Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Longines vs Sinn

Options
  • 25-02-2019 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭

Hey folks, can anyone help me make a decision. Looking to pick up my first half decent watch. I keep coming back to 'tool/pilot' watches. Budget about 1k.

I've narrowed it down to the Longines Conquest 39mm or Sinn 556. Anyone any opinions?

Longines or Sinn? 25 votes

Longines
    4%
    Mr Burny 1 vote
    Sinn
    96%
    unkelmad mBluefoamWibbsMackPaddyDeep ThoughtSpannerMonkeyscott1974thomasmFrankie5Angelschancer007dinorebelscwazrhfat blokeshakedownporker36Dr Turk TurkeltonWalt GraceheroicsSlowBlowin 24 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

I tried on the Quartz Longines Hydroconquest 39mm and I didn't like it. I've a few dive watches and it just didn't feel right on the wrist. Not too helpful I know, just my personal experience.

Never tried on the Sinn if this helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 64,837 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Sinn
    I had the Conquest GMT 41mm, was a beautiful watch. Had to sell it on to buy another watch I wanted.

999e5088df3733a41bb5d785a2d23b4a.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Sinn
    Now I'm a dyed in the wool Longines fan(atic), but between those two I'd probably go for the Sinn myself. To my eye it looks cleaner and more aesthetically pleasing and looks like an aircraft dial too.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Sinn
    There's definitely more polish to the Longines. Sinn are a lovely watch but more stark, more tool like.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭cmyk

Wibbs wrote: »
    There's definitely more polish to the Longines. Sinn are a lovely watch but more stark, more tool like.

I think that's a plus for the Sinn in my book. I guess half the problem here is there's nowhere to see the Sinn in the flesh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭thomasm

Sinn
    Have had my eye a conquest for a while and had the chance to try it on at weekend. It’s lovely but I also tried the VHP and it’s a much nicer watch in my opinion. Real quality look and feel about it.

https://www.fields.ie/longines-conquest-vhp-blue-dial-steel-bracelet-men-s-watch.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAwc7jBRD8ARIsAKSUBHKxAoq29rFSkOjpPAz2K6Tr4uLt9OwocKCaTv0i9eatJUMGGVFGB2IaAo4sEALw_wcB

Sinn
    I've been impressed by the VHP I have to say. Interesting and welcome angle from Longines to enter a quartz in the mid level "luxury" bracket. Though women's watches all the way to the top of a brand like Patek never dropped them(though their movements are basic level crap tarted up with golden plates).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

The Longines gets my vote. Just lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

The 556 with black mother of pearl dial is lovely. It might go on to my watch plans for the year...

556_I_Mother-of-pearl_S.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Sinn
    unkel wrote: »
    I had the Conquest GMT 41mm, was a beautiful watch. Had to sell it on to buy another watch I wanted.
    ]

Aw man, I love that!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

I think Sparrow car had a Sinn 556. I'm sure he will be along shortly to offer his opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Sinn
    The Longines is a beaut. Very striking.

Sinn
    They do depreciate a bit at the start though. RRP is EUR1600 iirc, got mine for EUR700 in as new condition. And for that sort of money it is very hard to beat. It looks and feels like a watch worth well over a grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,757 ✭✭✭893bet

unkel wrote: »
    They do depreciate a bit at the start though. RRP is EUR1600 iirc, got mine for EUR700 in as new condition. And for that sort of money it is very hard to beat. It looks and feels like a watch worth well over a grand.

It’s a lovely looking watch. Looks like the 41 would wear big due to the lack of a bezel?

I would pick the Sinn and go second hand.

Sinn
    Wears pretty big alright. Watch has a lot of presence.

I'd definitely be looking at the 39mm, it's half the reason I've settled on both of them. I've got an skx013 and though it's a touch small, I reckon with slightly larger face/no bezel the size would be about perfect for me.

I'm no Rolex fan, but I do like the explorer, hence the conquest, but perhaps it's trying too hard to be an explorer?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I think Sinn have the case hardened, so might be a better choice if you want a tool watch.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,459 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

That Sinn is gorgeous! I'd be picking that one myself.

The Longines is nice but I find the contrast between the the stark centre and the busy rim a bit much.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭emo72

And swinging in behind the Sinn too. I'd have a Sinn over any longines.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Sinn
    OmegaGene wrote: »
    This thread needs a poll

Indeed. Easiest way by far to find out how many opinions are wrong.

(Longines all the way)

Edit - actually Unkel, is that pic you posted of the black dial or the blue dial? It's hard to tell which.

• Advertisement

Sinn
    OmegaGene wrote: »
    This thread needs a poll
    Alright you fcukin slave drivers. :D Poll added.

Sinn
    fat bloke wrote: »
    Edit - actually Unkel, is that pic you posted of the black dial or the blue dial? It's hard to tell which.

Very much blue. I like my blue watches :D

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭2shea

My vote goes to Sinn.

Longines make some made some beautiful watches over they years but I feel the newer ones are not as good.

I tried on a few Sinn watches when I was in Japan.
    They seem to be very popular over there, which is a good sign in it's self.

But they feel very very well made and look great.

Longines use ETA movements finished off by themselves don't they? And Sinn use top grade ETA finished to their spec in some of their pieces, so same thing as regards movements.

2shea wrote: »
    My vote goes to Sinn.
    Longines use ETA movements finished off by themselves don't they? And Sinn use top grade ETA finished to their spec in some of their pieces, so same thing as regards movements.

I think (in my very limited knowledge) the Sinn may beat the conquest on quality. That's good to know that you've seen them too.

A boardsie very kindly met me a couple of years back to show me his sinn 856utc and it was lovely in the flesh so leaning Sinn at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭shakedown

Sinn
    I voted Longines but I thought it was the GMT photo in this thread. But on googling the two, I change to Sinn.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

The correct answer of course would be to get both.

Never updated this thread, a few unexpected bills put a watch purchase on the back burner for a couple of months, I did pick up a beater to get me over the hump though...

gshock.jpg

I'm still leaning towards the Sinn though.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Gavin1

Sinn all the way.

Had 4, and still have 2. Every time I sold one instantly regretted it. A bit more tool and industrial like for most of their range but great watches.

I have used their customer service for service history checks, warranty repairs and general maintenance and all very straightforward and human. The service piece gets forgotten about but try ringing some of the bigger companies and then you will know what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

The sinn is the better watch IMO, mostly regarding its styling. even for a tool watch its more refined with a better fit and finish.

I do think its become overpriced however, with bracelet & shipping its 1100 euros. i dont think theres much value in it at that price, considering it was about 300 quid cheaper 3-4 years ago.

If you could get a good second hand 556i for 800, thats where you see some value.

Value in automatic watches is of course very subjective, so this is mostly my own opinion.
    blue5000 wrote: »
    I think Sinn have the case hardened, so might be a better choice if you want a tool watch.

the 556 isnt hardened, the tegemented cases dont start until the next model up, the 856, but the 856 is a bigger 40mm case & the 38mm case of the 556 is a major part of its appeal.

• Advertisement

fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    If you could get a good second hand 556i for 800, thats where you see some value.

I've seen people on other forums mention that before, but I rarely see any second hand versions popup for less than 1000, not sure why you wouldn't just buy new at that sort of price.

Advertisement