Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Awww .... my heart bleeds for them.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,080 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Transfer from deposit account - €45,000

So there's a deposit account?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    And yet the same logic doesn't apply to another well-known religion and it's relevance to Western societies.

It's open season on the RCC for years now (and justifiably so), but not an ill word can be said about a far more socially destructive religion or all the - ist and - ism's come out.

I'm not being smart.. I just find it genuinely interesting why we can attack and dismiss one, but not the other. Funny how the "modern" world works.

Personally I've no time for religion of any kind but respect people's right to believe in whatever they wish SO LONG AS those beliefs don't negatively affect others or contravene the laws of the State.

To be fair it's not catholicism or christianity in general that's under attack. It's the fringe groups in christianity and the RCC itself. And for different reasons.

The RCC as an organisation didn't just cover up abuse, it all but facilitated it. I know not every priest or bishop is to blame. But there was enough to bring the organisation into disrepute. And some of its teachings regarding divorce, contraception, homosexuality etc are very outdated.

But the thing is that most of the flak it takes is as an organisation. Regular catholics don't take the same flak. And no-one thinks all catholics are like that.

Even when it comes to christianity in general we can separate the everyday christian from fringe groups.

The problem is that when we talk about other religions we all to often conflate the worst members of that religion with the religion as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,211 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Few funny ones there (I'm no accountant maybe makes sense )

Insurance claim in and out??
    18k to upkeep the parochial house?
    4k for organ in Cobh?
    18900 going in and out?

The insurance claim was due to a hig oil leak outside. They had to do a good of repairing.
    Technically isn't insurance meant put you back where you originally started. No better to worse off.(I might be off about that).
    They have 4 houses in the town and they did up another for the nuns to live in during the years.
    I don't know about the organ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Cryptopagan

They have 4 houses in the town and they did up another toilet buns live in during the years.

Mmmm, toilet buns.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,447 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

NIMAN wrote: »
    So there isn't money to pay the priests

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/diocese-had-no-money-at-christmas-to-pay-priests-wages-after-decline-in-donations-from-parishioners-37826752.html

What a shame.

That's what happens when you commit terrible crimes, cover them up, and expect the sheep to let you away with it.

Thankfully, Ireland is finally waking up to the Catholic Church.

Is there a word like Islamaphobia for a hatred of Catholics and our religion that would best describe this lad?

• Advertisement

Mmmm, toilet buns.

I meant nuns.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,267 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Is there a word like Islamaphobia for a hatred of Catholics and our religion that would best describe this lad?

He never said anything about hating Catholics.

He's spot on tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

The tax refund is the usual tax rebate available to charities on annual contributions over a certain value, for which the contributor has given permission for it to be redeemed from Revenue.

nice to know the tax paying public who choose not to attend are getting it the back door to the tune of 27K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

nice to know the tax paying public who choose not to attend are getting it the back door to the tune of 27K

Every charity in the country, whether you support or agree with them, gets tax refunds if the contributors are paying tax and agree to the rebate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    They are one of the richest organisations in the world. Let headquarters pay their staff.

Can't believe people give them money tbh.
    Youd be the first in the queue booking some traditional old church for your wedding

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    They are one of the richest organisations in the world. Let headquarters pay their staff.

Can't believe people give them money tbh.

Seems like this is a problem for the franchise to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

and their involvement in maintaining sites, in the Holy Land.

Those missile launching sites cost a fair bit even just to maintain, there's always something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I stand with priests

Are you a priest or is this a bus stop scenario? I've stood with Nuns.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Where did you stand with the nuns?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Would be a shame to see the Church decline any further. Like it or not, it's part of our culture and heritage.
    That's one of the most rediculous excuses that's regularly trotted when people are averse to change. "Oh but it's our heritage, our culture". And once upon a time, we had animal hides for clothing, slept in caves, captured fire from lightening cos we couldn't make it. We ate other humans, slept with relatives. We thought the Earth was flat. We thought we could identify witches by seeing if they couldn't be drowned. We discriminated against black people, gay people, people with disabilities.
    At some point in time all these archaic "norms" became abnormal. Thankfully.
    Finally the worship of imaginary creatures is beginning to also become abnormal. Slowly, but all good things take time.

branie2 wrote: »
    Where did you stand with the nuns?

Funnily enough with the church on decline in Ireland,etc.
    My local parish decided to take of four Spanish nun's in the last year. I think it's meant to get people interested in the church again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

kenmc wrote: »
    That's one of the most rediculous excuses that's regularly trotted when people are averse to change. "Oh but it's our heritage, our culture". .

In law it's referred to as "The pikey defence".
    It's also known colloquially as "a load of auld bollox"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I'm not an animal-lover (well...some are tasty) but I put up with dog, cat and donkey sanctuaries all over the country getting their tax relief too.
    Berserker wrote: »
    51942473_2314308371935710_951835482315030528_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub1-2.fna&oh=e5e380fb23fa3d8bcd1410ce5dab783a&oe=5CDB09EA

What are 'holy places'? That's one hell of a tax refund. If someone leaves them a gift; house for example, do they include that in their accounts?
    I'd say the 'holy place' in this instance is actually on the list twice. Firstly as 'holy places' (both income and expenditure = €1600), and secondly as 'St Fanahan's Well' (also with both income and expenditure = €1600).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Odhinn

kenmc wrote: »
    That's one of the most rediculous excuses that's regularly trotted when people are averse to change. "Oh but it's our heritage, our culture". And once upon a time, we had animal hides for clothing, slept in caves, captured fire from lightening cos we couldn't make it. We ate other humans, slept with relatives. We thought the Earth was flat. We thought we could identify witches by seeing if they couldn't be drowned. We discriminated against black people, gay people, people with disabilities.
    At some point in time all these archaic "norms" became abnormal. Thankfully.
    Finally the worship of imaginary creatures is beginning to also become abnormal. Slowly, but all good things take time.

Ahh the 80's. Remember them well, the parts where I wasn't locked out of me gee at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Mmmm, toilet buns.
    Are thy like urinal cakes?
    I meant nuns.

Toilet nuns? That's a much worse option than the buns.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Church buildings need to be maintained. Who pays for that?

Church buildings need to be maintained. Who pays for that?

I think there's a collection for that during the year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

Emigrants, 1800 Euro
    Wait, do you have to pay to leave the church :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

The sooner the RCC disappears the better so Islam can be seen as a proper mainstream option here.

Islam will save Europe and it's people

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Odhinn

I think there's a collection for that during the year!

There'll be one for geophysics eventually.
    https://www.broadsheet.ie/2019/02/20/angels-plot/

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

The sooner the RCC disappears the better so Islam can be seen as a proper mainstream option here.

Islam will save Europe and it's people

No Scientology will.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

kylith wrote: »
    Are thy like urinal cakes?

Toilet nuns? That's a much worse option than the buns.

Ah, nuns in the Jack's offering to wash your hands and the likes. Makes sense, I presume they're not very busy on a Saturday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The list would be endless, I gave a handful of examples.

What total and utter rubbish IMHO but I guess it is subjective. I think you'll find that most people would disagree with you on the church being a 'positive influence' in Ireland.

Ah because you saw a Monty Python sketch about the Spanish Inquisition you're an expert on it?

Where did I say it was a 'positive influence' anywhere in my post, you dolt?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭pawdee

Surely god won't see them short? Maybe he could convert mass leaflets into cash or old bottle tops into 2 euro coins? How about he converts water into Chateau Petrus 1961 for them to flog? If god comes up short they could sell a few biliion euros worth of church property, shut up shop and retire? There are plenty of options.

Advertisement