Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cherry Blossom Trees cut down outside of Tower Hotel

Options
  • 11-02-2019 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Does anyone have any information on why the lovely mature cherry blossom trees outside of the Tower Hotel were cut down?

They had been there for decades. We basically have hardly any mature trees left in the city centre, with the one at the Apple Market also taken out. I have also heard many of the trees on the quay will be taken out to clear the middle lane for traffic. Its a shame when needed for construction work, but I can understand it. But cannot see the reasoning for cutting down the trees on the footpath outside of the Tower.

Many other European cities have large trees in the cities, I dont know why we seem to take them out.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

You can correct the title yourself if you are on a desktop browser - double click the title on the front page and it'll open for editing.

As for the taking the trees down, its' always sad to see but presumably there's a reason and possibly not an obvious one.

There really needs to be a major planting scheme for the centre - esp Ballybricken. Mind you whether they'd live long enough to mature is open to question.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

I'd nearly be 100% sure they cut the trees down due to having a multi million euro facelift. The whole front of the hotel used to be blocked by the trees. And if you were staying in the hotel and got a room at the front all you would see is trees 10 foot from the windows instead of the views of the river, Reginalds Tower, the plaza etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭ImAHappyCamper

I'm sure I saw the same question asked on the towers Facebook or Instagram page and they replied that it was the council's decision and not theirs. The trees will be replanted further down the quays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

]You can correct the title yourself if you are on a desktop browser - double click the title on the front page and it'll open for editing.

As for the taking the trees down, its' always sad to see but presumably there's a reason and possibly not an obvious one.

There really needs to be a major planting scheme for the centre - esp Ballybricken. Mind you whether they'd live long enough to mature is open to question.

Thanks for that! Thread title corrected.

Agreed there needs to a level of forward thinking when selecting where and what types of trees to plant. Seems like any time a tree is mature it is cut down for one reason or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

]I'm sure I saw the same question asked on the towers Facebook or Instagram page and they replied that it was the council's decision and not theirs. The trees will be replanted further down the quays.

That is interesting, although I find it hard to believe the Tower has no say whatsoever in the trees being cut down instead maintained and thinned out.

What I don't understand is how other cities, the like of Amsterdam, Toronto , Boston that can have beautiful large mature trees in and around their city centres.

It seems in Ireland we dont know how to maintain trees to this level and as soon as they get over a certain hight they are cut down, or roots are causing issues with pavements or pipes.

I am not a tree surgeon myself but , there must be a way if other more densely occupied cities can do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

Breda Brennan enquired about the trees And got this reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

That's perfectly fair and yes planting the wrong type of tree for a location is common enough even if they do look very attractive when blossoming - which is probably why the Cherry trees were there in the first place.

Advertisement