Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk X: The Long Hard Road to a Semi. MOD WARNING POSTS #1, #1474, #5707

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Happy with that selection overall, although I’d rather see Marmion start. But at the end of the day, unless they all show a lot more urgency then I’m not sure it matters. I wonder if Killer will still be ahead of McGrath. Bench should be something like:

Scannell, Killer, Ryan, Roux, Murphy, Marmion, Carty, Larmour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

If he had no interest in Byrne he wouldn’t be in the squad. Fairly straight forward really.

Dunno where this binary concept came from. He doesn’t just “have interest” in some players and then “have no interest” in others? It might be easier to think of things that way, maybe.

Let me put it a different way, in a way that you might find easier to get.

I don't think Joe has any interest in Caolin Blade, yet there he was in the squad for fixtures 1, 2 and 3. His inclusion was a numerical certainty, not a ringing endorsement of his test-level credentials.

With me so far?

I don't know what Joe thinks of Carty. I don't really care. My point was that you cannot use his inclusion in the squad to say that "Joe must see something in him". We needed three out-halves, so a third out-half had to be picked. Anything beyond that is pure speculation.

Just pointing out that in the overall scheme of things, who the third-choice outhalf is/is not probably isn't worth pages and pages of rows.

But re: Ross Byrne. No, I don't think Joe has much interest in him. This time last year, even after Byrne had started a lot of big games for Leinster, it was Keatley in the squad. Keatley. Byrne then got a jaunt to Australia but no actual caps. Then some minutes against Italy and USA, and now here we are. I don't see any of that as positive for Byrne.

Can we not call a spade a spade for once?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Zzippy wrote: »
    FYP. Who did Joe select for the 6N squad? Cos for all your own little rants, clutching at straws and moving goalposts, that is the only thing that matters in this debate.

This is a forum, people are allowed different opinions

The only one with little rants is yourself, putting smiles at the end doesn't change that.....

I support Ireland first and province second. As I said day 1 I think Byrne is a better selection but I will still shout for Carty if he is selected. I didn't think it wasn't allowed anymore on this forum to put forward a different opinion.

One which you haven't actually managed to answer a single question.

aloooof wrote: »
    Since you seem to be keen to follow up on unanswered questions, I'm still waiting on an answer from you to these in the Munster thread.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108933409&postcount=8777

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109469189&postcount=9864

Is this a Munster thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

Looks like a spade to me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

I don't know why everyone think Ed Byrne is going to be picked ahead of Carty. I mean, he's good. But he's a loosehead prop at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

I think cronin will struggle to make the world cup panel. If you can't do it against Italy God help you against the all blacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Let me put it a different way, in a way that you might find easier to get.

I don't think Joe has any interest in Caolin Blade, yet there he was in the squad for fixtures 1, 2 and 3. His inclusion was a numerical certainty, not a ringing endorsement of his test-level credentials.

With me so far?

I don't know what Joe thinks of Carty. I don't really care. My point was that you cannot use his inclusion in the squad to say that "Joe must see something in him". We needed three out-halves, so a third out-half had to be picked. Anything beyond that is pure speculation.

Just pointing out that in the overall scheme of things, who the third-choice outhalf is/is not probably isn't worth pages and pages of rows.

But re: Ross Byrne. No, I don't think Joe has much interest in him. This time last year, even after Byrne had started a lot of big games for Leinster, it was Keatley in the squad. Keatley. Byrne then got a jaunt to Australia but no actual caps. Then some minutes against Italy and USA, and now here we are. I don't see any of that as positive for Byrne.

Why did Joe pick Carty ahead of Ross Byrne so? Bit of craic?

I think you’re clearly trying to read a whole bunch more into selections than you’ll ever be able to, when trying to claim a coach has no interest in anyone. There’s no sense to this line of reasoning as far as I’m concerned

I’ve no idea how someone can be so certain of something they have next to no evidence for.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    This is a forum, people are allowed different opinions

The only one with little rants is yourself, putting smiles at the end doesn't change that.....

I support Ireland first and province second. As I said day 1 I think Byrne is a better selection but I will still shout for Carty if he is selected. I didn't think it wasn't allowed anymore on this forum to put forward a different opinion.

One which you haven't actually managed to answer a single question.

You need to chill out a bit. People are entitled to their opinion, yes, but when you state opinion as fact you will be called out on it. You state opinion as fact, but when others disagree with you they are on "rants".
    FWIW I didn't answer your questions as they were directed to someone else, but as others have also pointed out, you're not so great at answering questions yourself, so again, chill the **** out.

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Rants? I’m not the one flat out fabricating stuff on boards.ie about a guy being ‘woeful’ in a game then offering no substantive facts to back it up with other than the simplistic ‘his team lost 20-3’.

I think Joe Schmidt has probably considered who he would prefer to have coming on after five mins and notwithstanding your incredible knowledge of scorelines, I will go with the former’s view on it.

So your not ranting?

Apart from a thread with a few Connacht fans saying he done ok show me anything to show his great performance?

Who is questioning Joe, this is a discussion forum. Not a meeting to select the team. Joe has always shown he knows best. As I keep saying this is my opinion. If Sexton goes off after 5 mins I hope to see Carberry coming on, if not then Byrne. If Joe goes that way then good, if not I will still be supporting the team

• Advertisement

You need to chill out a bit. People are entitled to their opinion, yes, but when you state opinion as fact you will be called out on it. You state opinion as fact, but when others disagree with you they are on "rants".
    FWIW I didn't answer your questions as they were directed to someone else, but as others have also pointed out, you're not so great at answering questions yourself, so again, chill the **** out.

I put forward an opinion. When exactly did I say it was fact?

Please explain what is wrong with this question? I was looking to see what experience he had in stadium.....is something wrong with that?

How many minutes of rugby has Carty played in Aviva?

Somewhere, Jack Carty and Ross Byrne are glued to their phones watching their fans duelling it out.

Definitely.

100%.

It's not like they're both training incredibly hard right now not just to be number 3, but number 1.

I think cronin will struggle to make the world cup panel. If you can't do it against Italy God help you against the all blacks.

He has played and won twice against NZ.....currently nominated for European player of season.

He didn't have a great day against Italy but I don't think it was all Cronin. It is good to look at other options so will be interesting to see who is on bench against France

That's a nicely balanced Ireland team all things considered. Serious talent and a top coach. France similarly have a lot of talent in their line up, but they are much less settled, have a poor coach and will be reliant on individual brilliance or Irish mistakes because they can't do anything constructively through phases the last two seasons.

If we start well, play accurately and turn possession and territory in to points we can put this French team away in the first 40. If we gift them opportunities or don't bring enough intensity France will smell blood and it's game on.

I really hope we wipe the floor with them. We need it.

Is it normal for there to be a constant low level of trolling going on in this forum and I've just been unaware of it the entire time?

Is it normal for there to be a constant low level of trolling going on in this forum and I've just been unaware of it the entire time?

I liken it to the boiling frog effect.

The intensity only gets noticed when it's too high (i.e. Six Nations)

"What's wrong with asking how much experience a player has in one specific stadium" is just...yeah. Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,288 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Yes because people waste their time replying and it allows one person drag the thread miles off, the next step is someone coming in to claim that everyone from province x is saying it because the one person is from x.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

So your not ranting?

Apart from a thread with a few Connacht fans saying he done ok show me anything to show his great performance?

Who is questioning Joe, this is a discussion forum. Not a meeting to select the team. Joe has always shown he knows best. As I keep saying this is my opinion. If Sexton goes off after 5 mins I hope to see Carberry coming on, if not then Byrne. If Joe goes that way then good, if not I will still be supporting the team

No I’m not ranting. There was more than connacht fans saying he did well in the game if you read the thread. I said he played pretty well but regardless it was you who put forward the opinion that he was ‘woeful’ without any supporting facts.

If you’re just gonna make stuff up or put out opinions on a player being ‘woeful’ based on a score line, there’s not really much point engaging.

If I recall correctly, you also said you hadn’t seen much of Carty on here too so whilst you are entitled to your opinion, I don’t consider it well formed.

"What's wrong with asking how much experience a player has in one specific stadium" is just...yeah. Really?

Yes what is wrong with it?

In relevance to the original question of course

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,239 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Is this a Munster thread?

No. So what?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,910 ✭✭✭jacothelad

.... Is there anything to be said for starting Madigan?
    Is his battery flat then?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,777 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

It's a silly point tbh. Sure how much experience has Toner had in Japan? Or Stockdale in Georgia? Or Furlong in Fiji?
    They are all professional players who are paid to play rugby.
    I'm sure JS isn't sitting there thinking "jeez if johnny goes down in the 1st five then we need Byrne there because he has more experience of playing in the Aviva"

mfceiling wrote: »

It's a silly point tbh. Sure how much experience has Toner had in Japan? Or Stockdale in Georgia? Or Furlong in Fiji?
    They are all professional players who are paid to play rugby.
    I'm sure JS isn't sitting there thinking "jeez if johnny goes down in the 1st five then we need Byrne there because he has more experience of playing in the Aviva"

Apparently Joe is asking the IRFU to remove the first front rows in the Aviva to lay a greyhound track so Carty will feel more comfortable.

He's also bringing in massive wind machines and handing out fake warts and extra fingers to fans. So it'll feel like Galway like.

troyzer wrote: »
    Apparently Joe is asking the IRFU to remove the first front rows in the Aviva to lay a greyhound track so Carty will feel more comfortable.

He's also bringing in massive wind machines and handing out fake warts and extra fingers to fans. So it'll feel like Galway like.

Sigh. You were doing so well up to this...

Our women wear those when Leinster come to town, to keep them safe from D4 types. We don't want any dilution of the gene pool...

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Heymans

Our women wear those when Leinster come to town, to keep them safe from D4 types. We don't want any dilution of the gene pool...

I'd give one to any of those Galway weather women on TG4

Heymans wrote: »
    I'd give one to any of those Galway weather women on TG4

No doubt they'll be lining up in expectation.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Heymans

No doubt they'll be lining up in expectation.

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Our women wear those when Leinster come to town, to keep them safe from D4 types. We don't want any purification of the gene pool...

Fixed that for you. :D

• Advertisement

molloyjh wrote: »
    Fixed that for you. :D

Meh, what's a genetic mutation or 10,000,000 between friends...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement