Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this poisonous spider ? False Black Widow in Ireland

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Ive just been through hell with a bite from one of these. I was redoing the decking-changing the planks for new ones and 8 weeks ago I noticed a red dot for all its worth on my leg. 2 days later I ended up in a+e with a hole the size of a 2 euro coin in my leg that wasn't healing.
    Antibiotics and steroids for a week but still nothing but it started spreading down my leg--you could see a red line travelling down my leg through a blood vessel where a second red dot started to form.
    Then that one started basically rotting away and I ended up with a second hole in my leg.
    4 courses of antibiotics later and 2 courses of steroids and its finally healed but Im left with 2 scars on my leg from the bite.
    It was 100% a false widow as I found loads of them under the old decking planks when I was cutting them up for the skip.
    I have pictures saved somewhere (I changed phones and theyre in a backup somewhere) and Ill post them when I find them but theyre not for the squeamish.
    Doctor reckons that some people are more affected by the venom than others and Im one of the unlucky ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭worded

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Ive just been through hell with a bite from one of these. I was redoing the decking-changing the planks for new ones and 8 weeks ago I noticed a red dot for all its worth on my leg. 2 days later I ended up in a+e with a hole the size of a 2 euro coin in my leg that wasn't healing.
    Antibiotics and steroids for a week but still nothing but it started spreading down my leg--you could see a red line travelling down my leg through a blood vessel where a second red dot started to form.
    Then that one started basically rotting away and I ended up with a second hole in my leg.
    4 courses of antibiotics later and 2 courses of steroids and its finally healed but Im left with 2 scars on my leg from the bite.
    It was 100% a false widow as I found loads of them under the old decking planks when I was cutting them up for the skip.
    I have pictures saved somewhere (I changed phones and theyre in a backup somewhere) and Ill post them when I find them but theyre not for the squeamish.
    Doctor reckons that some people are more affected by the venom than others and Im one of the unlucky ones.

Pleas post pics, that’s a vicious outcome

I normally wouldn’t hurt a fly, but wil stomp on every one of these I see in future but would like to be able to distinguish the black widows from the “good” native spiders ....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭worded

worded wrote: »
    Update - diff spider

Is this a false widow?

According to this they have a bulbous abdomen and the latest pic I posted doesn’t have that

Mental note - bulbous body.... squash / burn / drown in alcohol etc

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/9-common-spiders-found-around-4204855.amp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭katiek102010

Got a bite of a ****er when we lived in UK. It was in our sons trampoline and I put my hand on it.

Hand swelled up and got a course of antibiotics from doc. Feels like a wasp sting. Can still see the fang scars in my hand. I'll try and upload a pic

My cousin has them in her shed. Never got bitten

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭katiek102010

By the way in the 1st pic I think it's a orb weave

False widow tend to look more beatle type. Their front legs are more in front of their head and look like beetle horns.

They are in Ireland though. I have attached pics of them

• Advertisement
Advertisement