Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you know these places?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

BUT, on looking at that part of the movie again, I think it does not seem to match with the area (even though I know it would have become built up since then). I think that the gate is not at St. Flannan's College, and that it is probably the gateway of Dromoland Castle.

St. Flannan's College:
    https://www.google.com/maps/@52.8324382,-8.9822225,3a,60y,318.57h,90.85t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1szN6Id_0mUfOYbwGmZo8M4Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Dromoland Castle:
    https://www.google.com/maps/@52.7817635,-8.9165858,3a,60y,78.95h,70.2t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sp9xiw6V5GPQ-8ODCAm_YWQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

You're spot on!
    The gate posts and the railings look quite the same, but they at two different locations.
    I wonder what the need was to shoot two close scenes at two far apart locations.

Thanks for your contribution! :)

EDIT: In the movie the cars approaches from a road next to the first gate post, a road that doesn't exist on the maps.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 44 hugedinosaur

. . .
    : In the movie the cars approaches from a road next to the first gate post, a road that doesn't exist on the maps.

What point is this at? Can you give a still image or a minutes and seconds point?

What point is this at? Can you give a still image or a minutes and seconds point?

Yes, of course, at minute 4:00.
    The car approaches from a road that previously in the movie was the one with Mountcashel Castle, stops at the gate post with the name "Leinster School" and then drives on to the school.
    That road isn't on Google Maps near Dromoland Castle's gates, that, in turn, look very much like the gate posts in the movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,991 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

The car approaches from a road that previously in the movie was the one with Mountcashel Castle, stops at the gate post with the name "Leinster School" and then drives on to the school.
    That road isn't on Google Maps near Dromoland Castle's gates, that, in turn, look very much like the gate posts in the movie.

It looks like the gates to Dromoland on the Newmarket Road before the road was widened .....

film-gate1.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 44 hugedinosaur

Yes, that is the road at Dromoland alright. Like Johnboy1951 said, it has been widened since then. Also, the outside pier in that image around the 4 minute mark has been lowered. You can see what remains of that pier as it is now, just beside the Dromoland Castle Hotel sign.
    https://www.google.com/maps/@52.7817635,-8.9165858,3a,67y,127.77h,82.28t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sp9xiw6V5GPQ-8ODCAm_YWQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Advertisement

It looks like the gates to Dromoland on the Newmarket Road before the road was widened .....

Yes, you're right, I thought about this about an hour later. It wasn't a road from a side, it was the same road before it was widened. My fault, sorry!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

https://i.ibb.co/fNhXF2b/film-gate1.png

I would say that is almost definitely Dromoland but it might also be 1 of the entrances to Carrigoran, there used to be 2 entrances, 1 each side of Newmarket, that might be the 1 on the Ennis side

• Registered Users Posts: 13,991 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Clareman wrote: »
    I would say that is almost definitely Dromoland but it might also be 1 of the entrances to Carrigoran, there used to be 2 entrances, 1 each side of Newmarket, that might be the 1 on the Ennis side

Did the road rise up as in that pic at the entrance you are thinking of?

I do not recall that entrance.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Hedgelayer

The first picture in the op post is definitely Cragganowen

One of the other places is Dromoland castle.

And possibly the other is one of the tower's on the O Garney river near Sixmilebridge or Cratloe..

Hedgelayer wrote: »
    The first picture in the op post is definitely Cragganowen

One of the other places is Dromoland castle.

And possibly the other is one of the tower's on the O Garney river near Sixmilebridge or Cratloe..

Thanks, I do appreciate all of your contributions! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement