Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More speed ramps

Options
  • 28-02-2019 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭

Just seen a fingal plan for more speed ramps in dublin 15, crazy.

Speed ramps in housing estates that already have ramps.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Phil.x wrote: »
    Just seen a fingal plan for more speed ramps in dublin 15, crazy.
    Care to share where?
    Speed ramps in housing estates that already have ramps.
    This would seem to indicate an ongoing problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

I’d be quite happy to see another couple of speed ramps in my estate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Went over the most sharpest of speed ramps that was freshly installed at the entrance to allendale today.

Is its fingals sole purpose to cover every road in these f'ing things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I also hate them. But people drive like morons these days especially in estates. Only going to see more of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,150 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Would happily see them added to my own estate. Some of the driving in ours is a disgrace, its only a matter of time before someone is hit by one of these idiots thinking they're in a rally car or suchlike.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭jeffk

Makes me laugh when this happens and the usual people join in with sure it will save lives etc

People still pull out of drives, turns etc like its their road
    Cars still be parked here there everywhere, driveways are for show now it seems
    Then a bonus feature is the path seems to be an extension for peoples driveway for the few who do choose to use them
    Bin trucks, ambulances etc good luck to them getting in and out to do their business

But gotta get them speed ramps ASAP

I have no idea what point you're making, if any.

Plus and negatives to everything. Some studies show speed humps are associated with up to 60% reduction in the odds of injury or death. In the absence of other controls and enforcement it's the bull in the China shop approach.

But if people didn't drive dangerously so often they wouldn't be needed. Until society decides it's socially unacceptable these issues will continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Speed ramps pretty much have to be harsh to be effective. There's places where they are gentle ramps and you can fly over them at 80km/h and it wouldn't perturb you or the car.

Could use with them up at the Hollywoodrath end of R121 on that bendy piece of road they refused to close despite it being in the planning from years back once the estate went in. People bombing along a road with sharp turns where people live and are trying to get out of their driveways. Fun. Nearly got taken head on twice because some idiots decided they couldn't wait for a person to turn into their driveway and sped out into me and oncoming traffic instead in the other lane. A speed ramp or two taking their car apart while they do it would be welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Op.. where is the link to where these new speed bumps are going ?

Op.. where is the link to where these new speed bumps are going ?

https://consult.fingal.ie/en/consultation/proposed-traffic-calming-measures-dublin-15-area-0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I’d love to see the speed cushions in Riverwood replaced with something more effective. The newly installed speed meters are showing up how useless they are.

As someone said above, until people driving like d!cks in residential areas they’re still needed

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    I’d love to see the speed cushions in Riverwood replaced with something more effective. The newly installed speed meters are showing up how useless they are.

As someone said above, until people driving like d!cks in residential areas they’re still needed

Do you drive over them yourself? Asking as id be surprised if car drivers are calling for harsher ramps unless they drive a company car that can transverse ramps with no issue, comfort or risk of damage.

My car cannot, its not new and some ramps make you feel like you're mounting a footpath.

I did think a few months back that if they do install more ramps in and around allendale I'll look at getting a type of suv with a wide track when the time comes to change my car whenever that is.

Eventhough i cycle 5 days to work, i can't stand the fact that fingal thinks it ok to dump lumps of tar because one person contacted their local td or a cheap way out for bad road planning.

Im sure 99% of the allendale residents didn't even know about these planned ramps until they hit them head on.

God love the hartstown residents.

The age of the car is not the factor. Its how stiffly sprung the car is. A lot of modern cars in the last 20 yrs especially audi decided that stiff=sporty=better handling. Which isn't true but it became the fashion to have overly rigid suspension. Same with low profile tyres. Makes for very harsh ride unless it's super smooth road. Some cars even not sporty ones just wear out early on speed ramps. It's just the design of the suspension.

If you have a car with a soft suspension you don't really notice many of these ramps. Or an SUV as you say.

That said it's miserable having to drive over them all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,150 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Nijmegen wrote: »
    Could use with them up at the Hollywoodrath end of R121 on that bendy piece of road they refused to close despite it being in the planning from years back once the estate went in.

Off topic but they didn't refuse to close it, residents in the area successfully argued and lobbied against it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭avalidusername

Have a good look at the plan and you'll see nowhere near all the ramps are in housing estates. From the areas I'd pass by regularly;

1) The Clonsilla Road one is directly outside a primary school.

2) Station Road Ongar is one of the main junctions between the schools in Ongar and newer developments across the Ongar road. Many road users seem to love drifting off the roundabout without signalling, same goes for further up the road at the Allendale roundabout where it's common for drivers to drift off the roundabout into the Hansfield/Barnwell estate with no heed to anybody crossing the road.

3) Allendale Drive is a long stretch of road onto Manorfields drive which drivers refuse to yield at and fly onto the road bypassing the stop sign. There has been quite a few collisions at this T junction over the years, someone had a thread blaming it on the Manorfields speed bumps slowing down speeding traffic and they crashed essentially!

4) Roselawn Road has a narrow stretch of actual road due to cars being parked on the roadside all the time. It might not be a speeding zone, but road calming/slowing measures might help avoid residents getting smashed into as they reverse out of their driveway because someone saw no traffic and a straight bit of road.

The problem is not with the amount of traffic calming measures, it's that traffic calming measures are still needed even outside a primary school because people are too dumb to drive with regard to anyone elses safety, let alone their own.

Have a good look at the plan and you'll see nowhere near all the ramps are in housing estates. From the areas I'd pass by regularly;

2) Station Road Ongar is one of the main junctions between the schools in Ongar and newer developments across the Ongar road. Many road users seem to love drifting off the roundabout without signalling, same goes for further up the road at the Allendale roundabout where it's common for drivers to drift off the roundabout into the Hansfield/Barnwell estate with no heed to anybody crossing the road.

3) Allendale Drive is a long stretch of road onto Manorfields drive which drivers refuse to yield at and fly onto the road bypassing the stop sign. There has been quite a few collisions at this T junction over the years, someone had a thread blaming it on the Manorfields speed bumps slowing down speeding traffic and they crashed essentially!

Station road already has speed ramps and the design of the road was to incorporate sharp bends in an effort to reduce speed.

You're so far wrong with allendale that its not worth replying.

And its reported to an garda and fingal about the multiple pile up on manorfields road due to the installation of those speed ramps.

Im getting a sneaky feeling you work for fingal and have seen my emails.

How do speed ramps causes pile ups?

beauf wrote: »
    How do speed ramps causes pile ups?

Maybe thats a question for insurance companies to answer or fingal planners.

The only way I can think this happens is someone brakes hard for a ramp, person behind too close, too fast and not paying attention.

Lots of very poor driving habits have become normalized now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

At least its not those narrow rubber ones. I hate them. No matter how slow you go over them, it still rocks the car!

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement

At least its not those narrow rubber ones. I hate them. No matter how slow you go over them, it still rocks the car!

Yeah they are horrific. Hit one once full speed in an old land rover, as a passenger. I can still feel it a couple of decades later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Polar101

Maybe it's also a problem that there are quite a few different kinds of ramps around D15 - I know not all roads are the same, but couldn't they build some fairly standard type of ramps around. That way drivers would at least know what to expect, now it's always "wow, that ramp was bad".

The only way I can think this happens is someone brakes hard for a ramp, person behind too close, too fast and not paying attention.

Lots of very poor driving habits have become normalized now.

That crash happened the very next day those ramps were installed, it was bad on fingals behalf for not giving any advanced warnings of intended works, they are quick to install, cheap and aggressive, installed in about an hour or two, Just like allendale and others they just appear.

I wonder what the poor people of hartstown think with a road full of those ramps, its certainly one way to decrease the value of your home no doubt, that road is so bad i stopped using that petrol station.

If a line of cars run into the back of each other it's not the fault of what's in front of the first car.

The ramp is irrelevant. If anything it proves that it is needed. None of us are perfect drivers. We are human and make mistakes.

We all hate ramps.

I thought these were bad for “climate”? Though there’s no tax to be made from that one.

I thought these were bad for “climate”? Though there’s no tax to be made from that one.

Everything's bad for the climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭00sully

Yeah they are horrific. Hit one once full speed in an old land rover, as a passenger. I can still feel it a couple of decades later.

Some great unintentional ramp promotion comments on this thread, but this is the best! Or maybe my delecious ironing meter is broken again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,387 ✭✭✭fletch

If you think the Hartstown ramps are bad, take a drive through Corduff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭jeffk

fletch wrote: »
    If you think the Hartstown ramps are bad, take a drive through Corduff.

I avoid it unless I have to.

Of course you had the usual politician's using their arrival to gain popularity , says it all

You can also see the scuff marks from the bus wheels hitting off them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Hurrache wrote: »
    Off topic but they didn't refuse to close it, residents in the area successfully argued and lobbied against it.

Yeah, not the residents living on the road tho. And there was noises made then about speed ramps going in, none of which have been put in whilst more and more houses are completed and sold on the road. It really isn't a suitable thru road to have houses facing on to the way people drive around it, so the speed ramps are badly needed.

Advertisement