Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passport Renewal Witnesses

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

The local Garda station would not witness when I was getting the kids passport renewed a few weeks ago as we were not known to them.

The crèche manager did but told us it’s a bit hit and miss as sometimes the pp office don’t accept her, sometimes they do, despite her occupation listed.

On the other side of the coin though, the online renewal for an adults passport is a pleasure... so easy and quick.

I think thats the point of the list of professionals, there should be someone on that list that knows who you are and if contacted could say if the person whose passport is being renewed is actually the person it should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,639 ✭✭✭✭josip

The local Garda station would not witness when I was getting the kids passport renewed a few weeks ago as we were not known to them.

The crèche manager did but told us it’s a bit hit and miss as sometimes the pp office don’t accept her, sometimes they do, despite her occupation listed.

On the other side of the coin though, the online renewal for an adults passport is a pleasure... so easy and quick.

I didn't think your local Garda station could refuse you?
    I've been refused in a Garda Station once, because although it was the closest, it didn't cover where I live.
    "Being known to the Gardai" is usually not a positive thing.

josip wrote: »
    I've been refused in a Garda Station once, because although it was the closest, it didn't cover where I live.

But the point i think is that the witness is supposed to know you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

my3cents wrote: »
    But the point i think is that the witness is supposed to know you.

No. They’re just verifying the photo is you. That’s all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

I never had an issue before with getting them to witness stuff. And we rolled up with both our and the kids current passports etc...but no go!
    Maybe as 3cents said, they need to know you and are more struck these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I was the first to ask the staff in my kids preschool, they had never seen the form prior to me bringing it in. No problems with it, sent it off and got the passport in the post about 2 weeks later.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,200 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

The list covers those who are registered professionals. A false statement by a registered professional will see them professionally sanctioned by the registration body and could cost them their career

No. They’re just verifying the photo is you. That’s all.

But if they don't know you by name then verifying that the photo is the you means nothing because you could be applying for a passport in another name.

But if they don't know you by name then verifying that the photo is the you means nothing because you could be applying for a passport in another name.

They also stamp the registration form.

Edit:

Here’s the procedure.

A Garda at your local Garda station will witness your passport application form; as long as they are satisfied as to your identity and that your four photos are a true likeness of you. Make sure you bring photo identification with you and be aware that the Garda may ask you for more proof of identification.

You must:

• Sign Section 8 of the form in the presence of the Garda. Applicants aged seven or over must sign this part of the form themselves.

The Garda must:

• Complete Section 9 of the form
    • Write the form number (found on Section 9 of the application) on the back of two of your four photos
    • Sign and stamp the back of those two photos

Remember…

Your application form is only valid for six months from the date your witness signs it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

They are all jobs that have some kind of registration process, giving an independent list that can be checked against.

Anyone can call themselves an engineer, it's not a restricted title. But chartered engineer is.

My job is on that list - if I went through some registration process resulting in my name being on an independent. checkable, list it's news to me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

The list covers those who are registered professionals. A false statement by a registered professional will see them professionally sanctioned by the registration body and could cost them their career

I'm a what now?!?!

Where the hell can I see this list I am apparently listed on?
    How can a body I never registered with sanction me??

My job is definitely on that list.

They also stamp the registration form.

Edit:

Here’s the procedure.

A Garda at your local Garda station will witness your passport application form; as long as they are satisfied as to your identity and that your four photos are a true likeness of you. Make sure you bring photo identification with you and be aware that the Garda may ask you for more proof of identification.

You must:

• Sign Section 8 of the form in the presence of the Garda. Applicants aged seven or over must sign this part of the form themselves.

The Garda must:

• Complete Section 9 of the form
    • Write the form number (found on Section 9 of the application) on the back of two of your four photos
    • Sign and stamp the back of those two photos

Remember…

Your application form is only valid for six months from the date your witness signs it.

The Garda if they can be bothered (I was turned away because they didn't know me) still has to be satisfied that the name of the person is correct. Far easier for someone to do that if they know you.

The Garda if they can be bothered (I was turned away because they didn't know me) still has to be satisfied that the name of the person is correct. Far easier for someone to do that if they know you.

You’re not going to give up o this are you? If you’re renewing you will have the old passport, if not or it’s lost then a birth cert should do. Nowhere in the rules does it say the person should be known to you. Everybody would use a nurse or vet if that was the case. In fact while the list of professions is long the only example given for a paper renewal is the gardai, which is probably why most people do that.

They don’t have to know you. Of course they may be using that to get out of what should be an obligation. Having to be known to the cops is a bit unfair on law abiding citizens who live away from where they grew up, or even where they grew up in urban areas.

You’re not going to give up o this are you? If you’re renewing you will have the old passport, if not or it’s lost then a birth cert should do.

They don’t have to know you. Of course they may be using that to get out of what should be an obligation. Having to be known to the cops is a bit unfair on law abiding citizens who live away from where they grew up.

It was about 8 years ago I last renewed my passport and the Garda wouldn't do any of that for me even though I had my old passport and a mass of documents proving who I was including others with my photograph.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Daisy78

godtabh wrote: »
    Chartered engineer? thats a new one for me

And “chartered” too. Not just the fella that comes to fix your washing machine or install your broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭RobbieMD

For the section 7 of the form, consent of parents or guardians, then of course the Garda could refuse. The note to the witness states “must be personally known” to the witness. If they’re not personally known to the Garda then the Garda is correct to not sign it.

It was about 8 years ago I last renewed my passport and the Garda wouldn't do any of that for me even though I had my old passport and a mass of documents proving who I was including others with my photograph.

That’s bad news as my oh needs to renew. Because of this thread I megtined it and she realised it. What did you have to do?

That’s bad news as my oh needs to renew. Because of this thread I megtined it and she realised it. What did you have to do?

I went to my doctor who charged me a tenner for the privilege :rolleyes:

However I've had to get other documents verified recently (probate and power of attorney) and now use my neighbor who is a company solicitor they aren't actually registered as a solicitor anymore but anyone looking them up can find them as a company in house solicitor on line and everything has gone through OK so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,639 ✭✭✭✭josip

I went to my doctor who charged me a tenner for the privilege :rolleyes:

However I've had to get other documents verified recently (probate and power of attorney) and now use my neighbor who is a company solicitor they aren't actually registered as a solicitor anymore but anyone looking them up can find them as a company in house solicitor on line and everything has gone through OK so far.

A Peace Commissioner would provide the service for free.
    The Dept of Justice maintain that list, however it may not be up to date. ??
    Your local Garda Station can give you the name of one.
    You'll probably be just as unknown to the Peace Commissioner as to the Guard you're talking to, but what the hey, that's the system.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/civil_law/peace_commissioners.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Pataman

Daisy78 wrote: »
    And “chartered” too. Not just the fella that comes to fix your washing machine or install your broadband.

He wouldn't be an engineer anyway, just a technician.

• Advertisement
Advertisement