Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite horse ever

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Jollyman

Flat:-
    Crimplene

National Hunt:-
    Flagship Uberalles
    Wahiba Sands
    Gloria victis

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Vautour, Denman, Sprinter Sacre.

Hawk wing, Alamshar and High Chaparral.

So many great memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Our Conor for personal reason for myself, Absolute hero of a horse.

Roaring Lion on the flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

aidankkk wrote: »
    Vautour :(

The best horse i ever saw around Cheltenham , which f**k it, is where it matters most.

Just pips Barizan

The greatest I ever saw around Cheltenham too Aidan

A gazelle in equine form

Different gravy altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pugw

Our Connor, the re run of his win in Cheltenham always g’s me up for the festival!
    Also Balthazar King/ cue card

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭zpehtsfd

The majestic Dawn Run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

Dessie for me

I didn't like the horse at the time ( questions about the trainer ) but he was an absolute living legend of a jumper who deserves far more mentions than he gets when people talk about the great horses.

From that era Carvill's Hill was a true beast of horse who was let down quite badly by his back problems. Never a natural chaser he relied on having the biggest engine that I've ever seen in a National Hunt horse. As a novice in a racecourse gallop he gave a 20l beating to a horse who went on to finish 2nd in that year's Champion Hurdle.

Another great horse who seems to be forgotten was the triple Champion Hurdler See You Then who also had serious tendon problems to overcome while achieving his feats.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Panrich

tryfix wrote: »
    I didn't like the horse at the time ( questions about the trainer ) but he was an absolute living legend of a jumper who deserves far more mentions than he gets when people talk about the great horses.

From that era Carvill's Hill was a true beast of horse who was let down quite badly by his back problems. Never a natural chaser he relied on having the biggest engine that I've ever seen in a National Hunt horse. As a novice in a racecourse gallop he gave a 20l beating to a horse who went on to finish 2nd in that year's Champion Hurdle.

Another great horse who seems to be forgotten was the triple Champion Hurdler See You Then who also had serious tendon problems to overcome while achieving his feats.

I still remember Ken Morgan being interviewed after the champion hurdle where he came second on Classical Charm saying that Jim Dreaper would have the biggest grin after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Flat - el gran senor,dancing brave and hawkwing when he won the lockniege by 11ltns
    Jumps- buck house never got full credit as overshadowed by dawn run
    Vatour I still wonder why they didn’t go for the gc don’t tell me djakadam was a better horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Harbinger. His KG win was one of the greatest flat performances of all time. He made superstars look like handicappers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Funny that of all the RR superstars in recent years, the only one getting a few mentions here, is the dead one
    Do we remember horses perhaps, more fondly when they are retired/dead?
    I dare say was Vautour still alive and Faugheen above in heavenly pastures, could it be his name featuring here?
    For me personally I have always said Vautour was my fav horse of all time, i have lads in here sick of me on about him :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Angliru

Think that in general chasers evoke stronger emotions from people and they strike a chord with the public more. Think you'd have to be really special to be a hurdler and be absolutely adored by as many as they adore chasers of the same calibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

Hard to pick one but with a gun to my head, Hurricane Fly

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

Jumps - the enigmatic Harchibald. He made me fall in love with racing - that Christmas Hurdle win in '04 when he came from a different parish to beat Rooster Booster. The most controversial finish in Cheltenham history (its been well discussed) is a reminder to us all that we are putting cash on ANIMALS to win a race - pure madness when you think about it. He never done a tap in front which is why Carberry had to produce him late each time. But by god was he stylish over a hurdle - skipped over them.

Flat - George Washington. Oozed talent and looked as handsome a cold as you'll ever see and walked around like he owned the place. He was brilliant in the 2000 Guineas at Newmarket but really needed a concrete surface to show his class. It was a big mistake putting him in the Breeders Cup Classic TWICE, the last of which would be where me met his demise with a heartbreaking cracked fetlock that forced Aidan to call for him to be euthanized. It was a sad day for racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

Jumps - the enigmatic Harchibald. He made me fall in love with racing - that Christmas Hurdle win in '04 when he came from a different parish to beat Rooster Booster. The most controversial finish in Cheltenham history (its been well discussed) is a reminder to us all that we are putting cash on ANIMALS to win a race - pure madness when you think about it. He never done a tap in front which is why Carberry had to produce him late each time. But by god was he stylish over a hurdle - skipped over them.

Flat - George Washington. Oozed talent and looked as handsome a cold as you'll ever see and walked around like he owned the place. He was brilliant in the 2000 Guineas at Newmarket but really needed a concrete surface to show his class. It was a big mistake putting him in the Breeders Cup Classic TWICE, the last of which would be where me met his demise with a heartbreaking cracked fetlock that forced Aidan to call for him to be euthanized. It was a sad day for racing.

As a Rooster Booster fan I often watch that Christmas Hurdle, and still can’t see the grey getting caught even at the last.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jester1980

Desert Orchid for me, hes the horse that made me fall in love with raicng, his book is a great read also, i was lucky enough to see him racing at fairyhouse too.

No horse has ever come close but i did have a weird liking for a couple of strange ones

Intersky Falcon
    Grey Abbey

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

As a Rooster Booster fan I often watch that Christmas Hurdle, and still can’t see the grey getting caught even at the last.

watched it yesterday,

surely with restraint for even 1 furlong he would have won that race

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

jester1980 wrote: »
    Desert Orchid for me, hes the horse that made me fall in love with raicng, his book is a great read also, i was lucky enough to see him racing at fairyhouse too.

No horse has ever come close but i did have a weird liking for a couple of strange ones

Intersky Falcon
    Grey Abbey

Any horse that can write a book deserves respect.

Advertisement