Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contraception ideas...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Hi OP.

I used the Natural Cycles app for 7 months on "prevent" mode. The app is a certified contraceptive.

Basically it gives you red days when it detects you are fertile and green days when you are not. Green days mean you're okay to have unprotected sex. At the start you get a lot of red days so unless you want to use condoms/diaphragm/etc you have to abstain for a good for days of your cycle. But the more you use the app the more green days you get. You need to take your basal body temperature every morning at approx the same time which doesn't suit everyone. You can also use ovulation tests (I just got cheap ones on Amazon) to make the app more accurate. These are optional though.

There is a very useful Facebook group called "Natural Cycles Users" which has a very active community if you are on FB and would like to find out more. Unplanned pregnancies DO happen with this app and we see them the odd time on the Facebook group but pretty much all the time it's due to user error. For example many people use the withdrawal method on red days thinking it'll be grand but obviously it isn't.

I am now 22 weeks pregnant and used the app in "plan" mode to know when I'd be most fertile to conceive. And it worked first month. So I avoided pregnancy for 7 months and got pregnant in my first month of trying. I was on the pill for 10+ years and just wanted to try out this app before getting pregnant and to see if my cycle would be normal after being on the pill for so long. Not sure if I would have used it if I had no intention on getting pregnant anytime soon. But I do trust this app once you do it right. I also recommended reading Taking Charge of Your Fertility if you are interested in natural methods to understand the science behind it.

Hope that helps!

Youre situation sounds very like mine, I'll likely start trying the on next 12 months and have come off the pill to see what my natural cycle is like. I haven’t had a period for 5 years due to the pill!

It would be less of an unplanned pregnancy and more of an early pregnancy if it did mess up so I might try this as the risks are relatively low for me at this stage of my life!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Addle wrote: »
    I do question why we're ok with pumping our own bodies full of fake hormones, but don't allow animals that we eat to ingest hormones.
    I think that's a bit messed up.

Ah, I think I can help clear this up! The hormones fed to cattle (in the US) are Bovine growth hormones. Cow growth hormones are not human reproductive hormones, different thing entirely. And the reason they don’t feed them to cattle, is because ingesting cattle hormones may affect human health.

Advertisement