Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Xenji wrote: »
    We have only 10.2mm of rain so far this month in Castlebar.

Water restrictions I reckon - if current conditions continue ....

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Tis warm in the sun!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

km79 wrote: »
    Tis warm in the sun!!!!!!

sheer bliss.... Been sitting outside in warm, warm sunshine, watching spectacular clouds.

could someone please ...interpret these! ie show them.

and the next one...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭pauldry

Next 10 days see light showers apart from 8mm of rain on Sunday and 2mm on Thursday morning.

Water restrictions a bit off yet but if there is a 2 week warm spell in the next month or two they will be mentioned once more.

I am seeing yellow grass though in parts.

Seems worse in cut lawns . If you want your grass green leave it to grow as the dew will keep it wet.

• Advertisement

pauldry wrote: »
    Next 10 days see light showers apart from 8mm of rain on Sunday and 2mm on Thursday morning.

Water restrictions a bit off yet but if there is a 2 week warm spell in the next month or two they will be mentioned once more.

I am seeing yellow grass though in parts.

Seems worse in cut lawns . If you want your grass green leave it to grow as the dew will keep it wet.

met,ie keep saying showers tomorrow then they change it to ... showers tomorrow.. Our water pressure was way down a while y;day

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

ME way off with the forecast today, this morning on radio, cloud building to give heavy rain showers, not a cloud on the radar

Storm 10 wrote: »
    ME way off with the forecast today, this morning on radio, cloud building to give heavy rain showers, not a cloud on the radar

we got clouds; see my photos, but nary a drop of water .west mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Rainfall totals for May 2019 and % of their May LTA rainfall up to the 20th at all synoptic stations. I have given their May 2018 totals and driest May record totals (if available) to compare also.

If this dry May continues to the end of the month, it will definitely be among the driest Mays on record I would think for Ireland - following one of the wettest Marches on record.

8JWvMuf.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Thanks for the table. Out of interest what were June - Aug like in those dry May years?

You would fear this could be our summer!

• Advertisement

Interesting Markree is 37.1mm but Sligo is only 10mm

We missed a lot of those showers in Collooney

Thunderstorm last week dumped 18mm there and another day they had 8mm and we had nil

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

According to Cork Airport stats, we have had around 33.5mm of rain this May with the 7th/8th both giving around 14mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Thanks for the table. Out of interest what were June - Aug like in those dry May years?

Jesus I hope not. No day this May had felt like a teal summers day to me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Jesus I hope not. No day this May had felt like a real summers day to me.

Might be something to do with the fact that we are still in spring. Summer doesn`t officially start for another 11 days.

1991 - A cold and wet June (coldest since 1972). July was dull and mainly dry with relatively mild conditions. August was warm and dry, rather dull to the northwest but sunny in the south and southeast. Late August and early September provided the best conditions of the summer with 28c reached in early September 1991.

1975 - A very sunny and warm June after a bitterly cold start (with some unseasonable snowfalls in Britain). July was warm with outbreaks of thunderstorms. August was hot, mostly dry and sunny - warmest August since 1947.

1956 - Atrocious summer with a dull, wet June. July was cool and wet. August was exceptionally wet and cool but also sunny which was a strange combination.

2012 - Very bad summer with one of the most cyclonic Junes on record - wettest June on record for a good few places. July was cool and very wet too generally. August was warmer but remained unsettled.

2010 - A warm, dry and sunny June was followed by a very wet, dull and mild July then a very sunny and dry but cool August.

2008 - Exceptionally wet with numerous rainfall records broken. Severe flooding events in July and especially August. Mild nights balanced the relatively cool days for mean temperature.

2018 - Do I even need to say? :p June was extremely dry to the south and east and sunniest June generally since at least 2009 (1957 for some). July was relatively dry, warm and sunny in the east but duller in the west. August was average - average temperature, rainfall and dull for the country as a whole - south and east were favoured for above average temperature and dry conditions but everywhere was dull.

Other dry/very dry Mays not here include:

1999 - A very warm, dry and sunny July (not as hot as 1983, 1989 or 1995) but cool June and unsettled August.

1989 - A warm June with a hot spell mid-month was followed by one of the best Julys of the 20th century for summer weather - very sunny, dry and hot - then a rather disappointing August with dull and more unsettled conditions.

1987 - A very dull and rather unsettled summer but not exceptionally so after June. Most notable for its lack of sunshine contributing in one of the dullest years on record.

There are many examples for different spots.

Would you like specific stations' stats for any of these summers?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

When was the last August that produced a heat wave? Or at least weather that wasn't overcast for the majority of the month?

lawred2 wrote: »
    When was the last August that produced a heat wave? Or at least weather that wasn't overcast for the majority of the month?

2003 by the definition.

1995 probably considering how many people have said that the August 2003 hot spell or heatwave was often cloudy and humid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

The only good thing about the weather is that it is not very warm. There is still a coolness there. It was like this last year too and we got a great spell in June/July.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    2003 by the definition.

1995 probably considering how many people have said that the August 2003 hot spell or heatwave was often cloudy and humid.

So two hot Augusts in over a quarter of a century..

Won't hold my breath for 2019 so

So two hot Augusts in over a quarter of a century..

Won't hold my breath for 2019 so

August 1997 was hot but also exceptionally wet to the south of the country with record breaking rainfalls.

"Excellent" Augusts like 1899, 1947, 1976 and 1995 are like Gonzo said before as rare as hen's teeth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

August 1997 was hot but also exceptionally wet to the south of the country with record breaking rainfalls.

"Excellent" Augusts like 1899, 1947, 1976 and 1995 are like Gonzo said before as rare as hen's teeth.

Whats your feeling for the summer as a whole sryan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Might be something to do with the fact that we are still in spring. Summer doesn`t officially start for another 11 days.

Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Beautiful evenings so far this week, still cool but good heat in the sun, a nice surprise after last weeks disappointment. Love this time of year when we get clear sunny weather, 9pm and still bright and sunny :)

Ive a feeling August this year will be the 3rd good one (by some strange law of averages solely)

June or July will have to be brutal to make up for this dry May though possibly warm with it.

Actually I've just remembered that 2003 hot spell. Finished college that summer. God it was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

The only good thing about the weather is that it is not very warm. There is still a coolness there. It was like this last year too and we got a great spell in June/July.
    The only good thing ?
    Jesus
    We dont deserve nice weather in this country

Whats your feeling for the summer as a whole sryan?

You'll see this day next week, no spoilers :) .
    Actually I've just remembered that 2003 hot spell. Finished college that summer. God it was great.

That's the first time I've heard positive reception surrounding summer and August 2003 from this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

The only good thing about the weather is that it is not very warm.

Why is it being unseasonably cool a good thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I still have to wear gloves cycling to work in the morning, and it's 9 days from summer! Nearly 40 years old and I still have ridiculous illusions about Irish weather.

• Advertisement

You'll see this day next week, no spoilers :) .

That's the first time I've heard positive reception surrounding summer and August 2003 from this forum.

I remember that summer; i came to Ireland in 2002. yes it was seriously HOT especially for someone fresh from a North sea island... I had tree shelter there though, not like last year...

Advertisement