Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone been here to Yosemite National Park?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

We were going to go but as soon as we got the entrance an armed angry little man with red hair started shouting at us.

Avoid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Jellystone is a better place for pic-a-nic baskets

• Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I stayed 3 nights so got the 2 full days, didn’t do any major hiking but plenty of rambling about. Pretty sure it was July we were there it was busy in the main valley, don’t remember the waterfalls being disappointing so they must have had some water going over them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

The best part is the climb to the top of the falls, but July will be very hot, and quite crowded.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Pkiernan wrote: »
    The best part is the climb to the top of the falls, but July will be very hot, and quite crowded.

Would you advise hiking early in the morning, 7am say?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Yep did Bridal Veil hike and mist trail hike.Bridal veils was neh and clicky clicky. Saw a bear in Yosemite in its natural surroundings, which was fantastic. I preferred Zion, Angels landing was an experience ill never forget.

anewme wrote: »
    Yep did Bridal Veil hike and mist trail hike.Bridal veils was neh and clicky clicky. Saw a bear in Yosemite in its natural surroundings, which was fantastic. I preferred Zion, Angels landing was an experience ill never forget.

:eek:

Black bear was it? They're smaller and don't harm you I don't think?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

:eek:

Black bear was it? They're smaller and don't harm you I don't think?

They are smaller, and less aggressive but will harm you.

mloc123 wrote: »
    They are smaller, and less aggressive but will harm you.

Well I just read this:
    Visitors who encounter a bear should keep their distance for safety and respect for themselves and the animal. If visitors see a black bear in undeveloped areas, they should remain at least 50 yards from it. If they encounter a bear in developed areas, they should stand their ground and scare the bear away by raising their arms and making very loud noises. Black bears may show dominance by bluff charging, especially when guarding food or cubs. Attacks are rare, and no one has been killed or seriously injured by a black bear in Yosemite.

https://www.nps.gov/yose/learn/nature/bears.htm

I feel a bit easier. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Blazedup

Saw a baby cub there!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Its a very wet winter in California this year so it may keep the waterfalls going, but it’s hard to know as once the rain stops it will probably be dry until November.
    It’s anlively soot to visit and the Hetch Hetchy reservoir nearby is supposed to be very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

Yes. Was there in 2001.

Our group got 'advised to leave' by the Park Rangers.

Never knew why. Only thing I remember is being woken up in a tent,(after a feed of cans) & told the situation.

Some of the other lads got in trouble & I wound up loading up the jeep with all their gear, collecting them from some sort of 'prison' & driving out of there quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Yes. Was there in 2001.

Our group got 'advised to leave' by the Park Rangers.

Never knew why. Only thing I remember is being woken up in a tent,(after a feed of cans) & told the situation.

Some of the other lads got in trouble & I wound up loading up the jeep with all their gear, collecting them from some sort of 'prison' & driving out of there quickly.

Probably the feed of beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I cant tell you how fantastic it was...all of the rangers were pulled in in the side road so something was up ...it was like a scene from emergency services...no one was to get too close ..very special experience ...once in a lifetime

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭gidget

Stayed in Mariposa Lodge in Yosemite in August 2005 and did a follow up visit to Mammoth Creek (which is just down the road basically) the year after. Absolutely beautiful place to visit and would recommend it to anyone else to stick it on the bucket list of places to visit in your life.

Yosemite is pure untouched nature at it's best. Lots of Native American remnants still visible and there is a museum too, which is worth a visit. Activities if your into the extreme stuff, white water rafting is pretty huge, or a nice cycle/hike. Plenty of wildlife roaming freely too, so make sure to have the camera handy if you spot something.

Found a few pics from my view from my cabin which you can see attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Hi OP. I stayed in Curry Village for a few days during September a few years ago. The waterfalls were mostly dried up but it was still one of the best places I've been too. I really would like to go back again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭thebiglad

I stayed there in September 2 years ago - just as the fires were starting up - woke up mornings to smell of smoke but park was fully open. Week after we left the fire hit the area we stayed in very hard - was amazing to see on local news papers etc places we had visited with huge flames in view...

We stayed at Narrow Gauge Inn which was within the park but a relatively short distance to the main areas - used YART to access the park itself as parking was expected to be a pain. YART was easy to use and decent price but missed the flexibility of own transport even if parking would be a chore.

Made the stay at Narrow Gauge part of the experience - area around it was lovely and had a logging railroad right next door, hotel was very quaint - loved it - gets mixed reviews on Trip Advisor - I think people expect a Spa Resort not a hotel in Yosemite Park :p

Accommodation in the heart of the action I thought was incredibly expensive - I think there is option for camping or RV parking though.

Really enjoyed it and would recommend.

On my previous visit had done a trip up from San Francisco on organised tour - that was simply too long and would not do it that way again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Vela

Jellystone is a better place for pic-a-nic baskets

Yellowstone: Bigger (more spread out). Way more wildlife. Bears fcuking everywhere.
    Yosemite: Smaller. Very scenic but less chance of running into yogi-bear

I'd say consider Yellowstone too as it's also within reach. Plus if you do Yellowstone you can double up with Grand Teton.

Vela wrote: »
    I'd say consider Yellowstone too as it's also within reach. Plus if you do Yellowstone you can double up with Grand Teton.

I not driving (I'm only learning at the minute), but in future trips I'll do national parks with a car. Yellowstone looks way too awkward without one unless you're in guided tours (which I can't be arsed with).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

be mindful of ticks around: lyme disease is not to joke about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Every time I see the word Yosemite I still say it both ways - Yoze-Might, like I used to say it before I heard the real pronunciation, Yo - Sem- It- Tay. That was a surprise. I didn't see that one coming. :o Makes me feel extra clever now to say it the correct way.

Anyways I haven't been there but it looks nice, OP. Go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

We were there in August 2013 and did a hike up Yosemite falls opposite half dome and the waterfall was still going but it wasn't huge. Still an awesome view, well worth doing. You need to book camping spots months in advance in the park. We missed that boat and camped an hour away outside the park near mono lake. Worked out fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I've been a few times with this guy, though I see the trips are now a hundred quid more than when I did it (he was just starting up then), so obviously he's doing well, fair play to him... https://orangeskyco.com/tour/yosemite-camping-trip/
    Pricey enough, but good fun, and takes all hassle out of organisation. He only takes 4 or 5 people on a trip.

Going again this summer, but organising things myself. Be aware of how difficult it is to get a campsite. Sites within the valley go on sale months in advance - up until July 14th is already booked. Sites for the remainder of July will go on sale on March 15th and will sell out within seconds. There are options to camp just outside the valley and get a shuttle in - I've not done this; it'd be an extra hour+ every day to get into the park, and you'd miss the experience of camping in it.

You're unlikely to be disappointed whichever walk you do, though there will be less water than most of the rest of the year. You can take advantage of this to go swimming in parts of the Merced!

Ficheall wrote: »
    Be aware of how difficult it is to get a campsite. Sites within the valley go on sale months in advance - up until July 14th is already booked. Sites for the remainder of July will go on sale on March 15th and will sell out within seconds.

Not for Curry/Half Dome village, still plenty available, but its the most basic accomodation on the site:

https://www.travelyosemite.com/lodging/dining/half-dome-village/ (click check rates on the top right)

For everywhere else that's true, I wanted the majestic hotel but that's gone. :(

Yosemite lodge has gone too. There are plenty of hotels back in SF that I wanted which are also now gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Yosemite NP is about as nice a place as you could go on holidays OP.
    I haven't managed to get the Half-Dome Hike on either of my visits, it is a bit of a money racket in that they only tell you a couple of days before if you get it or not.
    Upper/Lower Yosemite Falls is a really lovely hike, spectacular views over to Half Dome.
    It is well worth spending a few days there. We loved our visits there. I'm sure a bus company will show you the highlights but if you could at all I'd hire a car and drive. There is another viewing point whose name deserts me but you can drive right up to it. I'll try find out the name. It is another wonderful view in a lovely park.
    Enjoy!

I'm sure a bus company will show you the highlights but if you could at all I'd hire a car and drive.

Only learning to drive at the moment so I'll have to make do with public transport and shuttles within the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

If you can get the bus to tuolmne meadows (stab at spelling there) it’s really nice and much quieter than the
    Main valley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Mod note: This is one is probably best discussed in the travel forum. I'll close it now and transfer it over.

Please note the change of forum and forum rules.

Buford T. Justice

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Thread cleaned-up; re-opened and moved to where it would be better suited.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭solerina

We went in July/ Aug a few years ago, a huge section of the park was on fire but it’s so big that all we saw was smoke in the distance. It was amazing, we stayed 2 nights so had three days there and we loved every minute. We stayed in the lodges, they were booked up when we originally tried to book but became available about a month before we travelled.

Advertisement