Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning to fly and getting my PPL

Options
  • 21-02-2019 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Hey Everyone,

I'm interested in getting into flying and achieving my PPL.

I was researching around Ireland and doing it in the US. Any pilots here have recommendations on flight schools in Ireland.

I would love to own a plane but that won't be for a good few years. :)

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 icefrog

Yea my cousin is also doing it but i dont have much information about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

IMO Ireland is far too expensive.

Look at schools in Texas. You can work on ground school and the basics in Ireland and complete the flying portion in America. A two week holiday should be more than enough to get your basic VFR PPL

Had my PPL for over twenty years and its one of the best investments ive ever made

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭AppleKidd

Interesting, never thought you could build your hours outside of Ireland if you are sitting the EASA PPL.

I was looking at a local flying club. quoted around 8k. That sounds cheap I thought.

Dont look at just the price, you need to look at how many hours that includes.

They bait you with a cheap price but it might not include all the hours you need to complete your PPL, or that might only be for flight time and instructor time would be in addition cost to the 8K

read the fine print

I see but they were very clear in the email what that included at it included the required hours plus the books and the exams etc. I take it the average pilot takes longer than the 45 hrs to pass the exams as such.

Is ground school a separate cost?

I also take it an hr lesson is never an hr flying it could be 30-45 minutes. If that's the case does that mean only your flight time does into the log book or the whole hr?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

Hi AppleKid, can you pm what flying club quoted you that price? Like yourself I want to finally take the plunge and get my ppl this summer and am considering all my options. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Get your class 1 medical before you spend anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Hi AppleKid,

Getting your PPL licence is one of the most enjoyable and rewarding things you'll ever do, I wish you the best of luck with your training. You've obviously done some homework on what to expect.

Are you planning to go on to do commercial ratings after your PPL? If so, as Car99 says you should do your Class 1 medical (from either Charter Medical or the Mater Private) now before you spend any money. If you are planning to fly just as a hobby, you'll still need a Class 2 medical (which can be done at some local GPs - https://www.iaa.ie/personnel-licensing/aero-medical-section/examiners) and you should do that before you spending on your PPL - you need it before you are allowed to take your first solo anyway, so might as well get it straight away.

In my opinion €8k sounds a little on the low side for a complete PPL, what is the hourly cost you've been quoted for PPL tuition with an instructor? Are all of your landing fees included at the aerodrome you'll be training from? You'll be doing over 100 landings / touch and go's during the course.

Regarding flying time, generally you are paying for the actual log book time, ie from when you start the engine to when you park up and switch it off again. You might be in the air for an hour, but there will be some time beforehand briefing with your instructor and doing your pre-flight checks and walkarounds, and some time afterwards also. Expect an hour in the air to be closer to a 2 hour lesson in total. The only thing that goes into your log book is the 'engine running' time, of which you need 45 hours logged. However, ask your school are the pre-flight and post-flight briefings with your instructor including in the hourly flying cost, or is that extra.

The other extras you can expect, and approx costs:

- Ground school - approx €500 to €600, ask them for a quote
    - Books, maps, materials - €200
    - IAA Theory Exam fees - 9 exams, €420
    - EASA English skills test and cert - €80
    - PPL Skills test examiner fee - €300
    - Rental of aircraft for PPL skills test (2 hours) - €300
    - Class 2 medical €180
    - Issuing of PPL license at IAA - €150 (can't remember, could be way off)
    - Other misc training fees, landing fees at other airports etc - €200

Plus, as you've identified, you need to be prepared to fly some extra hours on top of the 45 hours if your instructor feels you need it. That cost can add up pretty quickly.

Regarding doing the PPL in 2 weeks in the USA, to me that sounds downright dangerous. There's no way you are going to absorb all of the instruction and safety advice from your flight instructor, and learn to fly in a responsible way by cramming it into 2 weeks. In my opinion the best part of learning to fly is hanging around at your local club chatting with other pilots and picking up little bits of information from your instructor before and after the flights. So take your time, soak up every moment of the experience and don't let yourself be pressured by time.

Happy flying!

robbie1876 wrote: »
    Regarding doing the PPL in 2 weeks in the USA, to me that sounds downright dangerous. There's no way you are going to absorb all of the instruction and safety advice from your flight instructor, and learn to fly in a responsible way by cramming it into 2 weeks.

How is it dangerous?
    It stays fresh in your mind rather than stretching it out over months, i took fridays off of work and flew four hours a day friday thru sunday. Had my ticket in no time.

you also need to factor in the OP will be paying for lodging as well so you cant waste time when the $$$ is flying out the window. If he has relatives or friends to stay with all the better.

You will never absorb everything no matter how hard you try, its a constant learning process, and if you think you know it all, well, you'll end up on the side of a mountain somewhere eventually

What you're effectively doing is learning to ride a bike, once you feel comfortable with the airplane and the maneuvers you can take that knowledge and experience back to Ireland and finish your ticket at a reduced cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SCOL

I got a microlight licence ( NPPL ) in Northern Ireland way cheaper that a PPL

I now own and fly my own plane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭keroseneboy

AppleKidd wrote: »
    Hey Everyone,

I'm interested in getting into flying and achieving my PPL.

I was researching around Ireland and doing it in the US. Any pilots here have recommendations on flight schools in Ireland.

I would love to own a plane but that won't be for a good few years. :)

Thanks in advance

Check out Embry-Riddle.

Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University's ranking in the 2019 edition of Best Colleges is Regional Universities South, 15. Its tuition and fees are $35,714 (2018-19). Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, located in Daytona Beach, Florida, is the largest and oldest aviation-focused university in the world.

robbie1876 wrote: »
    Hi AppleKid,

Getting your PPL licence is one of the most enjoyable and rewarding things you'll ever do, I wish you the best of luck with your training. You've obviously done some homework on what to expect.

Are you planning to go on to do commercial ratings after your PPL? If so, as Car99 says you should do your Class 1 medical (from either Charter Medical or the Mater Private) now before you spend any money. If you are planning to fly just as a hobby, you'll still need a Class 2 medical (which can be done at some local GPs - https://www.iaa.ie/personnel-licensing/aero-medical-section/examiners) and you should do that before you spending on your PPL - you need it before you are allowed to take your first solo anyway, so might as well get it straight away.

In my opinion €8k sounds a little on the low side for a complete PPL, what is the hourly cost you've been quoted for PPL tuition with an instructor? Are all of your landing fees included at the aerodrome you'll be training from? You'll be doing over 100 landings / touch and go's during the course.

Regarding flying time, generally you are paying for the actual log book time, ie from when you start the engine to when you park up and switch it off again. You might be in the air for an hour, but there will be some time beforehand briefing with your instructor and doing your pre-flight checks and walkarounds, and some time afterwards also. Expect an hour in the air to be closer to a 2 hour lesson in total. The only thing that goes into your log book is the 'engine running' time, of which you need 45 hours logged. However, ask your school are the pre-flight and post-flight briefings with your instructor including in the hourly flying cost, or is that extra.

The other extras you can expect, and approx costs:

- Ground school - approx €500 to €600, ask them for a quote
    - Books, maps, materials - €200
    - IAA Theory Exam fees - 9 exams, €420
    - EASA English skills test and cert - €80
    - PPL Skills test examiner fee - €300
    - Rental of aircraft for PPL skills test (2 hours) - €300
    - Class 2 medical €180
    - Issuing of PPL license at IAA - €150 (can't remember, could be way off)
    - Other misc training fees, landing fees at other airports etc - €200

Plus, as you've identified, you need to be prepared to fly some extra hours on top of the 45 hours if your instructor feels you need it. That cost can add up pretty quickly.

Regarding doing the PPL in 2 weeks in the USA, to me that sounds downright dangerous. There's no way you are going to absorb all of the instruction and safety advice from your flight instructor, and learn to fly in a responsible way by cramming it into 2 weeks. In my opinion the best part of learning to fly is hanging around at your local club chatting with other pilots and picking up little bits of information from your instructor before and after the flights. So take your time, soak up every moment of the experience and don't let yourself be pressured by time.

Happy flying!

Hey,

Thanks for the info, one question.

I rang the local aviation doctor and the receptionist said I have to be registered with the IAA first, is this through?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

You need, as some posters have said, to define what you want to do. If all you want to do is fly for pleasure, I suggest you go about getting your Microlight license and there are several schools in Ireland, North and South, for that. Modern microlights are fast, easy to operate and cheaper to run than a Group A aircraft...and are a whole lot of fun, besides...........I dont understand why you need to be registered with the IAA to go and get a PPL medical, as it's not much more complicated than a routine GP's visit. I'd check that again and don't just take the receptionist's word for it. Costs for getting a microlight license are also less than for getting a Group A license and----importantly, it is easier and cheaper to afford to keep a microlight license going. An awful lot of PPLs allow their license to lapse because of the cost of staying current. Look at schools like Ultraflight or James Morrisroe's school in Frenchpark or the excellent Kernan Aviation at Tandragee.

Stovepipe wrote: »
    You need, as some posters have said, to define what you want to do. If all you want to do is fly for pleasure, I suggest you go about getting your Microlight license and there are several schools in Ireland, North and South, for that. Modern microlights are fast, easy to operate and cheaper to run than a Group A aircraft...and are a whole lot of fun, besides...........I dont understand why you need to be registered with the IAA to go and get a PPL medical, as it's not much more complicated than a routine GP's visit. I'd check that again and don't just take the receptionist's word for it. Costs for getting a microlight license are also less than for getting a Group A license and----importantly, it is easier and cheaper to afford to keep a microlight license going. An awful lot of PPLs allow their license to lapse because of the cost of staying current. Look at schools like Ultraflight or James Morrisroe's school in Frenchpark or the excellent Kernan Aviation at Tandragee.

Ya, I know what I want, I would like to get my PPLA. Down the road, I would like to gain my CPL and move onto air transport/Cargo.

I clarified the medical issue with the IAA and they got back and said no need to be registered with the IAA before the medical and the doctor will have all the documentation needed.

Advertisement