Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Honda potentially closing factory in UK

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

yes i think the honda owner said that they never would make a diesel engine.. their first ones were brought in from Suzuki i think?

The first UK-built Civics, the '96-'00 MA/MB/MC 5-door hatchback and estate based on the Domani, and related to the Rover 400/45, were available with a 2.0 Rover L-series diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...spend any time in Japan and it's obvious none of the car manufacturers believed in diesel at all: they only built them through gritted teeth, to keep an EU presence.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭micks_address

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Honda is the largest petrol engine manufacturer in the world, 14m units per year.
    That's not just cars its all engines generators etc.
    They came late to diesel but their Diesels are some of the nicest to drive I think.
    Yes if they could have upped the 1.6 from the 9th gen civic to about 150bhp without damaging mpg to much would have been lovely.. I think they did a 160bhp version in the crv but was a fair bit more thirsty

Mazda put some serious effort recently developing the SkyActiv-D engines, and they do market them domestically but I'm not sure if they sell much.

I was in Japan last year and saw one diesel passenger car - and it was French :) A DS3 or DS4 or something.

Taxis are mostly LPG there. Even most light commercial vehicles are petrol, until you get to Dyna/Canter size yokes or serious off-roaders (Hilux, Land Cruiser, etc.).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

galwaytt wrote: »
    ...spend any time in Japan and it's obvious none of the car manufacturers believed in diesel at all: they only built them through gritted teeth, to keep an EU presence.

They had diesel cars though, I remember plenty of Mazda 626 Diesels years ago, and Bongo vans.
    I'm not sure when they made a move to phase them out though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

yes i think the honda owner said that they never would make a diesel engine.. their first ones were brought in from Suzuki i think?

Honda made whispering diesels

They had diesel cars though, I remember plenty of Mazda 626 Diesels years ago, and Bongo vans.
    I'm not sure when they made a move to phase them out though.

Well, vans aren't cars ;) Vans like the Hiace, Nissan Caravan, Mazda Bongo, etc. are available in diesel form in Japan, but unlike here they are also available in petrol form so not 100% diesel by any means.

Diesel cars have always been a niche there, and emissions regulations are stricter in Japan so they became even less common after the '90s. But certain manufacturers like Honda and Subaru traditionally never made diesels until they were pretty much forced into it by Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭youcantakethat

To be honest I don't think brexit is the issue. Honda have lost their way with their model lineup. .

Correct. The Swindon factory was only at 65% capacity for years. Honda are also closing their plant in Turkey, so all manufacturing will be done in Japan. Was the EU wise to remove tariffs on imports from Japan?

Correct. The Swindon factory was only at 65% capacity for years. Honda are also closing their plant in Turkey, so all manufacturing will be done in Japan. Was the EU wise to remove tariffs on imports from Japan?

Its a two way street, Japan is a big market for food, beef etc so I guess its swings and roundabouts.

Its a two way street, Japan is a big market for food, beef etc so I guess its swings and roundabouts.
    Honda fanatics always reckoned the Japan built models were of higher quality

• Advertisement

It’s my belief that all the Japanese made vehicles were better than the UK made ones that’s not just Honda but Toyota as well not sure about Nissan never had one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,155 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

samih wrote: »
    Global trends, i.e. both UK and USA building walls and messing up with the global free trade. It's interesting that in a city that has 3500 workers directly involved with a global corporation, that is exporting 90 percent of it's produce, people should majorly vote for the Brexit.

A testament to the power of propaganda

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

MadYaker wrote: »

Yea, just a total coincidence that a factory that supplies mainly ETA and faces possible parts supply issues, decides to wind down just before UK is due to leave the customs union. Nissan Xtrail is also definitely a coincidence. Nothing to do with impending hard Brexit at all.

samih wrote: »
    MadYaker wrote: »

Yea, just a total coincidence that a factory that supplies mainly ETA and faces possible parts supply issues, decides to wind down just before UK is due to leave the customs union. Nissan Xtrail is also definitely a coincidence. Nothing to do with impending hard Brexit at all.
    Honda have been struggling for a while in fairness..

Advertisement