal


    alta stare wrote: »
    Of course you can just walk away. No one forces you or anyone else to hang around.

    For those who work there then yes i suppose it can become grating on them but i guess the same could be said for those working in shops/offices etc who have to listen to music or radio stations that they may hate. Imagine the poor souls working in retail or bars listening to people talk sh!t day in day out. Iv experienced that and id never do it again.

    If we start whipping people off the street just because you dont like it then we might aswell all move to North Korea.

    Its fairly disingenuous to try compare removing a religious zealot from the street who preaches hell to people to saying we should move to North Korea if we did so.

    Religious organisations have places that they can preach the same as businesses have places they can sell, the council don't allow just any random business to start bothering people on the street trying to sell their products and services (and rightly so).

    The same rules should apply that try to "sell" your religion to people...after all, he is trying to convert people. Thats pretty much the aim of most religions.

    If the council wanted to stop random street business from setting up shop in the middle of the square and pestering people you wouldn't be trying to suggest people might as well move to NK.

    As for your NK comment, it's a fairly flippant and insulting comment to make for the many millions that have been starved to death or murdered in NK to even suggest that we should move there because of wanting one religious zealot to stop his shouting on the street.

    you might want to do some research on NK
    :rolleyes:


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭ alta stare


    Cabaal wrote: »
    Its fairly disingenuous to try compare removing a religious zealot from the street who preaches hell to people to saying we should move to North Korea if we did so.

    Religious organisations have places that they can preach the same as businesses have places they can sell, the council don't allow just any random business to start bothering people on the street trying to sell their products and services (and rightly so).

    The same rules should apply that try to "sell" your religion to people...after all, he is trying to convert people. Thats pretty much the aim of most religions.

    If the council wanted to stop random street business from setting up shop in the middle of the square and pestering people you wouldn't be trying to suggest people might as well move to NK.

    As for your NK comment, it's a fairly flippant and insulting comment to make for the many millions that have been starved to death or murdered in NK to even suggest that we should move there because of wanting one religious zealot to stop his shouting on the street.

    you might want to do some research on NK
    :rolleyes:

    :D jesus wept your last paragraph is something a snowflake would come up with. I see the fake outrage disease is alive and well in you.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭ Captain Red Beard


    ThumbTaxed wrote: »
    If there was such thing as God, Liverpool would win the title this year.

    Until then I remain skeptical.


    There are some miracles not even a God could manage.


  • Registered Users Posts: 33 sevenshades


    I heard 'the preacher' saying that homosexuals will burn in hell the other week. I'd prefer if we weren't allowing people spouting hate speech to have amplification on one of our main thoroughfares. Doesn't feel very cead mile failte.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭ Thinkingaboutit


    I was nearby there earlier today and yesterday. Should have turned for a listen. Anyhow a bye-law against a maybe unhinged street ranter could be used abusively to curb protest, or anyone expressing unpopular views in public.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭ alta stare


    I heard 'the preacher' saying that homosexuals will burn in hell the other week. I'd prefer if we weren't allowing people spouting hate speech to have amplification on one of our main thoroughfares. Doesn't feel very cead mile failte.

    And absolutely if he is spouting nonsense like that then he should be approached and taken to task. Same as if anyone else was saying such things.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭ dartboardio


    Some idiot

    Its funny seeing him shout his opinion

    Your words clearly do not mean that much if no one will listen and you have to force them on passers by....


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭ dartboardio


    alta stare wrote: »
    Of course you can just walk away. No one forces you or anyone else to hang around.

    For those who work there then yes i suppose it can become grating on them but i guess the same could be said for those working in shops/offices etc who have to listen to music or radio stations that they may hate. Imagine the poor souls working in retail or bars listening to people talk sh!t day in day out. Iv experienced that and id never do it again.

    If we start whipping people off the street just because you dont like it then we might aswell all move to North Korea.

    I dont think you're getting the point
    If this man was talking quietly no one would care

    Its the fact that he is invading by shouting through an amplified microphone making it hard to hear anything else. Why should we have to put up with that ****?

    Just because that psycho needs to validate his own beliefs by pushing them on others. He should stick to the guitar playing.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭ alta stare


    I dont think you're getting the point
    If this man was talking quietly no one would care

    Its the fact that he is invading by shouting through an amplified microphone making it hard to hear anything else. Why should we have to put up with that ****?

    Just because that psycho needs to validate his own beliefs by pushing them on others. He should stick to the guitar playing.

    How could he get his point across if he was speaking quietly? Defeats the purpose of the microphone.

    I never said i agreed with what he was doing or saying. He still has a right to do it tho just as you would if you wanted to do such things.

    Funny enough you call him such a thing as iv heard he does actually have psychological problems. Dont know him myself so i dont know if that is true.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭ friendlyfun


    I think that there should be a by law about amplifiers. The electric guitar fella does my head in just as much.


  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭ ThumbTaxed


    I heard 'the preacher' saying that homosexuals will burn in hell the other week. I'd prefer if we weren't allowing people spouting hate speech to have amplification on one of our main thoroughfares. Doesn't feel very cead mile failte.

    If that's his opinion what's the problem?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,210 ✭✭✭✭ Wanderer78


    ThumbTaxed wrote:
    If that's his opinion what's the problem?


    I think we ve moved on from the whole being gay is against the bible thing, some of us anyway


Advertisement