Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving licence - absolute farce of a system and 83,000 waiting

Options
123457»

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 1,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭MascotDec85

Even when that's exactly what it said. "As you have failed two tests in the past x number of weeks, there is a waiting period of 21 days before you can sit a third test. You will be allocated a test date after this."
    Fair enough but strange they apply it like that when the rule, albeit one that can be bypassed, exists anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I have a dream that one day OP will return after dumping their rant on this site and flying off into the night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

biko wrote: »
    I have a dream that one day OP will return after dumping their rant on this site and flying off into the night

A one night wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭zepman

It is something that would be a good idea though. Yes, I think it is a given that any driver can read the tick boxes on a sheet. But it is very hard to know where those faults were incurred, especially if they are grade 2 faults where it mightn't be as obvious as a single grade 3. I think a quick debrief would be a good idea. "Sorry, but today I can't give you a pass, there were a number of faults when turning, one example would be when turning off x road on to y"... would be rather good. But on the other hand I can see why there would be some reluctance. I have heard of some very angry people after being told they've failed, and that is something that is difficult to deal with, and arguing is something no one wants in a job.

Make no mistake the system is not perfect. The test doesn't cover anywhere near enough, the waiting lists are too long (for lots of reasons), and only in recent times have the government began to actually apply the law with regard to learner drivers. Making those with learner permits now bitter about the way things were before. It's not surprising tbh.

EDIT: Just thinking about my one and only test which I passed, my examiner did actually do a bit of a debrief. "Well, you have passed your test but there are some areas that need a bit of work....", of course I don't remember anything about what he said given the excitement but it was a nice thing to say!

Yeah. I received feedback from the examiner after my first test which I had failed. This was back in 2013. I also received feedback after my second attempt which I passed, just 2 days ago.
    The driving instructor can only go over it to an extent, they aren't on the test itself, i've only ever heard of it being done once and that was at the RSA's discretion.

Actually, when I was in the waiting room for my recent test, every tester was asking the candidate (just after the initial greeting) if they would like their instructor to be present during the feedback session after the test. I said no when my tester asked me, as I wasn't with my instructor but with a friend (my sponsor) who had wandered away after I walked into the waiting room. But there were many whose instructors stuck around outside near the car park, so they did say yes.

Although there may not be a discussion or details of every single fault incurred, I do think that the presence of the instructor who already knows the candidate's weak points would make the feedback session more fruitful.

zepman wrote: »
    Yeah. I received feedback from the examiner after my first test which I had failed. This was back in 2013. I also received feedback after my second attempt which I passed, just 2 days ago.

Actually, when I was in the waiting room for my recent test, every tester was asking the candidate (just after the initial greeting) if they would like their instructor to be present during the feedback session after the test. I said no when my tester asked me, as I wasn't with my instructor but with a friend (my sponsor) who had wandered away after I walked into the waiting room. But there were many whose instructors stuck around outside near the car park, so they did say yes.

Although there may not be a discussion or details of every single fault incurred, I do think that the presence of the instructor who already knows the candidate's weak points would make the feedback session more fruitful.

Extract from an email from the RSA to ADIs:

“Pilot Scheme for the introduction of ADI’s to sit in on the verbal feedback session of the Driving Test April 2019.

Dear ADI,
    The RSA are introducing a scheme where you the ADI will have the facility to sit in on the verbal feedback session of the driving test with their applicant. This will be introduced on a pilot basis with a view to assessing the feasibility of a national roll out.
    The pilot will operate in the following centres:
    Finglas, Tallaght, Cork and Galway from the 1/4/19 to 12/4/19.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

Just need to put this out there as its been bugging me for sometime.
    You have a 60% failure rate against you before you even put a foot in the door in Finglas and most of Dublin – 2018 stats.
    On the other hand, down the country, where most of the tragedies are happening, you have approx 60% pass rate.
    You are failed on outlandish things like not looking over your shoulder once or twice extra. Reversing around the corner (perfectly) doesn’t seem to count if you don’t check your shoulders enough. Hitting the brakes too quickly when someone stops suddenly is apparently a fail also.
    In my first test, in Finglas, I was told I handled the car very well, that there was nothing wrong with my driving, but still failed.
    Second time, I had a horrible human terminator, who made me very nervous and had me failed before even looking at me.
    I am so stressed and p+*sed of with the system in this country. You can’t even repeat your test before waiting another 3 mths for a cancellation or 6 months, you’ve to go through the whole long withdrawn system again, they’ll squeeze every penny out of you, and then fail you.
    I have little confidence and faith left.
    Minister Ross is an absolute sham of a minister, he put’s all the onus back on the public to sort out his mess that he hasn’t the aptitude to fix.
    So hey, lets bring in the Clancy amendment and seize ALL their cars, but lets not look at the crux of the problem - Deliberately low pass rates, archaic passing system, back log of 6 months, 83,000 people waiting to sit their sits, accident blackspots with high pass rates, I could go on and on. And not to mention the nice little pot of money he’s putting back into the coffers of the country. SHAM – IT’S BROKEN MINISTER ROSS – BROKEN.

Do it in Naas then.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭zepman

Extract from an email from the RSA to ADIs:

“Pilot Scheme for the introduction of ADI’s to sit in on the verbal feedback session of the Driving Test April 2019.

Dear ADI,
    The RSA are introducing a scheme where you the ADI will have the facility to sit in on the verbal feedback session of the driving test with their applicant. This will be introduced on a pilot basis with a view to assessing the feasibility of a national roll out.
    The pilot will operate in the following centres:
    Finglas, Tallaght, Cork and Galway from the 1/4/19 to 12/4/19.”

Ah, mine was in Finglas. So they wouldn't have let my sponsor in anyway, which makes sense.

zepman wrote: »
    Ah, mine was in Finglas. So they wouldn't have let my sponsor in anyway, which makes sense.

ONLY driving instructors can attend and they have to show their ADI badge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

ONLY driving instructors can attend and they have to show their ADI badge

The laminated photo I.D card or is there something else more compact that's the size of a credit card?

The laminated photo I.D card or is there something else more compact that's the size of a credit card?

Credit card sized. The big awful sized one is for the car

• Advertisement
Advertisement