Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Irish ‘Elon Musk’. David Twohig

Options
  • 02-03-2019 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭

Okay he’s not a billionaire but he’s the Vice President and Chief Engineer of Byton cars. A fella by the name of David Twohig from Cork.
    The car is a serious piece of kit.

https://youtu.be/2iNRpsz1uJE

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,774 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I was the first person to mention Byton cars on the whole of boards.ie a few days ago (you can do a search). Now you mention them. I'd say they will be mentioned a few more times in future :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

It’s a beautiful looking car in fairness. Hopefully Leo and co might give them an incentive to set up a European production facility in Ireland. I suppose we can dream on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭jusmeig

unkel wrote: »
    I was the first person to mention Byton cars on the whole of boards.ie a few days ago (you can do a search). Now you mention them. I'd say they will be mentioned a few more times in future :D

Guys, I think unkel was the first to mention Bython, if you do a search you will find confirmation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭zapitastas

jusmeig wrote: »
    Guys, I think unkel was the first to mention Bython, if you do a search you will find confirmation.

No I mentioned bython a few years ago but then deleted the post so you will not find it through the search function. You might not believe me but I know that I did and that is good enough for me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Lads i don't think anyone cares who mentioned it first :)

Also calling him the Irish Elon Musk is really a stretch!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭jusmeig

Jasus lads I'm taking the Mick, who gives a rats who mentioned it first!??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

His accent is atrocious, I hope he wasn’t raised in Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭mattser

L'prof wrote: »

Typical Irish parish pump begrudgery.
    Well done to the lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

mattser wrote: »
    Typical Irish parish pump begrudgery.
    Well done to the lad.

It was nothing of the sort, his accent is all over the place. So bad, I turned the video off after 10s. I’m not in the market for an electric car either. Best of luck to him

L'prof wrote: »

That’s a bit unfair. He’s from Mayfield in Cork City, same place as Roy Keane and even speaks very like Roy if you listen back but he has lived in France and Japan over the last 20+ years working for Renault and Nissan. I think he can also speak French and Japanese so his accent would naturally be all over the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Please stop bickering, you're dragging thread offtopic
    If anyone wants to keep posting in this thread then post in an adult fashion

• Registered Users Posts: 32,987 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Who's Unkel? And what's his accent like?

In all seriousness, nice looking car.
    Would be great to have car manufacturing back in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Is any part of the car made in Ireland. Or is it just based here to dodge tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Reminds me of a Ford Probe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Not sure the Yanks are going to be keen on a Chinese built car. Time will tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

n97 mini wrote: »
    Not sure the Yanks are going to be keen on a Chinese built car. Time will tell.

They'll think it's spying on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

cursai wrote: »
    Is any part of the car made in Ireland. Or is it just based here to dodge tax.

Is it based here? I don't see any reference to Ireland. Only China/Hong Kong.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I'd image they are nowhere yet in terms of producing finished cars onto the market.
    He is using a picture of the interior in this video yet claims to be selling cars later this year.
    Sounds like a complete bullsh1tter to me. No concrete answers, no signed agreements with dealers? just talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

The Atari Jaguar of cars

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭scooby77

More importantly CEO, Carsten was with BMW for 20 years, including 10 as group vice president and led i8 development team!
    A serious company I'd say...seem to have plenty of powerful backers.
    Interesting machines too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

I love big screens but how much is too much? It'll be interesting to see what they will use it for.

The new De Lorean?

Is it not hypocritical that a man who has invested so much in EVs can send a rocket to the ISS?

How many gallons of fuel did the Dragon 2 use?

Back on topic please

• Registered Users Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

NIMAN wrote: »
    Is it not hypocritical that a man who has invested so much in EVs can send a rocket to the ISS?

How many gallons of fuel did the Dragon 2 use?

On David Twohig....he has nothing to do with rockets. I like the look of the car, but I think the Lidar poking out of it ruins the look. I think his explanation for poking the Lidar out of the body of the car is rubbish. He is pretty much saying that we should embrace ugly. I don't buy it. I also side with Musk when he says Lidar is not the future.

On Elon Musk....as I am sure you know, he has been a crucial cog in the machine of change, which is seeing us accelerate the transition from fossil fuel cars to EVs. In Dublin, I cannot go on a short journey to the supermarket without seeing at least 2 EVs. Elon had a strong vision and drive (excuse the pun) and I am personally thankful for that, even though I drive a Leaf.

Sending rockets into space cannot be done at this time using clean fuel, but this is just another area where Elon has made massive changes and for the future benefit of mankind. It's safe to say that his contributions to us via EVs, Solar panels and battery storage have off-set any rocket launch to date and into the future.

Stay Free

Great interview on the Neil Prendeville Show today with David. Podcast here begins at 01:51:50

Comes across as a very down to earth guy.Well worth a listen.

http://www.redfm.ie/on-air/podcasts/neil-prendeville-on-redfm/episode/22nd-march-20191/?autoplay=1

Thanks for sharing. Well worth a listen indeed. I had no idea of the guys credentials. We haven't heard the last from him or from Byton, and that's probably a huge understatement.

Agree. I never knew he was involved in the Renault Zoe until hearing this and as far as I know he was also behind the Alpine sports car which he modestly never mentioned to Prendeville. He’s the kind of guest that Tubridy should be interviewing. Still baffled as to how he’s relatively unknown here in Ireland.

• Advertisement

This Irish Times article from almost a year ago covers most of David's story too. From his youth up to Byton. It must have gone completely under the radar of anyone posting here on boards. I admit I only came across it now myself.

Linky

Must read for anyone who has made it into this thread so far.

Advertisement