Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where have all the Galway people gone?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭tinofapples

xckjoo wrote: »
    :confused: I'd be more worried if nothing had changed after 20 years......

Smart arses aren't we :rolleyes:

The OP started the thread about "severe lack of native Galway people going around these days"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Smart arses aren't we :rolleyes:

The OP started the thread about "severe lack of native Galway people going around these days"

Just making the observation that you're talking about 20 years ago. Do you expect all your friends to be doing the exact same thing 20 years later?

To add my own anecdotes to the thread. Native born and bred. Most of my friends are still around but we're out-and-about less now. If I'm in town I'm spending money so only go in when I need something. Not sure about my other school mates but based on Facebook and occasional spottings in the wild, I'd say most are still in the city or here fairly regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭tinofapples

I wasn't referring to "friends" just people I knew or familiar faces, suppose people move on and die :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Paddico

I wondering myself what's the point of this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 23,612 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Paddico wrote: »
    I wondering myself what's the point of this thread
    Maroon & White

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Paddico

zell12 wrote: »
    Maroon & White

We don't like outsiders round here

• Registered Users Posts: 23,612 ✭✭✭✭zell12

are-you-local.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Occasionally (although getting rarer these days) I meet a fella with the old townie Galway accent. They are literally a dying breed.

Still a few knocking around that frequent certain hostelries in the city.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

Very few native Galwegians would live in the city itself save for areas like Salthill and Knocknacarra. The city is populated in the main by students and non-Irish who usually don't have cars. Most Galwegians live out the country and commute in and leave again at 5pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,722 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Very few native Galwegians would live in the city itself save for areas like Salthill and Knocknacarra. The city is populated in the main by students and non-Irish who usually don't have cars. Most Galwegians live out the country and commute in and leave again at 5pm.

Haaaaa.

Mervue, Shantalla and Westside would like to disagree with you there. So would the daytime inhabitants of at least one pub in Woodquay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Quite a lot are visiting musicians too, when Mick Crehan ran the traditional music school a lot of people travelled from overseas to learn the Galway/Clare style of traditional music . Also Galway is very attractive for busking and entertainers so there is also that aspect which is a good thing.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 320 ✭✭WillieMason

Occasionally (although getting rarer these days) I meet a fella with the old townie Galway accent. They are literally a dying breed.

Still a few knocking around that frequent certain hostelries in the city.

Whats the old townie Galway accent like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭spurshero

Plenty of galwegians around . It’s just we have a much more multi cultural society and bigger town then we used to with a lot more people from other counties as well then there used to be .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Haaaaa.

Mervue, Shantalla and Westside would like to disagree with you there. So would the daytime inhabitants of at least one pub in Woodquay.

Borr na halla

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Borr na halla

Swollen Hall? What?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

Howya luveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

?Cee?view wrote: »
    Swollen Hall? What?

Bár na chaladh . Top of the Quay I think it translates into.
    Great pub

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Bullocks wrote: »
    ?Cee?view wrote: »
    Swollen Hall? What?

Bár na chaladh . Top of the Quay I think it translates into.
    Great pub
    Smells like sewage when you walk by it, great has many meanings it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

It’s a brilliant pub. Drinking during the daytime, nice and quiet, racing on, bookies nearby. Good atmosphere

Andrew00 wrote: »

It’s a brilliant pub. Drinking during the daytime, nice and quiet, racing on, bookies nearby. Good atmosphere
    To each their own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,722 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

To each their own.

Indeed.

It wasn't where I had in mind. There's another which is run by locals, and draws a more local crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

I can't say I noticed the sewage smell outside but I don't get in often. I certainly never noticed a smell inside either.
    Is it strange to judge a pub by a smell on the street?

Bullocks wrote: »

I can't say I noticed the sewage smell outside but I don't get in often. I certainly never noticed a smell inside either.
    Is it strange to judge a pub by a smell on the street?
    No, I've smelt it in there on an occasion that's why I've mentioned it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ArtyC

No, I've smelt it in there on an occasion that's why I've mentioned it.

I've crossed the road rather than pass it ,
    Serious hum out of it out onto the street

• Registered Users Posts: 12,159 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Almost sounds like a midlands or Laois accent. But you never hear it anymore. My grandfather on my dads side sounded like that but neither me nor my dad do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

MadYaker wrote: »
    Almost sounds like a midlands or Laois accent. But you never hear it anymore. My grandfather on my dads side sounded like that but neither me nor my dad do.

Strange description, but anyway...

Go down to McDonaghs' Fish and Chips and listen to most of the staff. That's it.

Definitely in no way resembles a Midlands accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Complete opposite I'd say. The midlands accent is a flat drawl. The old Galway townie accent would be much quicker and nasally. Hard to describe really but nothing like the generic midlands accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭flazio

There must be youtube videos somewhere with good examples?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 MARTINOZ

If you say the phrase "How's it goin' ould shtock?" you'll get close to a Galwegian accent.

Advertisement