Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didn't know that this thread would have a part 2

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

It derives from "Exposition Internationale des Arts Décoratifs et Industriels Modernes"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

On a slightly different note, did you know that listening to crickets can tell you the temperature in Fahrenheit?
    • First get your cricket
    • Count the number of chirps in 14 seconds
    • Add that to 40
    • Now you have the temperature in Fahrenheit

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

On a slightly different note, did you know that listening to crickets can tell you the temperature in Fahrenheit?
    • First get your cricket
    • Add that to 40

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Another Bob Dylan one - he's one of only two people ever to have won both a Nobel Prize and an Oscar, along with our own George Bernard Shaw.

I suppose this could actually happen (at least, it can until they abolish the time changes).

514679.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

God. I laughed at “the science chirps for itself” bit. Shoot me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Under intense fear, opossums fall into a comatose-like state that can last for hours, long enough to convince any predator that the opossum is dead. Fear causes these animals to emit a corpse-like smell that only adds to their act

I think i have found my spirit animal.

Why would the predator not just eat them?

You'd think it would be a bonus, not having to actually kill the little bugger first!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,159 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Why would the predator not just eat them?

You'd think it would be a bonus, not having to actually kill the little bugger first!

this bit
    emit a corpse-like smell that only adds to their act

some animals wont eat carrion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

Fourier wrote: »
    I'm not sure how the Norse myths changed into the modern Icelandic ones.

Not much really. The Icelandic sagas are actually based on the Norse myths, they are only much more alive in Iceland but not modern as such.
    Iceland was pretty much isolated for a long time and so all the old sagas survived.

Today still 60% of the Icelandic population believes in elves and all the other little creatures. They actually have an official elves commissioner who has to give an expert opinion when roads are built and such like.

And there is an elves school where you can learn everything about the little people. With diploma!

It's not that far away from the Irish fairies. I remember that Eddie Lenihan, storyteller and fairy expert, managed that a new road in Clare was slightly diverted to not destroy a fairy tree.
    There is a fairy tree in my area, full of offerings from people who make a wish to the fairies. From me too, I have to admit. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Carry wrote: »
    Not much really. The Icelandic sagas are actually based on the Norse myths, they are only much more alive in Iceland but not modern as such.
    Iceland was pretty much isolated for a long time and so all the old sagas survived.

Today still 60% of the Icelandic population believes in elves and all the other little creatures. They actually have an official elves commissioner who has to give an expert opinion when roads are built and such like.
    Ha! That's class. I found this woman who is an Elf sex expert!
    https://icelandmag.is/article/icelandic-woman-claims-elves-are-better-lovers-men

Is it true that they can still read the sagas without help?
    There is a fairy tree in my area, full of offerings from people who make a wish to the fairies. From me too, I have to admit. :cool:
    I know granny thought the faeries were dead people, I don't know how common that was.

• Advertisement

Ha! That's class. I found this woman who is an Elf sex expert!
    https://icelandmag.is/article/icelandic-woman-claims-elves-are-better-lovers-men

:D:D:D
    Sex with the Icelandic Invisibles
    That's certainly something worth exploring :D:D:D Invisible lovers, I think I'll get me one, Icelandic or not. :pac:
    Is it true that they can still read the sagas without help?

No idea, but I guess so. Icelandic is rather Old Norse because of the isolation of the country and they are apparently proud to keep it that way. Not the isolation but the Old Norse.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• First get your cricket
    • Add that to 40

Count number of chirps in 25 seconds, divide by 3, then add 4 to get temperature in Celsius. :P

^^^
    Post of the week right there. :D

Count number of chirps in 25 seconds, divide by 3, then add 4 to get temperature in Celsius. :P

Is that just for European crickets only, or does it work on Yankee ones too?

Oh, and who knew there were so many cricket experts on here? :P:D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,015 ✭✭✭✭Esel

New Home wrote: »
    It derives from "Exposition Internationale des Arts Décoratifs et Industriels Modernes"
    So, Art Décoratif in the singular then?

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Crickets were very popular pets in some parts of the world, particularly the Far East, China for example(where they're still sometimes kept). They were considered a lucky animal. They were also kept as fighting crickets and betting on outcomes could be very high stakes affairs. One other culture where they were also kept as pets for a time was Spain of all places.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

:D:D:D
    That's certainly something worth exploring :D:D:D Invisible lovers, I think I'll get me one, Icelandic or not. :pac:
    You haven't truly been loved until you've experienced a gnome.

WS7Xoh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

• First get your cricket
    • Add that to 40

This is the most complicated cricket equation since the duckworth Lewis method

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

The 1925 serum run to Nome, a.k.a. the Great Race of Mercy, was a transport of diphtheria antitoxin by dog sled relay across the Alaska by 20 mushers and about 150 sled dogs. They covered about 674 miles in five and a half days and saved Nome and the surrounding communities from an incipient epidemic.

Today, most huskies in the US are descended from the sled dog team that completed the 1925 Great Race of Mercy. They saved many children's lives by transporting diphtheria antitoxin when no one else could. Afterwards, the team was sold to a kennel in Poland Spring, Maine.

But he is not INVISIBLE! My god, I wish he were... :eek:

I was desperately trying to find a meme with fainting and pearl clutching, gave up, because I fainted while pearl clutching...

• Advertisement

Since this thread has now descended into gnome shaming I'm off.

#gnomepositive
    #gnomepegging*

*After all a woman's place is in the gnome

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

WS7Xoh.jpg

Not worth it emotionally.
    They love you and then they're gnone.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

mzungu wrote: »
    The 1925 serum run to Nome, a.k.a. the Great Race of Mercy, was a transport of diphtheria antitoxin by dog sled relay across the Alaska by 20 mushers and about 150 sled dogs. They covered about 674 miles in five and a half days and saved Nome and the surrounding communities from an incipient epidemic.

Today, most huskies in the US are descended from the sled dog team that completed the 1925 Great Race of Mercy. They saved many children's lives by transporting diphtheria antitoxin when no one else could. Afterwards, the team was sold to a kennel in Poland Spring, Maine.

Yep they basically ran the arses off dogs to give emergency innoculations to kids so that less than 100 years later parents can decide not to give their kids vaccines.

At least the Fairies have rings: it means their intentions are serious.

New Home wrote: »
    At least the Fairies have rings: it means their intentions are serious.
    Hobbits are similar, though you have to get them young. Sex can be hard for the elderly as old hobbits die hard.

OOC: Okay I'm done! :pac:

I gnome what you mean. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

New Home wrote:
    I gnome what you mean.

Oh Gnome-io.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

At one stage lobster was considered food for the poor. In some states in America, laws were sought to prevent prisons from serving it to prisoners more than twice a week because it was cruel. It was so abundant, it was also used as crop fertilizer!

Also read somewhere this week that female kangeroos have three vaginas! Did not know that! :/

OK ,moving on from all this gnomosexuality :p

Did you know that Volkswagen don't just make cars? They also make currywurst, and it's their best selling item. It even has it's own part number.

*looks for sausage emoji*

• Advertisement

Do they have a smoked version made using their cars' exhausts?

Advertisement