Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didn't know that this thread would have a part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Kat1170

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Exactly. Professional opinions are constantly evolving, so unless you know for certain it’s probably best to leave well alone.

Or are being different just for the sake of being different, hard to tell sometimes.

The last (known) murder in Lichtenstein occurred in 2009.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Exactly. Professional opinions are constantly evolving, so unless you know for certain it’s probably best to leave well alone.

I have a problem with that idea though. Lets say during its era some of the standing stones of Stone Henge fell, and were put back together in a slightly different pattern. Does that invalidate the monument? Or lets say there were Roman era repairs to the Pantheon which fixed a hole in the roof in a slightly different material to the original. Does that invalidate the building?

Clearly not. Things evolve. The question becomes more tricky if some time has passed, and the Pantheon has a hole in the roof in the 12th C and is fixed. But I think most people would accept that too.

It gets more tricky again the closer the repairs are to our time, because we tend to feel that that invalidates the ancientness of the monument somehow, and depending on the amount of the repairs or on the materials used we may find it discontinuous with the ancient monument. I think personally it depends on the amount of work done, and any new materials used. Using concrete on Newgrange is a discontinuity, since the ancients wouldn't have done that, I don't care too much about whether they got the exact stones on stone henge correct, as the ancient builders would have put it back together has it fallen done in their era, but not necessarily in the exact same positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

In fairness, in my original post I did say that the most impressive part of the stones was getting them to the location in the first place. The blusestones came from western Wales, some 150 miles away from where they are now. My problem, if indeed I have one, is the haphazard “conservation” work, setting them in concrete bases, reimagining the positions, etc. And more importantly the whitewashing of this work from history.

As for the comments of replacing damaged parts of historical items over time, we could end up getting in a “Trigger’s Broom” debate. (which actually originated from Ship of Theseus thought experiment)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Of course, by design, the Pantheon has a hole in the roof.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

To me it's like changing the "innards" of a watch to repair it. If you keep changing everything one bit at a time, you'll have something that looks like the initial watch but is anything but. If repairs are carried out, in my view, they should be done in a way that shows that they're most definitely not part of the original work, much like they do with pottery in museums.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

In fairness, in my original post I did say that the most impressive part of the stones was getting them to the location in the first place. The blusestones came from western Wales, some 150 miles away from where they are now. My problem, if indeed I have one, is the haphazard “conservation” work, setting them in concrete bases, reimagining the positions, etc. And more importantly the whitewashing of this work from history.

As for the comments of replacing damaged parts of historical items over time, we could end up getting in a “Trigger’s Broom” debate. (which actually originated from Ship of Theseus thought experiment)

I don’t actually think that the ship of Theseus or trigger’s broom are that relevant because I’m not talking about replacing all of it. I don’t think we should just let ruins be ruins, the Taj Mahal was restored in the 19C by the British (after previously being despoiled by them), and there’s talk of a restoration today as well. Westminister is also being restored and I suppose upgraded.

IMHO there's a big difference between repairing something relatively modern that we know the actual history of so we can continue using it, and putting something ancient back together according to someone's best guess no matter how educated that guess may be.

Whether we should or not, well, that will bring out as many opinions as how it should be done.

Bananas are curved because they grow towards the sun in a process called negative geotropism.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Kat1170 wrote: »
    IMHO there's a big difference between repairing something relatively modern that we know the actual history of so we can continue using it, and putting something ancient back together according to someone's best guess no matter how educated that guess may be.

Whether we should or not, well, that will bring out as many opinions as how it should be done.

Bananas are curved because they grow towards the sun in a process called negative geotropism.

Growing towards the sun/ light is called phototropism

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I don’t actually think that the ship of Theseus or trigger’s broom are that relevant.
    Didn't someone post a while back on this very thread that Lloyds of London , the ship and satellite insurance people, that a ship is still considered to be the same even if it's been totally replaced over time ?

Halloween III used Stonehenge as a plot device.
    And I still can't watch it without the Silver Shamrock song reminding me of Barney.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Conchir

China used more concrete from 2011-2013 than the USA did from 1901-2000.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

aziz wrote: »
    Talking of places that were rebuilt,the Cavern club in Liverpool was demolished years ago and a exact but mirror image copy was built across the road

A few years ago, I came back to my apartment after work and realized that every picture, chair, plate, knife fork etc had been swapped for identical copies of the original. Every stick of furniture. Whole kit & kaboodle switched out. I said this to my flat mate when he came home abd he said "Who are you?"

Growing towards the sun/ light is called phototropism

Bananas go through a unique process known as negative geotropism. Instead of continuing to grow towards the ground, they start to turn towards the sun. The fruit grows against gravity, giving the banana its familiar curved shape.

http://www.dole.eu/dole-earth/farmtour/bananito/hotspot/banana-curved.html

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

The Greenland ice sheet covers 80% of the island with a thickness of generally more than 2 km. There have been repeated warnings about what will happen if the entire ice cap melted. I.e. a global rise in sea levels of 7.2 metres, dramatically affecting coastal regions around the world.

But what would Greenland look like without the ice sheet? For one, there would be a large body of water in the middle of it.

Topographic_map_of_Greenland_bedrock.jpg

As this image above shows, much of the bedrock is either at or below sea level. This is down to the weight of ice depressing the central areas of Greenland. If the Ice melted Greenland would most likely initially appear as an archipelago. Over the course of thousands of years, the surface would rebound (isostasy), and probably rise above sea level again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

If the entire internet goes down, there are seven people who hold the keys to restarting it. They will travel to a secure location in the US and get the master key to restart it.

Seven people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

If the entire internet goes down, there are seven people who hold the keys to restarting it. They will travel to a secure location in the US and get the master key to restart it.

Seven people.

He's based in the UK and will need to fly to the US. If the internet is down worldwide, good luck booking a flight mate! :rolleyes:

He's based in the UK and will need to fly to the US. If the internet is down worldwide, good luck booking a flight mate! :rolleyes:

I'd imagine he'd be in army transport...

Doubt he'd be flying with Aer Lingus...

Seven people.

Why can't we just turn if off and on again?

That would be the most powerful position to be in in the history of humanity. To hold the key to what keeps our developed world turning makes hostages of billions of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Candie wrote: »
    Why can't we just turn if off and on again?

That would be the most powerful position to be in in the history of humanity. To hold the key to what keeps our developed world turning makes hostages of billions of us.

How does it make you a hostage?

How does it make you a hostage?

Metaphorically speaking.

If peoples livelihoods and means of survival were dependent on the internet to carry out, if States failed to operate properly without the tool of the internet, if policing is largely dependent on digital information and access to the internet - and much more I can't think of I'm sure, then you could wield a large degree of coercive control over the population, as one could with a hostage.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Seven people.

aka The Elders of the Internet

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

When home rule for Greenland began in 1979, it held a new referendum and voted to leave the EEC in 1982. After wrangling over fishing rights, the territory did not leave the EEC until 1985. As part of the deal struck at the time it remains subject to the EU treaties through association of Overseas Countries and Territories with the EU.

Cows and deer both tend to face north* when in groups. Some researchers with too much time on their hands used Google Earth to check this out.

*Magnetic North that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

There are many relations that you are not legally allowed marry. Quite right too, or else you might marry your daughter, havr a kid, and that kid would be your grandchild and child at the same time!

But a surprising one is that you cant marry your childs spouse (or aunts/uncles spouse, step-grandparent ..... )

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prohibited_degree_of_kinship?wprov=sfla1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

Cows and deer both tend to face north* when in groups. Some researchers with too much time on their hands used Google Earth to check this out.

*Magnetic North that is.

That has a familiar ring to it but I thought it was mostly bull! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Force Carrier

There are many relations that you are not legally allowed marry. Quite right too, or else you might marry your daughter, havr a kid, and that kid would be your grandchild and child at the same time!

But a surprising one is that you cant marry your childs spouse (or aunts/uncles spouse, step-grandparent ..... )

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prohibited_degree_of_kinship?wprov=sfla1

Might be surprising because it has nothing to with the genetic dangers and yeuk factors that dictate the other prohibitions.

This one has been seen as a threat to social cohesion, the family unit and community/society.

At Sunday dinner it is the Forbidden game of footsie under the table.

On a similar note, there is the Íslendingabók (book of Icelanders).
    The app allows users to bump their phones together and instantly find out whether or not they are related.

“Bump in the app before you bump in bed,” is the totally awesome tag line for the new product, created by a group of Software Engineering students at the University of Iceland named Sad Engineer Studios.

Sleeping with a relative is more of an issue in Iceland than most other territories due to the country’s small size—Iceland has just 320,000 residents, compared with more than 300 million people in the U.S.—as well as the lack of immigration and the peculiar way that surnames are constructed in the country.

The Star Wars theme was written purposely in the same key as the 20th Century Fox intro that used to appear before the movie started. This was done so that there would be a continuous feeling and a smooth entry to the film for the viewers.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

*Magnetic North that is.

That'll be the iron particles in their brains I guess. Saw a wildlife documentary about Alaskan salmon species recently and that applies to them, They are able to navigate back to their exact birthplace thanks to tiny iron particles in their brain mapping the initial downstream journey in relation to the magnetic field of the planet, and hence are able to reverse the map upon their return 4 or so years later.

On September 30, 331 BC Alexander the Great banned beards for health and safety reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,028 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Apparently our solar system is "drowning in water" according to this clip from BBC website.

https://www.bbc.com/reel/video/p06y2c9k/why-water-is-one-of-the-weirdest-things-in-the-universe

"H2O is the 2nd most common molecule in the universe, and theres H2O on almost every object in our solar system".

Well, if thats correct and scientists know it, how come we have been seeing headlines like WATER DISCOVERED ON MARS for the last decade or more? Like its some sort of massive discovery??

Advertisement