Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First insurance

Options
  • 26-02-2019 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Hi
    I got my full A learner permit and I’ve also completed my theory test, I’m in my late 40’s and having difficulty getting insured on a 600cc, can anyone recommend a insurance company that will insure me on a hornet 600 or bandit 600 with no experience or no claims bonus. I really don’t want to get a smaller bike.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,675 ✭✭✭✭listermint

limos wrote: »
    Hi
    I got my full A learner permit and I’ve also completed my theory test, I’m in my late 40’s and having difficulty getting insured on a 600cc, can anyone recommend a insurance company that will insure me on a hornet 600 or bandit 600 with no experience or no claims bonus. I really don’t want to get a smaller bike.

Thanks

Have you sat your ibt yet ? And done a skills assessment for it .if not then you won't get insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭limos

listermint wrote: »
    Have you sat your ibt yet ? And done a skills assessment for it .if not then you won't get insurance.

Yes I have completed my IBT for full access

• Registered Users Posts: 33,675 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Yes I have completed my IBT for full access

Call liberty insurance. They are generally good with first timers.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭limos

listermint wrote: »
    Call liberty insurance. They are generally good with first timers.

Okey thanks I’ll give them a bell tomorrow ðŸ‘

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

Principal are also good for first timers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭dbas

Mine was 560 with principal in first year with provisional on a fazer 600 with leathers, helmet and up to 18000 towards injury.
    Still cheapest in second year with full licence at 505

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

Im 30 with sv650, did ibt in july and got insurance with carole nash €490 full comp

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Colm17RvB

full A learner permit
    Wut?:confused::rolleyes:

Ring Principal or Liberty :D

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Malolan

Hi

Thanks

Hi,

I was with Liberty for a year as a learner, I'm 44yo and insured my hornet 600 with them at 400e (approx).
    Simply go their page and run the motorcycle quote https://quotes.libertyinsurance.ie/IFI/publicviewclient.do?productcode=QMB&corpunit=GEI

you will see what price you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

+1 for principal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

I found Carole Nash were the best for insuring mature first time riders. That might have changed since though. I'm with principal now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I honestly can't fault Principal Insurance, very good quotes from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭MSVforever

I'm 41 years old. Was with Principle first and paid €380 tptf on a learner permit for a Bandit 600. After I sat my test they increased the premium to €430.
    Traded the Bandit in for the V-strom 650 and they raised the premium to €480.

Last renewal time I changed over to Carol Nash. Paying €350 for tptf since then. My insurance is up for renewal at the end of March. Let's see what's happening then.

Don't trust any of them. They seem to plug figures out of their backside. You gotta play them at their game otherwise you will get shafted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

Got my first bike 2 years ago. Principle quote
    was way better than CN.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Called Principle insurance and they were less than helpful for me.

What did they quote you? On what type of bike etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭honda boi

Well I told them I hadn't bought I bike and was ringing to see what kinda numbers I could get on either a 125cc or 250cc of various manufactures. They told me they wouldn't quote me on a few of them and to call back with exact bike details. When I asked for if they have any recommendations they guy said perhaps a GN-125. To which I asked well can I get a quote on that but no I'd have to callback with year, mileage, modifications, reg number for a GN-125 :confused:

I replied that any bike would be completely standard and can they give me a rough idea on a few different bikes. So I have to ring back with a list of bikes and "hope" they cover them. Not going to be wasting my time doing that.

Gotten that meself before when ringing for quotes.
    No idea what difference a reg makes to the actual quote when you have the details of what bike it is

Well I told them I hadn't bought I bike and was ringing to see what kinda numbers I could get on either a 125cc or 250cc of various manufactures. They told me they wouldn't quote me on a few of them and to call back with exact bike details. When I asked for if they have any recommendations they guy said perhaps a GN-125. To which I asked well can I get a quote on that but no I'd have to callback with year, mileage, modifications, reg number for a GN-125 :confused:

I replied that any bike would be completely standard and can they give me a rough idea on a few different bikes. So I have to ring back with a list of bikes and "hope" they cover them. Not going to be wasting my time doing that.

I did have the same issues myself, i had to go away and get the registrations of the bikes in question, it was very annoying to say the least.

Would the likes of a GN125 be enough for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

^^^^ this, yesterday.

My soon-to-be-16yr old is 'shopping' for a bike, and we looked at some on Saturday.

Yesterday I tried to get quotes online. Inputting make/model wasn't enough - I needed a reg no (thanks DoneDeal :) ), just to get a number. Most unhelpful and customer unfriendly process I thought: we're not going to buy a bike without knowing how much to insure it, so you'd have thought make/model was more than enough. It's way too long-winded.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

Thats very strange about Principal I've often rang up wit no reg etc and they gave me quotes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Yup about as much help as a chocolate teapot they were. All I want is a little 125cc or 250cc but apparently that's asking too much. I don't want to spend big on my first bike as I will probably wreck it.

Maybe they know this too ;)

Seriously, why would you buy a bike at all if you know you will probably wreck it? It's not a toy you are talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

I wonder if the registration requirement has anything to do with Principle using AXA as the Insurer now. Principle could be using software for quotations that needs to have a valid registration entered or it could be a case of "computer says no".

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

I wonder if the registration requirement has anything to do with Principle using AXA as the Insurer now. Principle could be using software for quotations that needs to have a valid registration entered or it could be a case of "computer says no".

I doubt it I got a quote off them on Friday with no reg

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Bigserious1

Got a quote off principle yesterday with no reg either. No issues at all and person was very pleasant on the phone.

1st policy with no experience. 34 yrs old. 900cc Triumph Thruxton.

Quote was 695 which isn't too bad I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭honda boi

Got a quote off principle yesterday with no reg either. No issues at all and person was very pleasant on the phone.

1st policy with no experience. 34 yrs old. 900cc Triumph Thruxton.

Quote was 695 which isn't too bad I thought.

That on a learner permit?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Bigserious1

honda boi wrote: »
    That on a learner permit?

Yes learner. I said I had the license 4 months and hadn't sat my ibt yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭horse7

AXA will only quote me if I do IBT lessons, can't understand why cause I have a full license.

horse7 wrote: »
    AXA will only quote me if I do IBT lessons, can't understand why cause I have a full license.

You have a full category A and they want you to do IBT? Are you sure it’s not a rider assessment?

I'll double-check with them but why if you're got a full license would you need either?

Your probably right re:Do I have to attend a Rider Skills Assessment Programme in order to get motorbike insurance? LESS

You may have to complete a Skills Assessment and obtain a grading if you intend to insure certain motorcycles.

AXA provide a Motorbike Skills Assessment Programme administered by Approved Driving Instructors. For further information please see the Motorcycle insurance documents.,.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Just ring Carole Nash and get a quote for a CBF600 off them. You won't need a rider assessment.

Advertisement