Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did RTE ever have discussions with Freesat?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭bassy

could,nt the do a freesat card for republic of ireland that would allow viewing of rte and the irish channels only to residents of the republic,just like the freesat card the have in the uk for ch5 etc.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

So a FTA card is issued on request to eir? or BAI? or who?

It’s not really free to air at all, no matter how many times eir say it is. It’s free to view - ie still encrypted, but will clear with any active Sky viewing card with an ROI postcode.

In the days of Setanta, the viewer would call the Setanta call centre (in Kirkcaldy, Fife)and ask for a viewing card to view FTV programming and they would order one to be sent to the viewer. Although described as a “Setanta card” or “FTV Card” what was actually issued was a Sky viewing card with a Sky logo on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

icdg wrote: »
    It’s not really free to air at all, no matter how many times eir say it is. It’s free to view - ie still encrypted, but will clear with any active Sky viewing card with an ROI postcode.

In the days of Setanta, the viewer would call the Setanta call centre (in Kirkcaldy, Fife)and ask for a viewing card to view FTV programming and they would order one to be sent to the viewer. Although described as a “Setanta card” or “FTV Card” what was actually issued was a Sky viewing card with a Sky logo on it.

Yes, and that card would work in any receiver, not just the SKy boc of the time.
    I had one for a considerable time working in a Ferguson Ariva 120.

Things have changed unfortunately ..... what Setanta had was awkward as you needed a box with a card slot.
    Now you must have a Skybox I suspect, as the Sky cards must pair with a Skybox in order to function.
    (I do not have any definite info on that so hope someone who has one can try.)

sugarman wrote: »
    It was still working into the Eir takeover, it might still even now. I last signed up with Setanta but the year long sub spilled into the first year Eir took over.

You had to pop the card back into the Sky box every odd week to keep it activated or else it would unpair and not work on either receiver. If it did unpair you just had to call customer care to have it repaired in minutes.

So it did require a Skybox to pair to. Thanks.

I think it was about Oct after the eir takeover that mine stopped working in the Ariva .... not sure now ..... and I did not have a Skybox so it was useless to me from then onwards even if I knew about the SKybox 'trick'.

sugarman wrote: »
    Yeah it was a bit of a pain the arse having to hold onto the Sky Box and swapping it around. Id sometimes forget and go to watch a match to find it had unpaired on me and id have call them up. Still, it was less hassle than using the Sky Box as a FTA receiver ...and while they were still Setanta, you could get through to customer care almost instantly and have it sorted.

With Eir it became a joke of waiting 30mins or more to speak to someone and not know what to do. They'd always tell you to contact Sky, which was no use as you were'nt their customer! Now I hear youre on hold for an hour or more and still not getting hold of someone. Just look at their forum on here with the complaints!

So I wouldnt waste your time, even if it still works.

I got a pressie of an out of contract Skybox last year, and used my old 'Setanta' card to pair to it so that sorted that end.
    I then got a HDMI>DVB-T converter and fed that on the aerial coax as another channel for the tuners to find along with the Saorview channels.

So all good ..... only hassle is changing the eirsports channels from different locations in the house.

I eventually found a means of doing that through the LAN, so fairly well sorted for now. Still not anywhere near ideal, but I can live with it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It would only work if, and this is a big if, Freesat boxes were armed with a CAM slot for Irish channels all of which would have to be on a single transponder I think (not a techie but that sounds right!)
    There'd be no requirement to all be on a single transponder

Also, NDS do not all simulcrypting nor Videoguard CAMs for consumers so they'd need second feeds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭lalababa

lawred2 wrote: »
    Don't you need two different lnbs to get saorsat and Freesat/freeview?

Kinda defeats the purpose.

Don't think so...I got a freesat box that had saor in it, cheapest was bout 60euros, 20 more than cheapest freesat reciever on its own. Only had one lnb.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

lalababa wrote: »
    Don't think so...I got a freesat box that had saor in it, cheapest was bout 60euros, 20 more than cheapest freesat reciever on its own. Only had one lnb.

SaorSAT needs a different type of LNB as it is on a different frequency band to conventional satellites.

Advertisement