Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a bike garage

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

dec_82 wrote: »
    What made you go with shanette over say steeltech, adman or C&S? Purely cost, or overall feature set ?

Over all features, including customer service but I'm starting to regret the whole purchase. I'm hoping to be proven wrong .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

D3V!L wrote:
    Over all features, including customer service but I'm starting to regret the whole purchase. I'm hoping to be proven wrong .

For what reasons?

Simona1986 wrote: »
    For what reasons?

Constant delays and other issues I'll update on soon. Its costing me €10K and the way I was treated so far you'd swear they were doing me a favour supplying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

D3V!L wrote: »
    Constant delays and other issues I'll update on soon. Its costing me €10K and the way I was treated so far you'd swear they were doing me a favour supplying it.

As someone in the construction sector, I can sympathise. And, while nothing defends poor performance, quite often there is a valid reason, but poor communication as to why it is so would go a long way to keeping customers happy.

Margins in construction are very tight ( I know, I know - I can hear the :rolleyes: from here, lolz ) and, everyone wants their stuff now whilst the sun shines. It's the nature of building. But there's only so many hours in a day/week/month.

And I've had it the other way around: inside the last fortnight we turned up - with an entire house btw - to a site that was supposed to be ready, and they hadn't poured the foundation at all yet. So I have to 'park' it for another 6 weeks at least...........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭blade1

A neighbour of mine got a Shanette one a few weeks ago.
    Some size, he can put his lorry inside it.

IMG-20190430-072133.jpg

• Advertisement

blade1 wrote: »
    A neighbour of mine got a Shanette one a few weeks ago.
    Some size, he can put his lorry inside it.

IMG-20190430-072133.jpg

I dont suppose you know how long it took from when he ordered it ?

No, but if I see him I'll say it him.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 dec_82

How are things moving along? It's come down to shanette or steeltech for me aswell. Shanettes sizes dont exactly match what I'm after but I still more drawn to them than steeltech. Seemed to have better doors etc. But if they are bad to deal with I might think again :)

I'm only after a 10 by 7/8 foot, to fit two bikes, keep out condensation and have a solid door.

No, but if I see him I'll say it him.

Met him this morning.
    He is not a happy bunny with it.
    He didn't go into the finer details but it took 3 years from when he started trying to get someone to do it.
    It's for his collection of cars and he said it is dripping inside it.
    He said nothing went right with it.
    He was on a bit of a rant but basically he was saying the non drip wasn't thick enough and the worst area was the roller door.

I've the same problem myself, that's why I bought an Air Chamber for the bikes.

Met him this morning.
    He didn't go into the finer details but it took 3 years from when he started trying to get someone to do it.
    He was on a bit of a rant but basically he was saying the non drip wasn't thick enough and the worst area was the roller door.

I've the same problem myself, that's why I bought an Air Chamber got the bikes.

We went for a solid multipoint locking door instead. They're insulated and seemingly the roller type aren't.

So far, not so good. The base contractor has only taken away his skip after 3 weeks of it sitting in my driveway.

• Advertisement

Met him this morning.

I've the same problem myself, that's why I bought an Air Chamber for the bikes.
    1. A metal shed is going to drip. It'll be warm on one side, cold on the other at some point, and the metal is the condensation point. The ideal condensation point even. Unless you buy a proper double-skinned insulated panel, its going to happen.
    2. Doors. Imho roller doors are for agricultural use, and I don't just mean GS's... ;) .... the only door is a composite sectional door. Same thinking as the roof and wall panels: you ahve to eliminate the condensation point, and besides, roller doors are draughty. A sectional is not.

Mine:

480231.png

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

We went for a solid multipoint locking door instead. They're insulated and seemingly the roller type aren't.

So far, not so good. The base contractor has only taken away his skip after 3 weeks of it sitting in my driveway.

Did you get the job finished in the end? I'm ready to get my shed now so wanted to see how the shanette build went.

I've been told its a 9 week lead time at hte moment. I haven't ordered anything yet, doing a final look around. I only need an 8ft x 10ft

Did you get the job finished in the end? I'm ready to get my shed now so wanted to see how the shanette build went.

I've been told its a 9 week lead time at hte moment. I haven't ordered anything yet, doing a final look around. I only need an 8ft x 10ft

Sorry for not updating the thread sooner. Yes, it was completed. They messed up and didn't put in the correct door saddling for the door so they had to come back and complete it.

Overall the shed is exactly what we wanted , its an excellent product but the company are awful to deal with. I had to withhold the remainder of the cost until the job was done properly.

Oh and dont use one of their base contractors, they're useless. The base that was built for us barely fit the shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭sombaht

Galwaytt,
    Do you mind me asking who supplied that and what are the dimensions?

Cheers,
    sombaht

Sorry for not updating the thread sooner. Yes, it was completed. They messed up and didn't put in the correct door saddling for the door so they had to come back and complete it.

Overall the shed is exactly what we wanted , its an excellent product but the company are awful to deal with. I had to withhold the remainder of the cost until the job was done properly.

Oh and dont use one of their base contractors, they're useless. The base that was built for us barely fit the shed.

Thanks for the update. Was it the Dublin location you were dealing with ?

Thanks for the update. Was it the Dublin location you were dealing with ?

Yes and their head office. I felt like they were doing me a favour by building it.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭fatbast

Got a 20' x 10' wooden shed recently from Mcd sheds. Painless job done in 4 hours . metal roof Scandinavian timber good quality floor . Double door. No condensation issues. Cost about 2700 euro.

Pic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭sonic85

fatbast wrote: »
    Pic

That a cracking looking shed. What are the walls lined with do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭Mech1

sonic85 wrote: »

Your actually looking at the shed?:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Pic
    Reckon i ridden that particular Ulysses. Fun bike to ride, how much she going for?

It's a non drip membrane apparently... no moisture in the shed so far

H_Lime wrote: »
    Reckon i ridden that particular Ulysses. Fun bike to ride, how much she going for?

Nice agile bike just had full service.
    3500 would buy it!

Nice agile bike just had full service too.
    3500 buys it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Nice agile bike just had full service too.
    3500 buys it.

What extras has she?

What extras has she?

Pretty standard bike has aftermarket exhaust and power module. ..new tyres fitted. Original handbook and toolkit. Both keys. Taxed. New belt new sprocket.

It's a non drip membrane apparently... no moisture in the shed so far

Nice. I'm attempting to make my own shed at the minute but the condensation thing is playing on my mind a bit. Was either going to use insulated cladding or just ordinary sheets and try insulate it myself later. The membrane might be a good way of minimising condensation and cost effective at the same time!

Nice. I'm attempting to make my own shed at the minute but the condensation thing is playing on my mind a bit. Was either going to use insulated cladding or just ordinary sheets and try insulate it myself later. The membrane might be a good way of minimising condensation and cost effective at the same time!

Having a non-drip membrane doesn't cure condensation : it just keeps the condensation to the other side of the membrane. The fundamental dew point issue remains.

The only way to address that is to thermally isolate the interior from the exterior. Cavity systems or composite panels are the way to do this. But sticking a metal roof on it brings it back. The roof has to be thermally isolating in the same way.

Ode To The Motorist

galwaytt wrote: »
    Having a non-drip membrane doesn't cure condensation : it just keeps the condensation to the other side of the membrane. The fundamental dew point issue remains.

The only way to address that is to thermally isolate the interior from the exterior. Cavity systems or composite panels are the way to do this. But sticking a metal roof on it brings it back. The roof has to be thermally isolating in the same way.

Ah right that's good to know. I'll try stick up a pic later just to give an idea of what I'm trying to do.

• Advertisement

d3j8fBfl.jpg

so that's what I have done so far. im kind of winging it now though!

Advertisement