Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite golfer ever

Options
  • 18-02-2019 3:56pm
    Site Banned Posts: 5

Who is your favourite ever golfer. I liked Greg Norman

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,034 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Jack for my old man, but there was just something about Norman for me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Dtoffee

Lee Trevino .... a natural talent and a force of nature.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lkDcuc5YwA

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Nick Faldo.

Got into golf at the end of the 80's/90's when he was at his peak. Norman, Seve and Faldo were the big three at that time.
    Faldo's swing was just majestic to me during that era. He was a machine.
    Got a photo with him at the Seve Trophy in 2007 but lost the picture :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭blue note

Padraig.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,654 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Rory

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

Seve

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Bagger Vance...

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Scott Tenorman

Tiger!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,825 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

loved Christy Jnr when I was a kid and I idolised him. did have a soft spot for Faldo back then, I've no idea why though!! Liked Norman a bit, but my dad kept putting me off him because he snubbed me quite rudely in the car park of Royal Dublin when I asked for an autograph.

Seve has to be my all time favourite though.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭kennethrhcp

I used to love jesper parnevik

I'm in my mid30s... Tiger was everywhere & won everything when I was growing up so he's gotta be up there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Bubba

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

I grew up watching the magician that was Seve, always great to watch,also lucky enough to see Jack at Mount Juliet,two of the all time greats

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

At times Norman - but was hard to see his nearlys, Padraig - just the sense of enjoyment he portrays and love of the sport....but ultimately no one can compare to Tiger.
    His difference in a tournament is unsurpassed and when he's on fire anything can happen, what he did in the US Open in 2000 showed he truly was on another planet the way he absolutely decimated the field and went on to win the four majors in a row...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

Padraig Harrington for me but Seve a close second, had the pleasure of shaking Seve’s hand once when his trophy was been played in The Heritage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭OS_Head

At the moment, Shane Lowry. Ever since the interview he gave Joe Molloy while practicing for the Irish Open

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Break80

Friend of mine won a comp to play in the pro am at The Irish Open in Killarney a few years back.
    His young lad was outside the ropes at the practice area when my friend went to him got his cap and asked Padraig to sign it for him. Padraig refused. Fair enough thought my friend he is practicing and don't want any distractions.
    Padraig had seen him go to his young lad already and guessed what was happening
    so over he went lifted the ropes and walked the young fella up the line of pros meeting every one of them and getting his cap signed. Real VIP stuff.
    Father and Son still talk about it.
    A real Mark of the man.
    Without a doubt our greatest sportsman ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Phil Mickelson. I always liked him and then he started winning me money in the bookies. When he won his first major I remember Butch Harmon saying he'd had to adopt his game and curb his attacking instincts. This may have been true but I don't think he did, years later he hit that shot from the pine needles on 13 at Augusta.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Tiger
    Seve
    Phil

And as well documented anybody Irish or northern Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

To add to that was too young for real seve so in his day Jose Maria olazabal was a great sub.

I also had a strange admiration for the peculiar style of Langer and for that matter Kaymer was one cool ****er.

I also like Daly , he just broke every mould going.

Agree Norman changed golf but it was heartbreaking stuff .

The stiff upper lip of the English pros was a pain in the arse and a bit fake .

Woosnam was a great shake up of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

Ray Floyd for his books on scoring.

Padraig for his dedication.

Seve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

Ben Hogan. Loved watching him on Sky Sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

Faldo.

Loved the Irish guys O'Connor Jnr, Walton, Rafferty, Darcy and Smyth and tracked their progress religiously on Ceefax(P.321)

Harrington and Seve would be up there but it was Faldo from being a kid and trying to copy his swing from magazines and Leadbetter videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Was a huge fan of Davis Love when I was younger. Such an elegant but powerful swing and always seemed to behave well on the course, a real southern gent.

Always root for the Irish but my guilty pleasure has to be Colin Montgomerie. Unfailingly rude and entitled though he was, you just had to love somebody who loved the game so much and wanted so desperately to perform well. And what a brilliant player. Wonderful swing and refreshingly quick. When he blew the US Open at Winged Foot in '06, its as close as Ive ever come to crying watching golf. His golf in the Ryder Cup made him a player to respect whether you love him or hate him. Ditto Poulter.

I was a massive fan of Payne Stewart. What a golf swing, it was almost therapeutic watching him hit the ball. 1999 US Open remains the most exciting major Ive ever watched. Stewart pulling through after messing up the previous year against a leaderboard that featured Woods, Mickelson, Singh and Duval right in their prime. Such a tragic loss

But probably my all time favourite has to be the king of cool, Fred Couples. So much talent its ridiculous. An incredible swing, like hes made from elastic. Even with his record, an under achiever to rival anybody in sport, but does he care? Like **** he does! Legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Freddy Couples

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Phil Mickelson. I always liked him and then he started winning me money in the bookies. When he won his first major I remember Butch Harmon saying he'd had to adopt his game and curb his attacking instincts. This may have been true but I don't think he did, years later he hit that shot from the pine needles on 13 at Augusta.

Do a bit of research. "Figjam" is a fine player, but not a good guy at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Padraig Harrington and Tiger

Both by an absolute mile

• Registered Users Posts: 15,825 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

That's what Billy Walters says anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I've heard he was unpopular. The PGA tour itself is full of rather unsavoury characters imo, some of this is ego which you find common in elite sports.

There's always a gripe around someone particularly if they are good. Faldo, Tiger and Phil were all widely disliked on tour. I've heard enough to accept I probably wouldn't like Phil the person without knowing how true any of it is but as a golfer he's my favourite.
    Always liked Bernard "Nice Guy" Langer too.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Beaulieu

Break80 wrote: »
    Without a doubt our greatest sportsman ever.

110% Compete and utter Gent. Queued with my son in Dundrum SC a few years ago where he stayed for at least 8 hours speaking to fans and signing everything and anything that people proffered. He was there as a fundraiser for Goal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Padraig by a mile

Watch the senior tour all of a sudden get popular in Ireland in a few more years

Advertisement