Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Ireland have a higher level of lawlessness or disregard for the law than other c

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,771 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

NIMAN wrote: »
    There is plenty of documentation to prove these folk are Irish residents.

They will be paying a mortgage, claiming child benefit for a start

None of which would contain any information on their cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,192 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

None of which would contain any information on their cars.

Eh?

If you are a permanent ROI resident you ain't allowed to drive an NI registered car. Otherwise no cars would ever have been confiscated.

But maybe we'll leave vrt behind and move on in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,771 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Eh?

If you are a ROI resident you ain't allowed to drive an NI registered car.

But maybe we'll leave vrt behind and move on in this thread.

Before we do the question is how to stop them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

No.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,192 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Before we do the question is how to stop them.

Keep confiscating the cars?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

The state needs to get its act together before hunting down young drivers and stealing their cars for driving unattended.

The waiting list in some country areas such as Kilrush and Wexford is 17 weeks while it is 6 weeks in Deansgrange in beautiful DLR. Bet the denizens of DLR would not wait for 17 weeks for a basic human right in Shane Ross' local area....

While the poor unfortunates in Kilrush must avail of the "excellent" public transport links to the jobs hotspots of Ennis, Limerick and Shannon only a few km away........

And I am a Dutchman.

17 weeks waiting for a test is way too long.

The State needs to hire and recruit more testers and shorten the waiting lists for tests as a matter of public national emergency.

Because the status of being a learner driver affects mostly under 18 year olds and is a temporary thing, there is not the same level of political cuteness, guile and ability to manipulate the political process as you find in more senior members of society. The so-called "vulnerable" old age pensioners who cause more accidents than learner drivers but cannot be touched by the law for some mysterious reason, they would not put up with waiting 17 weeks for a bloody licence.

If the Gadai Sicini (not a spelling mistake) insist on robbing cars off children then there will be a backlash like nothing else seen in this country in a long time.The test waiting times need to be shortened as quickly and as urgently as possible.

The other alternative should be a form of driving test "tourism" where people should be allowed to take tests in other more civilised countries in the EU where testers are more obliging and lists are shorter.

Unfortunately this costs more than the lost earnings in waiting for the test in Ireland and is only available to the very few.

I can only speculate that test services are not available in other countries to non residents of a particular country or the wily Irish would be crowding into that country to do their wretched driving tests.

17 weeks is way too long.

Can anybody find out how Ireland compares to other EU countries regarding test waiting times???

I have tried to google this online and it keeps referring to Irish waiting times.

I'd love to find out how other European countries compare.

I am aware that people travel to get health and dental procedures carried out and buy medicines in cheaper countries. Could a similar mechanism apply to driving tests??? Package it up as a weekend away. I bet many young people would jump at the chance in order to legally get mobile and secure that badly needed job.

My instinct is that, like car insurance and mortgages, this is a closed shop.

No Irish need apply.

Could any continentals let me know, can you do a test in one EU nation and transfer the licence to another nation without onerous, long-term residence restrictions?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Yes, from the scourge of travellers to the general ignoring of most road rules to the petty theft being a fact of life. Can't leave your car unlock or leave a decent bike locked to a stand and expect it to be there when you get back.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Ireland has a rebellious nature in general I think. People don't like to follow the rules. But it's fairly minor stuff. All in all I'd say we're about average in the developed world.

As for the claims culture though, it's a oft trotted out line that we are overly litigious but rarely backed up with any hard facts vs other jurisdictions.

We only have a low brow rebelousness, we are pretty conformist overall, rebelling against a " no littering" sign isn't much of an ideology

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Ireland has a rebellious nature in general I think. People don't like to follow the rules. But it's fairly minor stuff. All in all I'd say we're about average in the developed world.

As for the claims culture though, it's a oft trotted out line that we are overly litigious but rarely backed up with any hard facts vs other jurisdictions.

When you consider that the vast majority of injury claims are for whiplash which cant actually be proven and that France doesn't even recognise whiplash as an injury then I'd say we're well above the EU average for claims.

I also note from several UK based car forums that here we look to attribute blame immediately and are very quick to run to a solicitor whereas in the UK most people involved in collisions rarely attribute blame and their primary concern is to get their car fixed with as little cost to them as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

It think its time for that great irish solution to an irish problem, and just clear the backlog by issuing full licences to everyone on the waiting list. We can start from scratch then with a clear run at the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

...irish solution to an irish problem, .

Best kind, seeing as it's where we live.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

I would say considering the complete absence of a police presence on the street the Irish are very law abiding.
    I was in France recently on a train. It stopped at a station. Six armed police officers got on-board and checked everyone's passport or I.d.card.
    No messing there

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Italians are fairly lawless when it suits them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

It varies from area to area if you ask me.
    Donegal would definitely be a 10 on the 'wild west' scale (if there was such a thing).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

There's certainly little things that are a nuisance that are not only tolerated, but that you can't even mention without someone saying "do you not have anything else to be worrying about" or called a 'begrudger' or some shite.

For instance there's a forest park in Carlow with a small path to walk through. There's just barely enough room for two people to walk on this path and there's a sign at the entrance that clearly says "no bicycles please". However there's often loads of fucking idiots cycling at full speed right in the middle of this path. I made a thread about this on the Carlow forum years ago and pretty much every response was telling me I was the bad guy for not wanting some fucking gobshite hurtling into me at top speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

What about dog owners?
    A significant proportion let their dogs sh!t in public places. They also let their dogs loose in public areas where there are Local Authority signage banning this practice.

Shur, what's the harm is the attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

When you consider that the vast majority of injury claims are for whiplash which cant actually be proven and that France doesn't even recognise whiplash as an injury then I'd say we're well above the EU average for claims.

I also note from several UK based car forums that here we look to attribute blame immediately and are very quick to run to a solicitor whereas in the UK most people involved in collisions rarely attribute blame and their primary concern is to get their car fixed with as little cost to them as possible.

My evidence is equally as anecdotal but as I say I'm yet to see someone produce some sort of claim per capita statistic that can be verified.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

My evidence is equally as anecdotal but as I say I'm yet to see someone produce some sort of claim per capita statistic that can be verified.
    you dont even need stats for this look at the payouts 50-100k is the norm nowadays. not to mention most stupidest claims wasnt there a thread just recently from someone having made 20 successful claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

scamalert wrote: »
    you dont even need stats for this look at the payouts 50-100k is the norm nowadays. not to mention most stupidest claims wasnt there a thread just recently from someone having made 20 successful claims.

Yeah as I've indicated, I'm not buying it without stats to back it up, which shouldn't be too hard if we're the basket case people seem to suggest. As with most things I expect the reality is we're middle of the road, better than some, worse than others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

So are we worse than other nations?

We should concentrate on ourselves rather than comparisons with other countries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Its a combination of 2 things.
    1. The Irish "Tell me I can't or shouldn't and I'll show you", I mean just look at the attitude to driving/cycling behaviour on our roads. Red = 2 more cars, pedestrian light = don't tell a cyclist he can't cycle through when people are crossing.
    2. Entitlement. People who go live in a remote area, then complain about how the law is preventing their children getting to work/college/etc. Well if you want public transport, go live in a town or city. Don't go live in a rural part, knowing full well your children will need to be driven around the place, and then whinge about a lack of facilities. Just like broadband. You would think broadband was a human right the way people go on. If you want fibre, go live in a town, don't move to bally go backwards and then complain about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Its a combination of 2 things.
    1. The Irish "Tell me I can't or shouldn't and I'll show you", I mean just look at the attitude to driving/cycling behaviour on our roads. Red = 2 more cars, pedestrian light = don't tell a cyclist he can't cycle through when people are crossing.
    2. Entitlement. People who go live in a remote area, then complain about how the law is preventing their children getting to work/college/etc. Well if you want public transport, go live in a town or city. Don't go live in a rural part, knowing full well your children will need to be driven around the place, and then whinge about a lack of facilities. Just like broadband. You would think broadband was a human right the way people go on. If you want fibre, go live in a town, don't move to bally go backwards and then complain about it.

Agree with your first point.
    BUT

Why the hell shouldn't be a great broadband for everyone or a level of facilities. I suppose all in the country should be happy with fire and a cave to live. Those damn rural people wanting stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

I don't want to take the thread off topic, but my point was that people live/move to a rural part and then complain about laws, facilities, etc which people knew full well were there before they ever decided to live there.
    When the laws regarding provisional license driving is enforced, like it is some form of attack on rural people. Sure why don't we let 10 year olds drive themselves to school if that is the case?
    It is a disgrace that any parent would let a 17 year old out in charge of a car knowing full well that they could kill somebody, let alone the fact that they are uninsured.
    And try telling Mr Clancy that it is unfair that somebody on a provisional license should be allowed drive. It is all fine and dandy until people are killed.

Advertisement