Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today is Spring

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

It is indeed a great Spring so far. Lovely day today anyway, and forecast is the same for a few days to come too.

But do NOT get too complacent. Get yer sliced pans in, the snow arrived in March last year. I'm sure you all remember that.

But hopefully we will escape this year with a bit of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

mikemac2 wrote: »
    February 1st is the first day of spring. Going to the river the night before to get rushes and making crosses for St Bridgets Day

Not in most of the northern hemisphere. It's still winter until March for most.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭rgossip30

Odhinn wrote: »
    I will, and I'll close the big dribbly gob on him for good.

With a keyboard punch yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Really, how come COVID cases began rising in August? It becomes noticably colder around mid August.

Even in early August you can see leaves beginning to change colour.

You dug up a 2 year old thread to tie seasons and a global pandemic together ? Well done ;)

You can collect your internet prize from the door on the way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,751 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

We could be in for another Spring phenomenon, a revisitation by the Beast from the East.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭COVID

If I ruled the world, every day would be the first day of Spring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

COVID wrote: »

You might just rule the world soon if you keep spreading like this Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I think it's the first of February

I remember during the Beast from the East and Storm Katrina I think that everything shut down for a day. I was in a hotel in Galway when the storm hit and the kitchen closed early so it was a bit "what do we do now". The girl in the pharmacy across the road wouldn't let me in because she had to get home.
    Then with the Beast the local shops closed and even.........the pubs!!!!!!

I was beside myself with it all because I couldn't fathom life shutting down. Huh. Now look.

Can you feck off please :(

:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

St. Patrick's day 17th March is first day of spring.

21 sep is end of summer.

Everyday between 21 sep and 17 March is as bad as each other. I can see why death rate is high in September, Oct and nov. I'm leaving some year on 21 Sept.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭COVID

Can you feck off please :(

:p

If I ruled the world
    Every day would be
    The first day of Spring
    Every heart would have
    A new song to sing
    And we'd sing of the joy
    Every morning would bring

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I wonder what Punxutawney Phil will have in store for us this year. Probably succumb to covid before he can make any predictions

• Site Banned Posts: 10 Chipotle

About 5 weeks left until Spring, not too long now, days are getting longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

murpho999 wrote: »
    March for me as I refuse to accept August, one of the warmest months of the year and peak summer holiday season as Autumn.

Seasons overlap anyway as seen with heavy snow in March last year.

Seasons have NOTHING to do with temperature and this has been done to fcuking death.

They have to do with the length of day/night.

December is mid winter and June is mid-summer.

March is mid-spring and September is mid-Autumn.

• Site Banned Posts: 10 Chipotle

Also it's interesting that Covid numbers began to increase substantially in August.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,440 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Seasons have NOTHING to do with temperature and this has been done to fcuking death.

They have to do with the length of day/night.

December is mid winter and June is mid-summer.

March is mid-spring and September is mid-Autumn.

You need to look it up again.

Seasons are related to changes in weather and daylight hours.
    A season is a period of the year that is distinguished by special climate conditions. The four seasons—spring, summer, fall, and winter—follow one another regularly. Each has its own light, temperature, and weather patterns that repeat yearly.

Definition above is from National Geographic.

Wikipedia definition also includes weather as part of a season.Link

Encyclopaedia Britannica also mention temperature as part of a season as well as light.

So temperature, weather and light are part of seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Chipotle wrote: »
    About 5 weeks left until Spring, not too long now, days are getting longer.

Tell me that when Jonny sextone can’t see the wood for the posts on the last day of the six nations

They advertised it in blizzard of snow in November. But how wrong they were

I agree with the OP in general.

Im willling to see May to August as Summer in Ireland. Can get a good summer's day out of any of them. Nights closing in at the end but still acceptable - can be out kicking a ball about around 9pm most of that time. Less so the end of August, but I am sticking to months rather than mid months.

November to Feb is all winter to me. 2 weeks after the hour goes back in November the sunset is 4:30, same as early Jan. The average high in Dublin in November is 10, 9 in December, and 8 in Jan and Feb. Those differences are easily exceeded by any daily changes. We just can't tell. Snow is less likely in November but it happens.

Winter November-Feb
    Short Spring - March April
    Summer - May to August
    Short Autumn - September to October

That reflects the Irish climate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Cerveza

Very warm moist this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Cerveza wrote: »
    Very warm moist this morning.

Get yer hands out of your pants

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

I agree with the OP in general.

Im willling to see May to August as Summer in Ireland. Can get a good summer's day out of any of them. Nights closing in at the end but still acceptable - can be out kicking a ball about around 9pm most of that time. Less so the end of August, but I am sticking to months rather than mid months.

November to Feb is all winter to me. 2 weeks after the hour goes back in November the sunset is 4:30, same as early Jan. The average high in Dublin in November is 10, 9 in December, and 8 in Jan and Feb. Those differences are easily exceeded by any daily changes. We just can't tell. Snow is less likely in November but it happens.

Winter November-Feb
    Short Spring - March April
    Summer - May to August
    Short Autumn - September to October

That reflects the Irish climate

id put winter as starting around mid October. The end of October is very grim and more like winter than September.

And spring doesnt start till about mid march. we have had snow in early March before.

Advertisement