Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chernobyl - HBO/Sky *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭El Duda

I think this is one of the greatest TV shows ever made

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Excellent tv.

It's obviously a grim watch, but as well as being highly informative about a horrific piece of recent history, it was inspirational; the bravery of those involved in the damage-control aspects was awe-inspiring. The pared back story-telling was highly effective in communicating the radiation-based terror, as well as the rotten political system that allowed it to happen in the first place.

An important piece of recent history expertly brought to life.

El Duda wrote: »
    I think this is one of the greatest TV shows ever made

The characters were very 2 dimensional..the acting was poor..the accents were atrocious..the last courtroom scene was just painful..
    The whole thing was just, I dunno.. not particularly well done..

People calling this the best TV ever I dunno, must not have seen too much TV..it was alright.. nothing spectacular..grim, but, like, lots of stuff is grim..

The whole new trend of the film makers explaining it to the idiots after each episode is pure depressing too..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

the accents were atrocious..

:confused: They spoke in their own accents.

the accents were atrocious..

:confused: They spoke in their own accents.

Did they?..was that weird looking Irish lad not putting on a sort of mid Atlantic accent..

Is a pseudo Ukrainian too much to expect?..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Did they?..was that weird looking Irish lad not putting on a sort of mid Atlantic accent..

I thought it was a much better decision to let them just act with their normal accents rather than putting on some stupid cod-Russian accent and ruining the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

As a non-fictional account, the "natural" accents came across as a more "natural" fit (though why it wasn't across the board I don't know).

Anyway..it was very 2 dimensional..
    I'm starting to think that now that so much can be done with effects and a soundtrack etc, that the art of drama is being lost..

Like, why did everyone think this was the best television show ever?.. because metacritic told them as much after two bloody episodes?.. just as GOT had taken an absolute nose dive?..

Anyway, yeah, it was ok..6/10..

• Registered Users Posts: 27,053 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Anyway..it was very 2 dimensional..
    I'm starting to think that now that so much can be done with effects and a soundtrack etc, that the art of drama is being lost..

Like, why did everyone think this was the best television show ever?.. because metacritic told them as much after two bloody episodes?.. just as GOT had taken an absolute nose dive?..

Anyway, yeah, it was ok..6/10..

The art of drama is being lost?

Did you watch them attempting to clear the roof in 90 seconds?
    Or perhaps the courtroom scene

Not sure what else you were expecting to be honest...thankfully it wasn't a Michael Bay explosa-fest

I wonder if this wasn't based in reality, would I loved it as much

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

But in reality they didn't speak English anyway.

Yeah people couldn't have thought for themselves - only what Metacritic said.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭Acosta

Watched all of it last night. Really excellent stuff. Jared Harris should win all the awards.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

They tried it but found, as many film and TV productions do, that people act the accent rather than the material, so it was natural accents. Only Meryl Streep can do both!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Am I the only one who thought that this was totally overhyped?..

Meh, just ended up being generic enough drama with some questionable acting at times?..

Meh, I'd have given it maybe 6/10..

Definitely nothing spectacular anyway..
    Hype tends to bother us when we've adopted a particular position to something. Sounds like you were gunning for it from the start. It is TV, but very well-made TV and some liberties were taken with the narrative. It tells a story, that many people would have heard of, but were not aware of how it all evolved. It does tell that story exceptionally well. Is it the best TV show ever? Probably not. Is it compelling, horrific, gripping, well-done and a TV programme people should watch? Yes, absolutely but we have free choice.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Hype tends to bother us when we've adopted a particular position to something. Sounds like you were gunning for it from the start.

No..I wasn't gunning for it..I wasn't particularly bothered by the hype..I was expecting it to be good..

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

No..I wasn't gunning for it..I wasn't particularly bothered by the hype..I was expecting it to be good..

Nearly everybody enjoyed it. All credit to individual taste however.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

It's definitely down to personal taste. At the moment it is definitely my show of the year.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Only watched the first episode and just that premiere alone should be used as a perfect model of how to convey an environmental threat. It was arguably a bitesize Horror Movie, such was its effective portrayal of escalating calamity.

Most watching will know Chernobyl by repute if not detail, so that helped sidestep much of the narrative heavy lifting, but the episode was a masterclass in a creeping dread where breathing the air itself could be a death sentence. Lingering shots of dust as threatening as any "normal" horror monster. No doubt future episodes will continue that, but for now, I'm very impressed. And on the edge of my seat.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Your initial criticisms were quite vague, you later effectively threw in a bit of a dig at those who did enjoy it. Most of us here have watched 20+ years of TV of the so called golden era (same for you, I'm imagine) and take not one ounce of notice of meta critic websites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Your initial criticisms were quite vague, you later effectively threw in a bit of a dig at those who did enjoy it. Most of us here have watched 20+ years of TV of the so called golden era (same for you, I'm imagine) and take not one ounce of notice of meta critic websites.

I’m almost 42, I don’t even know what meta critic websites are. I thought it was superb TV.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,037 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I’m almost 42, I don’t even know what meta critic websites are. I thought it was superb TV.

And here's your brother...

Best thing I've seen on TV in years

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Did ya see that explosion that happened in Russia last Monday?

Seeing headlines like:

Russian nuclear agency confirms role in rocket test explosion
    Rosatom says five staff died in accident that caused radiation levels to spike in Arkhangelsk
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/aug/10/russian-nuclear-agency-confirms-role-in-rocket-test-explosion

Over on youtube:
    John Tompazidis
    4 days ago
    From the moment of the blast at 0:02 till it's audible, 38 seconds pass. Knowing the speed of sound is 343 m/s we calculate that the explosion originated 13 kilometers away (13034 meters) from the camera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Slydice wrote: »

Seeing headlines like:

Rosatom says five staff died in accident that caused radiation levels to spike in Arkhangelsk
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/aug/10/russian-nuclear-agency-confirms-role-in-rocket-test-explosion

Over on youtube:

Wtf??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Cordell

And, surprisingly, they initially denied that the explosion involved anything nuclear or radioactive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

The CIA up to no good again, I see. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Cordell

Well, it's a missile, it's supposed to explode anyway - ideally as far as possible from the launch site...

New podcast out

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Slydice wrote: »

Seeing headlines like:

Over on youtube:

your mixing up two different events

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

i was going to the closest related thread!

Advertisement