Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World League thread

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

bilston wrote: »
    There seem to be 5 billion reasons why this will happen.

"Up to" 5 billion, over 12 years, spread across over a lot of teams. We don't know how it will be distributed but I doubt there's a huge financial incentive for the 6N teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

"Up to" 5 billion, over 12 years, spread across over a lot of teams. We don't know how it will be distributed but I doubt there's a huge financial incentive for the 6N teams.

The financial incentive is for the suits in charge, everything else is secondary.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,587 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Unsurprisingly the Irish and Scots supposedly don't want relegation - lets reward mediocrity and keep game elitist, or take a chance and grow the game, and just ensure you are not bad eneogh to get what would be a deserved relegation.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/47639897

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

thebaz wrote: »
    Unsurprisingly the Irish and Scots supposedly don't want relegation - lets reward mediocrity and keep game elitist, or take a chance and grow the game, and just ensure you are not bad eneogh to get what would be a deserved relegation.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/47639897

It would be stupid of the 6 Nations unions to accept relegation. They would have everything to lose.

I don't see how the game can grow either if teams are being relegated and promoted each year. In the 6 Nations you could have Italy and Georgia in it every 2nd year, going up and down.

How could they make any financial plans? If France got relegated you are losing a big market straight off.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,587 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

It would be stupid of the 6 Nations unions to accept relegation. They would have everything to lose.

Competive sport is about winning and losing - if you lose 5 matches ther should be consequences , otherwise you just are rewarding mediocrity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

thebaz wrote: »
    Competive sport is about winning and losing - if you lose 5 matches ther should be consequences , otherwise you just are rewarding mediocrity
    When the 6 nations is so vital to the running of the sport through the money it makes then relegation cant happen.
    Ireland and the other 6 nations need to play the Georgias/Romanias far more and these sides need to play 6 nations sides at least two games a year

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Looks like relegation/promotion is out the window as RFU show their hand. Complete sense really. The SH unions are asking the NH ones to dangle on a financial cliff edge.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/mar/26/rfu-rugby-union-oppose-nations-championship-catastrophic-relegation-fears

• Subscribers Posts: 41,078 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

That's an excellent interview in the latest edition of the will greenwood podcast with Steve Martin about the whole world league, six nations, cvc, sponsorship etc...

Well worth a listen for anyone interested in the goings on of the commercial side of rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Loved him in Planes, Trains, and Automobiles.

I know there's so many reasons against it happening.... but I would like to see an annual global tournament. It'll be good craic.

• Advertisement
Advertisement