Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skint Britain Channel 4

Options
  • 20-02-2019 10:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭

Anyone watching this tonight , about people on the dole in Hartlepool in England and the change in dole payments to monthly . Social welfare in England is less than half what’s paid here and there’s also heavy sanctions for those not making serious efforts to get work . Most of those on the dole are penniless in his programme . Mad stuff

As opposed to welfare Ireland where you can get 50-60000 on welfare if your from an Irish ethnic group with ten children !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,002 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Watched about 5 mins of it there.

Guy docked money for 3 months for not attending an appt, fair enough I suppose. He's doing nothing all day, shouldn't be missing appts.

Just looking at all these young lads. Why can't they find any work? Are they even looking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

LuasSimon wrote: »
    Anyone watching this tonight , about people on the dole in Hartlepool in England and the change in dole payments to monthly . Social welfare in England is less than half what’s paid here and there’s also heavy sanctions for those not making serious efforts to get work . Most of those on the dole are penniless in his programme . Mad stuff

As opposed to welfare Ireland where you can get 50-60000 on welfare if your from an Irish ethnic group with ten children !

Ireland's most loved ethnic minority? Surely not? I mean they're the pillars of many local communities and would never dream of making fraudulent use of the social welfare system would they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

NIMAN wrote: »
    Watched about 5 mins of it there.

Guy docked money for 3 months for not attending an appt, fair enough I suppose. He's doing nothing all day, shouldn't be missing appts.

Just looking at all these young lads. Why can't they find any work? Are they even looking?

With a knowledge of the north of England there’s huge areas off some of those city’s with no jobs , a shelf stacker in sainsburys could see 100 applying for it .
    Parts of wales are as bad , many on UK benefits genuinely can’t get work and are going hungry , as opposed to here where some people’s can have unlimited benefits ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

some parts of the UK have no jobs > as in meaningful secure jobs

we have it sweet over here compared to them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Ireland must loved ethnic minority? Surely not? I mean they're the pillars of many local communities and would never dream of making fraudulent use of the social welfare system would they?

Their not doing it fraudently . If yourself and the missus are married don’t work and have ten kids you can get the same , if anyone mentions a job start on about discrimination . Most people rightly or wrongly though prefer to get employment and pay their way . You’d wonder at times who is right .

• Registered Users Posts: 20,507 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

LuasSimon wrote: »
    Their not doing it fraudently . If yourself and the missus are married don’t work and have ten kids you can get the same , if anyone mentions a job start on about discrimination . Most people rightly or wrongly though prefer to get employment and pay their way . You’d wonder at times who is right .

The way you're making them out no employer would give them a job. Plenty of more suitable people from Poland.

fryup wrote: »
    some parts of the UK have no jobs > as in meaningful secure jobs

we have it sweet over here compared to them

And these are the areas which voted overwhelmingly for BREXIT.

Like its going to make the job situation better.

The fools.

The Hartlefools.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Football team are also doing sh1te this yr, lower end of the Conference with with no hope of promotion.

I always had a soft spot for the monkey hangers.

Like everything else in Hartlepool they battle to stay afloat financially.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The poverty is so much worse than over here even in our worst areas

Don't understand why they are not arriving here by the boatload to claim

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

giphy.gif
    beat me to it , hardly worth logging in any more

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

All that north east area of England could never replace the ship building industry.

They were relatively prosperous areas with full employment at one point.

All that north east area of England could never replace the ship building industry.

They were relatively prosperous areas with full employment at one point.

I doubt if they were more prosperous at the time of the Jarrow March.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭BobbyBobberson

The poverty is so much worse than over here even in our worst areas

Don't understand why they are not arriving here by the boatload to claim

Absolutely. Even some of those who do work have a ****ty existence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

What was the overall message of the show? Kind of a "Look how bad these people have it" or "Look at these bloody layabouts" sort of thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

Hartlepool was about 2:1 for leaving.

They're disillusioned, they're impoverished, they don't see a future, they resent the perceived levels of immigration, and they took it out on their 'betters'.

Calling people Hartlefools because they voted as they did, is condescending ignorance.

They're not fools, and maybe if the EU had done a better job of convincing them that their lives were in any significant way better within it... the outcome might have been different.

I can't understand why people here can't get it into their thick skulls - Brexit, for ordinary 'Leave' voters was never about +/- jobs.

For ordinary leave voters it was about racism and their ill informed notion that the EU were the bad guys.

They will soon find out their vote will make things a lot worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Get Real

I know they have it very bad it Hartpoole, but christ, if you were lucky enough to have a steady job, house prices start at 16k. 25 to 30 k for 2/3 bed terraced houses.

Obviously no good to the unemployed, or someone on a zero hours contract.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/find.html?locationIdentifier=REGION%5E601&sortType=1#prop57737412

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

If there is a hierarchy of endemic national poverty in developed economies I'd say Ireland is somewhere worse than say France or the Nordic nations but rather better than Portugal, UK or USA. Food banks are not part of the social fabric of this country even if homelessness in it's various forms is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,186 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Repeated again on 47 at 1.10am.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

Repeated again on 47 at 1.10am.

What channel is 47?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

For ordinary leave voters it was about racism and their ill informed notion that the EU were the bad guys.

They will soon find out their vote will make things a lot worse.

52% racist? That’s huge.

Unless you want to campaign for those you perceive to be lesser than yourself to be disenfranchised, I suggest you pick up your toys, put them back in your pram, and walk on.

The magic wonderland that is Hartlepool has had plenty of immigration, and had plenty of EU funds, and still it's quite a depressing place for so many.

Yet another delusion of the brainwashed is to think that people voted 'leave' for the reasons that the 'Leave' campaigned on. Actually, they frequently didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,186 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

macnug wrote: »
    What channel is 47?

Four 7, some Channel 4 type 2nd chance channel, it's on Freesat, Sky etc.

52% racist? That’s huge.

I was using the term 'ordinary' as it was used above to describe the type of folk on this programme. Not every leave voter.

Would I say that there is a high level of racism among those who feature on shows like this? Definitely.

52% racist? That’s huge.

Hartlepool was 70% for leave.

Imagine 70% of a town of 90k people being not as clever as NIMAN. They'd have walked into the sea years ago.

:D

Hartlepool was about 2:1 for leaving.

They're disillusioned, they're impoverished, they don't see a future, they resent the perceived levels of immigration, and they took it out on their 'betters'.

Calling people Hartlefools because they voted as they did, is condescending ignorance.

They're not fools, and maybe if the EU had done a better job of convincing them that their lives were in any significant way better within it... the outcome might have been different.

I can't understand why people here can't get it into their thick skulls - Brexit, for ordinary 'Leave' voters was never about +/- jobs.

Condescending ignorance to tell people they have thick skulls. And to label people as ordinary.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Sorry this is rich Britain with a powerhouse economy ? Shows this kip up for the banana republic it is. Watch those spineless rats further inflate the welfare spend again this budget!

Fifty percent marginal rate on the working poor. Propping up the off the wall welfare state !

• Advertisement

I was using the term 'ordinary' as it was used above to describe the type of folk on this programme. Not every leave voter.

Would I say that there is a high level of racism among those who feature on shows like this? Definitely.

Go away out of it !

What about the 'extraordinary' leave voters then ?

Advertisement