Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Trip St Andrews Sun 3rd March to Thurs 7th

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

As requested, some pics of the tour:

To start:

34485sy.jpg

Once we finally arrived

240ztyw.jpg

jszwoj.jpg

2vuhvo0.jpg

2ljrn83.jpg

2nqel9g.jpg

The New

28au9zn.jpg

2enqkc9.jpg

2aij1mo.jpg

iy1jtk.jpg

9sfqtw.jpg

2nc14z9.jpg

2j632wn.jpg

13yihe0.jpg

34xfjuo.jpg

2hhodq0.jpg

The Jubilee

1z1qjix.jpg

igyxoz.jpg

166m8t5.jpg

308k2mu.jpg

2u4o386.jpg

hthhz7.jpg

2edcvwh.jpg

*edit, added 2 extra photos

The Old

wsnr6t.jpg

33wbfva.jpg

20acsa8.jpg

2jgo0k.jpg

2rzyyoj.jpg

20arj3m.jpg

14cbm8p.jpg

30ic2dw.jpg

eb1vh3.jpg

2ez1q43.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Some super pics chaps :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,758 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Some super pics chaps :cool:
    Lol

Told you , you should go.

Scotland a grand spot in winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

Was it by choice that you played off the yellow tees or could you have played off of the whites?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Was it by choice that you played off the yellow tees or could you have played off of the whites?

Played off whites in new and jubilee course but had to use yellows on the old course

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

Played off whites in new and jubilee course but had to use yellows on the old course

As in you had no choice in the matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

As in you had no choice in the matter?

Not sure. Paulos did all the checking in so he might know better.
    I think we could have played whites. Caddies seemed cool and I don't think they would have had an issue.
    To be honest the day was so poxy it made sense to play off yellows. Some of them were same as whites on the day anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭paulos53

The starter preferred us to play off the Yellows with the poor weather. If we had pushed for Whites on a good day then I doubt that they would have objected.

To be honest it looked like the winter course was the winter course.

Forward.

Not crazy forward but forward.

We were lucky in that they let us play of white on 17 .

It is not a course that the tees make that much difference.

The only real test is to avoid fairway bunkers and handle greens.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Can I ask why caddies on what is a pretty flat course?

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »

A few people who went before said , if you are ever going to get a caddy, get one at St. Andrews. They are very experienced, know the lines and the breaks on greens.

It is more the experience and the chat. They have great insights and stories about the course and the ins and outs of the place.

To be honest , the course is fairly straight forward. The caddy is not necessary at all. We seemed to be lucky in our group with our 4 , but got a sense a few of the other guys didn't get the best ones ever. A funny stat is the guys without caddies scored better. Interesting.

It adds to the experience I guess , it helped in the rain and was a bit of a laugh.

The whole experience is different - The course is only maybe 7/10, but the location , the history, the feeling of the place - just give it that 10/10 experience.

Like there are 20 + better links courses in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

you have to carry, no buggies/carts allowed

i'm f0cked if im gonna lug a heavy bag around, must let you carry my bag at one of the outings, must be my clubs or something, but they are mad heavy compared to others, ive nothing else in a lightweight bag.

it is amazing though how blind the course is for one which is so flat. lots of gorse to tee over etc. they give you lines you never would know existed. and as fix says in the rain, i found them a lifesaver, i think i actually would have cried if i had to carry

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭benny79

I think I was the one most excited about getting a Caddy as I was really looking forward to it! but I have to say it was a weird experience and I found it a bit awkward at times. Didnt help he was bloody useless especially compared to the others! and got the impression he was just going through the motions which didn't help, when I go again :D I dont think I would get one unless I was guaranteed a good one.

But I did have a good laugh about it after in the pub.. St Andrews is a magical place yes there's better links courses here as Fix said but none of them have the oura or magic of the Old Course its unreal!

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭kennethrhcp

benny79 wrote: »
    I think I was the one most excited about getting a Caddy as I was really looking forward to it! but I have to say it was a weird experience and I found it a bit awkward at times. Didnt help he was bloody useless especially compared to the others! and got the impression he was just going through the motions which didn't help, when I go again :D I dont think I would get one unless I was guaranteed a good one.

But I did have a good laugh about it after in the pub.. St Andrews is a magical place yes there's better links courses here as Fix said but none of them have the oura or magic of the Old Course its unreal!

similar happened to us in Adare, 4 caddies... I got a great sound fella, chatted tour way around & really enjoyed it. my 2 friends go 2 low handicap young lads who were sound but not as talkative & my poor boss (new to the game) got a terrible fella who kept telling him he was doing things wrong & as he was about to putt (best part of his game) he was realigning him & then he'd miss the putt & his own line woulda been way better... that caddy picked the lightest bag, that's how my boss got him.

looking forward to hearing your stories Sat!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Seve OB wrote: »
    you have to carry, no buggies/carts allowed

No way I would carry even a light shoulder bag, back would be in bits by the 2nd or 3rd hole.

Is that a "Winter" rule or year long?

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭paulos53

No way I would carry even a light shoulder bag, back would be in bits by the 2nd or 3rd hole.

Is that a "Winter" rule or year long?

It is just before 12 each day. Trolleys are allowed in the afternoon

Advertisement