Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Taylor-made CVPL Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

The cameraman? All hands and arms correct. No phalic signs anywhere. I give up! :rolleyes:

Rule 2: If Rule 1 doesn’t apply, look again!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Rule 2: If Rule 1 doesn’t apply, look again!
    Then Rule 34

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

• Registered Users Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

8/2(2+2) = ?

487673.jpg

When I looked at the equation, the answer in my head I got was 16. Then I looked at both calculators, and I could see the two possible answers. Now, I don't know what the rules are suppose to be? What do we learn in school these days?

Oh and btw, I hate those Facebook equations that tease people about what is the right answer causing arguments (hoping none start here).

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

astrofluff wrote: »
    When I looked at the equation, the answer in my head I got was 16. Then I looked at both calculators, and I could see the two possible answers. Now, I don't know what the rules are suppose to be? What do we learn in school these days?

Oh and btw, I hate those Facebook equations that tease people about what is the right answer causing arguments (hoping none start here).
    Nowadays they have fancy names but the rules haven't changed

BIDMAS

So the order you should do your calculations in is:

Brackets
    Indices
    Division and Multiplication (start on the left and work them out in the order that you find them)
    Addition and Subtraction (when only addition and subtraction are left in the sum, work them out in the order you find them - starting from the left of the sum and working towards the right)

Anyone does it differently then they don't have a STEM background.
    Science Technology Engineering Maths

• Advertisement

New Home wrote: »
    Hare today ... gone tomorrow

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Nowadays they have fancy names but the rules haven't changed

BIDMAS

So the order you should do your calculations in is:

Brackets
    Indices
    Division and Multiplication (start on the left and work them out in the order that you find them)
    Addition and Subtraction (when only addition and subtraction are left in the sum, work them out in the order you find them - starting from the left of the sum and working towards the right)

Anyone does it differently then they don't have a STEM background.
    Science Technology Engineering Maths

Poor old BOMDAS got exiled I see. :(

:pac::pac:

And that's the conundrum, BIDMAS or BOMDAS, different answer using each method.
    Lets just hope that whatever calculations a team are doing, that they ALL use the same method!
    Just imagine getting it wrong with a nuclear device or anything to do with navigation.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

And that's the conundrum, BIDMAS or BOMDAS, different answer using each method.
    Lets just hope that whatever calculations a team are doing, that they ALL use the same method!
    Just imagine getting it wrong with a nuclear device or anything to do with navigation.

But, BIDMAS and BOMDAS don't give different answers?

It's just semantics, basically. The O and I are the same, but just use a different word to represent it.

As for multiplying and dividing, it actually doesn't matter which one you do first. Same for addition and subtraction. So, if you work off BODMSA and it would still lead to the same result.

There's effectively only four parts : B O MD AS.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

I think the key point is that if you're going to write out a sum like that, do it legibly and unambiguously

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

But if you read what it says on the calculator on the left it says "History" which I take to mean that is the history of the calculation in the order it was input so of course the answer is "wrong" compared to writing out the equation and then working it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Ah so the one on the left each calculation step should be on a different line
    8/2=4
    2+2=4
    4×4=16

Still bonkers

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

No, not on a different line. You can omit the multiplication sign outside a bracket, IIRC.

To be, or not to be, that is the question

__
    2B . 2B

The answer is of course -1.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,143 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

The calculator thing is nothing to do with PEMDAS or BODMAS.

The issue is of associativity.

One calculator is right associative, the other is left associative.

So both answers are correct because the original equation is deliberately ambiguous so as to cause this.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

One is taking the equation in left-right order for multiplication/division.
    The other is performing multiplication THEN division...

At least that's how it appears to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

8/2(2+2) = ?

487673.jpg

So, obviously and as others have said, resolving the brackets come first.

Therefore (2+2) = 4

That leaves 8/2(4).

So the question then becomes:

Does the process of "resolving the brackets" include "resolving the multiplication that is implicit in the opening bracket" or not?

If the answer to the above question is 'Yes', then it becomes 8/8, or 1.

If the answer is 'No', then it becomes 8/2*4, and you resolve the multiplication and division in the order they appear from left to right, and so it is 4*4 = 16.

I do not know the correct answer to the question in bold. But I think it should be 'Yes'

(Edited to add: This part of the Wikipedia article on the subject seems to imply that I'm right)

In order to be properly stated, it should probably be either:

8/(2(2+2))

or

(8/2)(2+2)

I really don't have a clue on what's the 'correct' way of handling it, tbh...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I stopped looking when neither answer was 58008.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Suckit wrote: »
    I stopped looking when neither answer was 58008.

Don't you mean 5318008?

• Advertisement

ganmo wrote: »
    I call bull nuts, has to be photoshop

Yeah, it's either a bit of sunshine through a crack in the curtains/blinds, or a torch trained on the dogs chest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

ganmo wrote: »
    I call bull nuts, has to be photoshop
    Wait, what? You mean I can't believe everything I see on the internet? :eek: I'm shocked :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

What? I didn't post that! :p

inforfun wrote: »
    https://i.imgur.com/rFpyjxE.mp4

You want to have sound with this one

This just made my morning!!! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

• Registered Users Posts: 78,321 ✭✭✭✭Victor

For a moment I thought a cryogenic Han Solo was about to pop out.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110988622&postcount=909

Bootup wrote: »
    FEcRewz.jpg

OK so I admit it sometimes I'm a bit slooooooow "oh fox sake"

I must have looked at that one at least 5 times before it finally dawned on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,334 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

my3cents wrote: »
    OK so I admit it sometimes I'm a bit slooooooow "oh fox sake"

I must have looked at that one at least 5 times before it finally dawned on me.

Don't quite have it yet

• Registered Users Posts: 14,366 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

fritzelly wrote: »
    Don't quite have it yet

Oh four foxes sake.

• Advertisement

Oh four foxes sake.

Just proves after 5 attempts I still didn't have it :D

Advertisement