Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colleague pestering boss for a promotion

Options
  • 28-02-2019 3:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭

What would you do in this situation?

Here's the background. I work in a team of two as part of a wider sales team. My colleague is five years younger and has been here about a year. I've been with the sales team two years and effectively hired her into my team.

The two of us are managed by an MD in London, and a director specific to our industry in NY. The MD is also here about a year. For about 6 months now, my colleague has been pestering the MD for a promotion into a "director" role, which would essentially put her above me. I work on the hard sales side of things, she is client engagement.

I have both hard sales, client engagement, and wider industry experience in addition to longer time at the company. But she's very vocal, very confident, very ambitious and can talk the talk. And I know her - she won't stop pestering the manager until she gets her way.

It feels really awkward to me. I can't contemplate being "managed" by her, when I essentially trained her in the role and have far more experience internally and externally. I've had the "future" chat with my boss, who essentially spoke vaguely about the many targets I'd need to hit to be promoted (as he has with many of my colleagues across teams - he's a very corporate type that has been recruited into a tech startup, so there's a culture change afoot atm)

Is this a situation where I really just have to start pestering my boss about wanting to be promoted in the same way? From my own personal goals perspective, I absolutely want to move forward and have paid a lot of dues at this company, have made a lot of money for it, know the product and the company inside out etc. But it feels like not plaguing my boss every five minutes about it could mean I'd miss out and find myself in a really demotivating position with this colleague.

Sorry for the essay. Would appreciate any advice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Good for your colleague. She's ambitious and is going to do well.

You should learn from her.

People rarely get promoted because they are the best at their job, or because of some sort of "fairness". They get promoted because a) they want it more and b) they are friendly with the right people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

It does seem like you need to start building a case and advocating for yourself.

From what I know of sales, you might end up in a situation where they keep their best earner - you - as a salesperson, and promote the person who's vocal and talkative and very ambitious into management.

If you don't want that, then look to your own career prospects.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,149 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

OMM 0000 wrote: »

People rarely get promoted because they are the best at their job, or because of some sort of "fairness". They get promoted because a) they want it more and b) they are friendly with the right people.

People can get promoted through hard work and putting in the effort. Networking had to be done of course to get themselves known but in the main I would call it a small part of why they were promoted.

Of course there are those who talked themselves into promotion but often those people are soon found out by their inability to manage and make informed decisions.

How has she taken to the work OP? Has she demonstrated a keen aptitude for the work?

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Tomw86

What I would advise is the following;

1) Approach your boss about your prospects of promotion and the targets needed to achieve this - get these in writing from him.
    2) Have a follow up one-to-one chat about your colleague and state your points above regarding your readiness over hers for promotion.
    3) If he is a corporate type he should be very strict with the criteria and ensure all colleagues are treated fairly.

4) Keep an eye on the market for Director roles, it is never any harm in applying for other roles if you feel a promotion is not coming you way internally. I have done this and almost doubled my wages in 5 years via 2 moves and 1 contract role.

As a final point, if your colleague is promoted ahead of you, then ensure she has met the targets needed and you have not. If she has not met these targets, then I would certainly bring a case against your employer and hand in your notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Being good at your job and putting in the time is not enough in itself to warrant a promotion. What you really need to do is clearly put your hand up, express your ambition to be promoted, show how you will get there and show what you will do when you get there. Promotion at senior levels comes to people who ask for it, and show that they deserve it.

When you combine a clear ambition and plan, with a track record of delivery, that's when you have a compelling case for promotion

• Advertisement

People can get promoted through hard work and putting in the effort. Networking had to be done of course to get themselves known but in the main I would call it a small part of why they were promoted.

I disagree networking is a small part of why people are promoted. As a manager, you will almost always promote the people you trust. Networking / friendships is a huge part of that.

I agree hard work and putting in the effort is important. These are different to being "the best at your job".

It may be true those who talked themselves into a promotion may get "found out", but what are the consequences? Almost nothing.

If I could go back in time, and I had to choose one tactic to get promoted: hard work or networking, I would 100% choose networking.

It may be true those who talked themselves into a promotion may get "found out", but what are the consequences? Almost nothing.

Can't disagree there....mostly because they have their head too far up their own arse to realise the building's ablaze.

Can't disagree there....mostly because they have their head too far up their own arse to realise the building's ablaze.

That may be true, but from their perspective, does it matter?

It's terrible for the company, terrible for morale... but the incompetent manager gets away with it.

Thinking back, I can't think of any manager I've worked with who was fired for being incompetent. I have seen technical architects (very senior software engineer) getting fired, but I guess that's because their job is more measurable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭ginandtonicsky

How has she taken to the work OP? Has she demonstrated a keen aptitude for the work?

Yes. She's great. Great people person, great at handling clients and talks the talk. She's also very very vocal. Needs her names in lights type of person. It's caused problems before, trying to take credit over deals in my name etc.

She also tends to jump to respond to anything and anyone as far as our industry and team is concerned. She'll say things that aren't true sometimes, prone to exaggeration.

And she networks HARD. No PC way of saying this, but she'd be more on my MD's wavelength than me in that respect. English and cricket playing, ski holiday type. I think he's fonder of her, if you know what I mean, and respects her ambition despite knowing that she can be a bit immature and impulsive. That's what worries me.
    Tomw86 wrote: »
    What I would advise is the following;

1) Approach your boss about your prospects of promotion and the targets needed to achieve this - get these in writing from him.
    2) Have a follow up one-to-one chat about your colleague and state your points above regarding your readiness over hers for promotion.
    3) If he is a corporate type he should be very strict with the criteria and ensure all colleagues are treated fairly.

4) Keep an eye on the market for Director roles, it is never any harm in applying for other roles if you feel a promotion is not coming you way internally. I have done this and almost doubled my wages in 5 years via 2 moves and 1 contract role.

As a final point, if your colleague is promoted ahead of you, then ensure she has met the targets needed and you have not. If she has not met these targets, then I would certainly bring a case against your employer and hand in your notice.

Thanks, this is really good advice. I've already spoken to my MD and expressed interest. In fact it was the first thing I said to him a year ago when he joined the company. There's been a lot of change since then though. The most recent time, he was very vague in his response, which is a red flag to me. He gave me a document of very corporate goals and mentioned how I could be better as a salesperson (I'm relatively new to the role, but as prev mentioned, have a year on my colleague as far as hard sales go)

What he said was to be a director, I'd need to be comfortable leading a team on sales goals and advising people on negotiations etc, which is still a skillset I'm developing. But if my colleague were to be assessed on that basis, she wouldn't even be in the game...Again though, her relentlessness and positioning herself so close to him could trump all of that.

Another thing to mention is that my other boss in NY will be here next week and colleague will be away. MD would be my direct line manager but this guy oversees the team, which is HQd in NY. I have a better relationship with him. Colleague has told me she's been lobbying this with him as well and his response has basically been to deflect to MD.

I'm not sure if this is my time to get him on side, try to put myself forward while he's in town?

It's all such a head melt.

That's what I'm beginning to think. Yes she's great at self-promotion, it's been educational watching how good she is at shouting about things that didn't have much to do with her or assigning herself as an authority on anything to do with our team.

I definitely think that my lack of a similar confidence could ultimately stand in my way here. I'm also worried that suddenly piping up could be a bit obvious and could be seen as me just being insecure or paranoid or something.
    It does seem like you need to start building a case and advocating for yourself.

From what I know of sales, you might end up in a situation where they keep their best earner - you - as a salesperson, and promote the person who's vocal and talkative and very ambitious into management.

If you don't want that, then look to your own career prospects.

Maybe. There's a big culture shift afoot here atm, but historically the people that pulled the numbers in got promoted to directorial roles almost unanimously. My boss is super corporate and a figures guy, and his conversations with me are always deal-related almost exclusively. My colleague handles renewals only, so there's less hard sales and less to sing and dance about as there is with New Business. Which I think is part of why she's itching for this promotion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

I’m over 20 years managing and lost out on a role because I didn’t have global experience.

The role went to someone with zero management experience.

They were mates with the right person. I wasn’t.

I don’t have an issue by the way, that’s how it works..

Networking is critical and right now it sounds like she’s beating you on that front so you need to fight back in a subtle but effective way.

You clearly know how your boss ticks and have read him well. Use that to your advantage.

Rennaws wrote: »
    You clearly know how your boss ticks and have read him well. Use that to your advantage.

Thanks for your frankness. What would you suggest specifically?

Well if he’s corporate and metrics focused you could create a few slides covering all your highlights from last year. Present the numbers and the story that goes with them. You could fire it on to him and follow up at your next meeting. It would be a chance to big yourself up without putting your colleague down.

That’s just one idea.

Basically you know what he wants to see so let him see it and I agree with the others, ask him for specific actions, go complete them and come back and show that they’re done.

If Your colleague is a spoofer she’ll be shown up for that pretty quickly.

If she’s not then she’s genuine competition.

You sound like you have plenty going for you, you just need to sell it the right way..

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Munstermissy

^^^^^^^^

Above advise is very good. Facts and figures do not lie. It’s all about the bottom line at the end of the day.

Just a word of caution, companies rarely tend to promote the workers. They will more than likely go for the spoofers (your colleague). Been there, done that and bought the T shirt����

That might entail utterly betraying who you are. Some people don't want to that and that's fine, but that person needs to accept there will be people that come along that is game for it.

I see it all the time where people have coasted at their job and that's not necessarily a dig because they could be excellent at it. But all of a sudden they might find someone has just become their manager who is 20 years their Junior and it causes major difficulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,063 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Here's the background. I work in a team of two as part of a wider sales team. My colleague is five years younger and has been here about a year. I've been with the sales team two years and effectively hired her into my team.

The two of us are managed by an MD in London, and a director specific to our industry in NY. The MD is also here about a year. For about 6 months now, my colleague has been pestering the MD for a promotion into a "director" role, which would essentially put her above me. I work on the hard sales side of things, she is client engagement.

I have both hard sales, client engagement, and wider industry experience in addition to longer time at the company. But she's very vocal, very confident, very ambitious and can talk the talk. And I know her - she won't stop pestering the manager until she gets her way.

It feels really awkward to me. I can't contemplate being "managed" by her, when I essentially trained her in the role and have far more experience internally and externally. I've had the "future" chat with my boss, who essentially spoke vaguely about the many targets I'd need to hit to be promoted (as he has with many of my colleagues across teams - he's a very corporate type that has been recruited into a tech startup, so there's a culture change afoot atm)

Is this a situation where I really just have to start pestering my boss about wanting to be promoted in the same way? From my own personal goals perspective, I absolutely want to move forward and have paid a lot of dues at this company, have made a lot of money for it, know the product and the company inside out etc. But it feels like not plaguing my boss every five minutes about it could mean I'd miss out and find myself in a really demotivating position with this colleague.

Is the new girl hot OP?
    Genuine question
    She might just be used to getting things easy or handed to her on a plate.
    Or she might use it to her advantage to leap-frog you

Either way, if she has alternative tools at her disposal and uses them, who could blame her. It's up to you how you would take having her leap-frog over you. Best case scenario would probably be for you to keep your head down at that stage and start looking at better options.

Is the new girl hot OP?
    Genuine question
    She might just be used to getting things easy or handed to her on a plate.
    Or she might use it to her advantage to leap-frog you

Either way, if she has alternative tools at her disposal and uses them, who could blame her. It's up to you how you would take having her leap-frog over you. Best case scenario would probably be for you to keep your head down at that stage and start looking at better options.

Well no, I won't be keeping my head down tbh. I've spent the evening drawing up a POA and I'm going to set up a meeting with HR in the morning. Then I'll be raising it with my director when he's over from NY next week. There's a general problem with a lack of promotions in our office since MD arrived (in contrast to what happens in our HQ in NY) and I'm not happy with the completely vague lack of encouragement given to me by my MD when I raised my career progression three weeks ago. There has to be some fair procedure here.

I'm the longest standing Sales person in the office, he had me on stage in front of everyone at our Sales kick-off last month shouting about how I closed our two biggest deals of the year ffs. I'll be on-stage representing the company in front of a big audience at a major conference next week. It's too much work for no recognition in return. I've had three managers in the last year and if they're going to promote a junior colleague over me because I don't shout loud enough well then that's going to be a problem.

No she's not hotter than me. The other way round tbh. She is very charismatic though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,379 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

From my own personal goals perspective, I absolutely want to move forward and have paid a lot of dues at this company, have made a lot of money for it, know the product and the company inside out etc. But it feels like not plaguing my boss every five minutes about it could mean I'd miss out and find myself in a really demotivating position with this colleague.

Avoid turning it into a Me Vs Her situation. That could come across as immature or could even be misinterpreted as jealousy. Managers can jump to the wrong conclusions very easily.

Focus on your own positive record and attributes when you next discuss it with your manager. You've listed several good ones above.

Position it in such a way that you're ready for the next step, that you're ambitious and that you want to have a successful future at this company - and that you expect your manager to work with you to achieve those goals.
    Not in vague terms, but by providing you with tangible milestones and targets to achieve it.

Best of luck.

Well no, I won't be keeping my head down tbh. I've spent the evening drawing up a POA and I'm going to set up a meeting with HR in the morning. Then I'll be raising it with my director when he's over from NY next week. There's a general problem with a lack of promotions in our office since MD arrived (in contrast to what happens in our HQ in NY) and I'm not happy with the completely vague lack of encouragement given to me by my MD when I raised my career progression three weeks ago. There has to be some fair procedure here.

I’m not sure the heavy handed approach will do you any favours to be honest. Doing what you suggest above is more likely to hinder your promotion prospects I would have thought.

Ask yourself, do you want to be right or do you want be promoted ?

If your sales are as good as you say, let the numbers talk and keep bringing it up. Create a draft development plan and propose actions to help you develop the competencies they’ve called out. Bring it to your manager for his input and to discuss. Then sign off on it and go deliver it. That way you back them into a corner.

Getting mad won’t get you anywhere. Going above your boss will just aggravate him.

You’re already doing the work and delivering so just play the game the way your colleague is.

I’m not sure the heavy handed approach will do you any favours to be honest. Doing what you suggest above is more likely to hinder your promotion prospects I would have thought.

Ask yourself, do you want to be right or do you want be promoted ?

If your sales are as good as you say, let the numbers talk and keep bringing it up. Create a draft development plan and propose actions to help you develop the competencies they’ve called out. Bring it to your manager for his input and to discuss. Then sign off on it and go deliver it. That way you back them into a corner.

Getting mad won’t get you anywhere. Going above your boss will just aggravate him.

You’re already doing the work and delivering so just play the game the way your colleague is.

Thanks Rennaws. I'll be drafting a development plan anyway. My boss threw that into my FY19 goals in the most vague of terms. He referred to it when I asked him about career progression and then asked why wouldn't I want to be an AE for the next five years, I've a lot to learn yet about Sales etc. He sees a director as being the first POC for advice on negotiations, pipeline forecasts etc for a team (my colleague has none of this exp.).

This is all fair and well, but out of sync with how these promotions happen across the wider company. I could be here the next five years before I had the adequate kind of sales experience he's looking for (we're only a 4 yo company and I'm the longest standing salesperson here)

My colleague has approached HR already, multiple times I believe. As she has my director and she's been keeping the MD in close quarters. I don't want to come across like sour grapes, that's obviously a concern and I'll avoid any Me V Her discussion, but a bigger one is missing out on advancing my career because I haven't made enough noise.

• Advertisement

It’s a delicate balance alright..

And sometimes it can be better to cut your losses then to try waiting out a bad boss.

I’ve never seen that work for anyone.

I’m not suggesting you should cut your losses btw.

But a boss can make or break a job and you need to have them speaking up for you if you’re to have any chance of a promotion.

Best of luck with it..

I'm the longest standing Sales person in the office, he had me on stage in front of everyone at our Sales kick-off last month shouting about how I closed our two biggest deals of the year ffs. I'll be on-stage representing the company in front of a big audience at a major conference next week. It's too much work for no recognition in return. I've had three managers in the last year and if they're going to promote a junior colleague over me because I don't shout loud enough well then that's going to be a problem.

No she's not hotter than me. The other way round tbh. She is very charismatic though.

Use these major points in your presentation - I would certainly recommend squaring off some time with the Director over from NY and presenting your case.

If your MD has gone vague on you, then hopefully the Director can advise you on what needs to be done, especially if the culture over there is to promote from within.

I hope it all goes well for you and you put your own achievements forward rather than stating how much better you are than colleague X.

You seem determined, career focused and ambitious - it's just you are not shouting it from the rooftops and hassling people like she is. That can be annoying and a hassle for Management too don't forget. Leave her at it and focus on what you need to do, while self-promoting in the right way.

If she gets promoted ahead of you, whether it be in 3 months or 3 years, then consider your options - I have seen some companies panic when someone overlooked for a promotion looks to move on and it will end up working out beneficially for you regardless.;)

Thanks Tom. I'm feeling a bit more optimistic in general about this today. Came in like a woman on a mission, scheduled a meeting with HR and director next week.

Colleague dipped out of a meeting for a "Strategic meeting" with the ultimate boss, Chief Commercial Officer in NY who rules the roost to all extent and purposes. Reading between the lines, he went HARD on her and probably nailed her to the cross on the New Business front (she hasn't told me any of this but from her comms with MD ever since). For context, my company is a "unicorn" in investment terms and will probably be going IPO in the next four years and he's been hired in the last month to lead the charge. A bit of charm and networking won't sway with him.

The main thing being, she's got the MD where she needs him to champion her so that's a big obstacle I'm facing. I'll do some big prep for these meetings next week, prepare a development plan and see where i land. Had a long chat with my mother last night, who's getting on but was a big career woman in her time and if things don't go in my favour in the next six months, I'm going to get the hell out of here because I deserve advancement at this point and am not willing to wait out a bad boss, as another poster so aptly pointed out.

But for now I'm taking action and feeling motivated, so we shall see.

Well done and best of luck!

Like I said, keep on good terms with all in there and when you go to leave you may be surprised by their reaction!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,274 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Dumb priest never gets a parish

Either way, what she does with her career is none of your business.

If you don't speak up for yourself no one else will.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,063 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Thanks Tom. I'm feeling a bit more optimistic in general about this today. Came in like a woman on a mission, scheduled a meeting with HR and director next week.

Colleague dipped out of a meeting for a "Strategic meeting" with the ultimate boss, Chief Commercial Officer in NY who rules the roost to all extent and purposes. Reading between the lines, he went HARD on her and probably nailed her to the cross on the New Business front (she hasn't told me any of this but from her comms with MD ever since). For context, my company is a "unicorn" in investment terms and will probably be going IPO in the next four years and he's been hired in the last month to lead the charge. A bit of charm and networking won't sway with him.

The main thing being, she's got the MD where she needs him to champion her so that's a big obstacle I'm facing. I'll do some big prep for these meetings next week, prepare a development plan and see where i land. Had a long chat with my mother last night, who's getting on but was a big career woman in her time and if things don't go in my favour in the next six months, I'm going to get the hell out of here because I deserve advancement at this point and am not willing to wait out a bad boss, as another poster so aptly pointed out.

But for now I'm taking action and feeling motivated, so we shall see.

The problem here is not your colleague. It's that you haven't made those pushes before and you think you should have. She is helping you by spurring you into action.

Thought I'd update.

Met with HR, my NY boss and my MD last week. Overall it was positive, though nothing resembling the clarity or encouragement I would hope for.

HR gave all the HR lines about seeking clarity from my boss, "manage your manager", be proactive about setting meetings and following up and hold him accountable to what he says, make sure he works with you on the development plan because that's not something you should have to come up with of your own accord.

NY boss basically said, you've been here longer and I'd be of the view that you should be first in line based on your performance and experience. Said he would talk to MD on my behalf. Which he did, and came back with a sort of discouraging, "he's really taking things in a very corporate direction, I'm not sure of what to expect from him, especially seeing as no-one in the London office has been promoted by him so far". He said I needed to talk to him myself.

Which I did, on Friday. He was quite complimentary about me, told me that I and another director in the office were the two top performing sales people, and said I'd have to go through a process starting with self-assessment and then liaising with both him and NY boss to develop the skills I may be lacking to move forward. He threw out the line about how he still thinks I'm "more of a journalist than a salesperson" (that's my background and I sell to newsrooms) - which is interesting seeing as for someone who's not a salesperson in his eyes, I'm pulling the numbers in above everyone else.

And then he said the next step was this self-assessment thing and a meeting at the end of March. I asked for a timeline and he vaguely alluded to the fact that we're talking about a year or so. But that "things are constantly changing around here" blah blah.

Meanwhile, colleague has been doing her thing, getting competitive about who represents the company on stage at upcoming conferences (I did a lot of this last week) and currently she's trying to butter up MD's boss (the ultimate boss) in NY, who'll be here next week. Sounds like they'll be having a dinner together of some sorts?! MD also mentioned today that she could use up some of HIS professional development funds for some course she's looking into - which kind of says it all about the situation I'm in atm. He prefers her and she knows how to play this game, the self-promotion is just non-stop.

So anyway. I guess all I can do is focus on my own path and see what, if anything emerges. And keep my eye out for other opportunities as tbh the office politics of this is making an already stressful job a lot more difficult to tolerate.

Thanks for all who advised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The way this works is the new person gets promoted then because they lack experience, or don't get results, you get to prop them up. This make them look good, you get a road block across your path in this company. If you don't help them you also look bad and a road block.

If you are lucky, someone will look at your metrics and see that you are best suited. But I'm not getting the impression they are doing that. So you need to focus them on your results. If they aren't looking at performance metrics thats a worry.

If they are going IPO you might wait for that as long as its actually happening, and see if you get share options etc. Managers will likely get more than non managers.

Have found the advice on this thread really helpful, so wanted to update.

i had another meeting with my boss this week, he had sent me some "personal development" documents that I filled in and wanted to discuss. Again with the vagueness, told me to go away and view some job descriptions of what makes a good sales manager, talk to some of my manager contacts etc, then we'll come up with a plan to address some of them. He also alluded to the fact that he didn't think my boss in NY was up to scratch and not a good person to try to replicate. He also alluded to the fact that my colleague is also looking for a promotion, bit of conflict there, etc.

Meanwhile, I counted five touchpoints that my boss had with my colleague this week alone. She's roped him into one of her big renewals and they spend time every day discussing that, going to meetings together, wine after, blah blah. The latest was today when I saw him talk to HR, and immediately her right after, I walked in on a conversation where they immediately changed the subject, so I can only imagine what that was about. It really feels as if he's enjoying being a "mentor" of sorts to her, and that favouritism is going to work against me ultimately.

I feel like my next update will be: she's been promoted. What's the best response in the face of that? I feel like I'm at a point where this place is so toxic, that I would be tempted to immediately hand in my notice, I mean what's the point at this stage. I don't really want to stick around to look like an a***hole who performs and performs and performs and is the longest serving sales member here and then get leapfrogged by someone who essentially should be my junior.

Would love to hear your thoughts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Do you have a backup like do some job interviews and see how you get on.

Advertisement