Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Snymans are(n't) Forever

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    He's a replacement for Stander from the perspective that he's filling that budget/slot in the roster , but in terms of the games that he's likely to be involved in , he is absolutely not going to be replacing Stander.

In terms of "games selected for" he'll be far closer to being a replacement for Billy Holland than Stander - And Wycherley and Ahearn should be the ones playing those games, not an Non IQ journeyman.

Given that Stander was on a central contract , signing Jenkins is probably part of the reason that Sweetnam and JJH were let go, financially speaking.

It's money they need not have spent and if they were spending it , it should have been on a top quality Tight head.

Incorrect. They were let go because they are not internationals and they play in positions where there is a lot of depth with young players progressing from the academy. Cronin is in the same position. These players were always going to be the ones not renewed.

I also seriously doubt that a Non IQ journeyman, as you call him, on a one year contract will be on that much money.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

He's a good signing from the limited amounts of rugby I've seen from him. Does it mean a permanent spot in the backrow for Beirne going forward? You'd have to imagine so

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Incorrect. They were let go because they are not internationals and they play in positions where there is a lot of depth with young players progressing from the academy. Cronin is in the same position. These players were always going to be the ones not renewed.

Broadly speaking you are correct..It certainly wouldn't have been an isolated either/or decision.

Given the challenges due to Covid , they have had to reduce their budget by X amount.

Clearly they aren't going to simply cut the highest cost player - they are going to look at those coming out of contract and those considered "less important" to the squad - So any player not currently an International or a guaranteed starter whose contract was up for renewal this summer was going to be in that "review" category.

So looking at whatever that "X" amount is , they have obviously reached that number net of signing Jenkins and indeed the guys being upgraded from the Academy.

Logically, therefore his signing increased the likelihood of an existing players contract not being renewed at least to some extent.

I don't have a particular issue with them signing a new player , far from it - I just think he's covering a position and games that I don't think they need cover for.

That money could and should have been spent better elsewhere in terms of building a squad capable of moving forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

hahashake wrote: »
    Don't suppose if anyone knows whether Marshall is retiring or going to England/France /Japan?

Nothing being said as yet... but he played for.tge Chiefs before he came here, he's 28yo...I'd say he'll be looking to play when he's back in NZ

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Bridge93 wrote: »
    He's a good signing from the limited amounts of rugby I've seen from him. Does it mean a permanent spot in the backrow for Beirne going forward? You'd have to imagine so

I highly doubt it - The number of times that they would both be in the same match day squad will be very limited barring injuries.

Everybody fit and available Kleyn and Snyman are the starting locks , with Beirne either starting at 6 or starting ahead of Kleyn in the row.

Jenkins will not be the reason Beirne plays at 6 if he does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Clegg wrote: »
    I understand that Larkham can't come out and say Munster were crap last weekend, but this kind of blatant lie only serves to piss off the fanbase as well as make him a figure for ridicule. The game was not evenly matched as he tries to put it.

https://twitter.com/Murray_Kinsella/status/1376870357303496705?s=09

I didn't realise Larkham moonlighted as a comedian....

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

Nothing being said as yet... but he played for.tge Chiefs before he came here, he's 28yo...I'd say he'll be looking to play when he's back in NZ

That was my assumption but I wouldn't be surprised to see him going to Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

I have to laugh at Leinster supporters saying the Jenkins signing is a bad idea when they were largely in favour of signing Tomane when Leinster already had Henshaw, Reid, Conor O'Brien and Tom Daly for 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,998 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I have to laugh at Leinster supporters saying the Jenkins signing is a bad idea when they were largely in favour of signing Tomane when Leinster already had Henshaw, Reid, Conor O'Brien and Tom Daly for 12.

Leinster fans would probably tell you Tomane wasn't a very good signing in hindsight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Munster need better starter plays off set piece, and better ball players through the spine of the team so the attack can be more unpredictable. I'm thinking Coombes at 8 rather than 6 and Daly at 15. Also, while the centres aren't bad passers, they're too similar. There's too much bosh and not enough evasion. I think they should try Earls at 13. I used to groan anytime I saw him at 13 under Kidney for Ireland, but he improved his handling a lot under Smith, and is actually pretty good in that regard now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

Munster need better starter plays off set piece, and better ball players through the spine of the team so the attack can be more unpredictable. I'm thinking Coombes at 8 rather than 6 and Daly at 15. Also, while the centres aren't bad passers, they're too similar. There's too much bosh and not enough evasion. I think they should try Earls at 13. I used to groan anytime I saw him at 13 under Kidney for Ireland, but he improved his handling a lot under Smith, and is actually pretty good in that regard now.

Moving a 33 year old to centre at this stage? not sure thats a long term plan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭theVersatile

No chance of Haley moving out of full back - he's a perfectly good ball player. Daly at 13 might be a shout alright if it's felt the centre combination isn't working. He's played there before IIRC.

Either that or we bring Karl Martin into our academy :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭TRC10

Apples and oranges.

Tomane had 17 Wallby caps and was replacing another NIE player. He came in as a squad player to cover centre or wing.

There was no question of him ever being ahead of Henshaw. Reid and Daly were both in their mid 20s and were only ever Pro14 players and C.O'Brien was hardly the elite prospect that Ahern is.

And in hindsight, Tomane wasn't a great signing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

What, importing two world cup winners wasn't enough?

• Administrators Posts: 53,428 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I’m impressed with how brazen this would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

yerrahbah wrote: »

That signing would have made more sense.
    A player who could elevate munster above Leinster.

Instead you got a squad filler who won't make much odds about beating Leinster while potentially blocking young talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,757 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

It'll take more than any one player to elevate Munster over Leinster even if if that player is the current WPOTY. A better front row, second row and new attacking system is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

TRC10 wrote: »
    Apples and oranges.

Tomane had 17 Wallby caps and was replacing another NIE player. He came in as a squad player to cover centre or wing.

There was no question of him ever being ahead of Henshaw. Reid and Daly were both in their mid 20s and were only ever Pro14 players and C.O'Brien was hardly the elite prospect that Ahern is.

And in hindsight, Tomane wasn't a great signing.

Also worth noting that Daly was perma-injured. Was Reid not late 20s by then too and nearing 100 caps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

yerrahbah wrote: »

I nearly won the euro millions
    I was only 4 numbers short

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Thomasirl123

After the last few years it's time to give potential a chance. I'd like to see a season of this:

Josh Wycherley
    Rhys Marshall
    Roman Salanoa

Thomas Ahern
    RG Snyman

Tadhg Beirne
    John Hodnett
    Gavin Coombes

Craig Casey
    Jack Crowley/Ben Healy

Damian de Allende
    Chris Farrell

Andrew Conway
    Shane Daly
    Joey Carbery

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

If that is the best you can come up with.......

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Clegg wrote: »
    It'll take more than any one player to elevate Munster over Leinster even if if that player is the current WPOTY. A better front row, second row and new attacking system is required.

Having Snyman and PSDT would be a start.

Like awec, I'm laughing at the cheek of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

awec wrote: »
    I’m impressed with how brazen this would be.

Who would have brokered this deal for Munster?
    It seems incredibly naive and a waste of time and resources to do so without IRFU approval initially.

Or is all a convenient leak of sorts to deflect from the unwanted attention of the Jenkins signing?
    Which I also thought was naive and a waste of resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

If it's the same role (a one year deal), then I don't see the difference in signing PSDT or Jenkins. Someone else is footing the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭TRC10

molloyjh wrote: »
    Also worth noting that Daly was perma-injured. Was Reid not late 20s by then too and nearing 100 caps.

Yeah he was 28, and also playing a fair bit at 10 with Carbery gone and Sexton and Byrne in the Ireland squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Jenkins got a one year contract, one year. I'm missing whatever the big deal is if Munster intend to play him in the back row. Remember we committed to playing Joey at 10 not 15 and I can't remember him ever starting at 15 for Munster. Much ado about nothing.

Will be be gutted to see Marshall go, he was mooted to be capped for Ireland but injury got in the way. Such a supremely decent guy, of all the rugby players I've ever met.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Seems more and more likely that Zebo will be moving to England, London Irish seem to be making a move.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,670 ✭✭✭nerd69

Seems more and more likely that Zebo will be moving to England, London Irish seem to be making a move.

That makes sense I think they said a season or two ago they wanted to build the irish connection again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

nerd69 wrote: »
    That makes sense I think they said a season or two ago they wanted to build the irish connection again

To the braai and faithful, nothing is impossible.

Come on the Springboxty!!

Advertisement