Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Eircode = no broadband

Options
  • 24-01-2019 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

I've just spent the last few days trying to get a broadband connection for a new house but been told by all the major supplier they connect without an eircode.

I've just completed the new house and as such I don't have an eircode yet. I've contacted eircode and they won't issue an eircode until June at the earliest. So this means I can't get phone or internet until I've been living in the house for 6 months.

Has anyone else come across this issues? Any ideas how to resolve the issue?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

mcmorrowg wrote: »
    I've just spent the last few days trying to get a broadband connection for a new house but been told by all the major supplier they connect without an eircode.

I've just completed the new house and as such I don't have an eircode yet. I've contacted eircode and they won't issue an eircode until June at the earliest. So this means I can't get phone or internet until I've been living in the house for 6 months.

Any next door neighbours? The next eircode updates should be in Feb, not June.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Yes. It is a reality of the FTTH rollout that premises are indexed by Eircode and as such a premises cannot be added unless it has an Eircode. Unfortunately for you I don't hink there is any way around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 mcmorrowg

Any next door neighbours? The next eircode updates should be in Feb, not June.

Yes, my father in law is 50m away and has broadband. I tried using his Eircode but they said they couldn't do it.

An post submitted the latest postal points on the 10th Jan for issue of new Eircodes in February/March. The next submission isn't until April and Eircodes to follow in May/June.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

There really needs to be a process where an Eircode is given out with the planning permission.

Eircode wasn't ever intended to be a gate keeper for broadband services but you can clearly see that is what's happening as they are able to verify precise location with it.

EdgeCase wrote: »
    There really needs to be a process where an Eircode is given out with the planning permission.

Eircode wasn't ever intended to be a gate keeper for broadband services but you can clearly see that is what's happening as they are able to verify precise location with it.

Or speed up the issue of Eircodes. Why can't homeowners apply online to have one issued if they have an MPRN number from ESB. Its as simple as that.

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Digiweb

Send us a PM if you'd like any help

Or speed up the issue of Eircodes. Why can't homeowners apply online to have one issued if they have an MPRN number from ESB. Its as simple as that.

I'm not sure but it shouldn't be a weird, non transparent and mysterious process that apparently occurs by some kind of osmosis.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The whole eircode development and its non geographic nature is a total farce. No surprise updates to same are a total mess.

ED E wrote: »
    The whole eircode development and its non geographic nature is a total farce. No surprise updates to same are a total mess.

To be fair it works quite well other than the inability to submit information to them, which is a bit of a weird limitation.

Looking up availability of utilities with an Eircode is very logical and easy. It's just the lack of them for new build makes no sense.

That ignores the €25,000 orgs pay Eircode every year.

• Advertisement

Yes, my father in law is 50m away and has broadband. I tried using his Eircode but they said they couldn't do it.

An post submitted the latest postal points on the 10th Jan for issue of new Eircodes in February/March. The next submission isn't until April and Eircodes to follow in May/June.

Can you not just ring up again wearing a fake mustache and say his eircode is yours? You can get it amended when you get your own later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Can you not just ring up again wearing a fake mustache and say his eircode is yours? You can get it amended when you get your own later.

How will that work when the KN technician comes to install at the given Eircode and is told he has to install at a different property? He is highly unlikely to go ahead with the installation.

edit:
    That's even if the order goes through for the Eircode seeing that there is already a service there.

How will that work when the KN technician comes to install at the given Eircode and is told he has to install at a different property? He is highly unlikely to go ahead with the installation.

edit:
    That's even if the order goes through for the Eircode seeing that there is already a service there.

It's 50 meters away, should be fine. May not be a service there also.

Alternative is wait 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭trellheim

Is it written in their service Ts and Cs that an eircode is required ? If it is not then a case may be made to the regulator. Is there a null eircode by any chance ?

Not sure why you think what the T&Cs have any consequence here.

OE state:
    The Eircode should always be submitted by the Operator when a
    new ARD ID is requested.

So all new addresses that have not previously had a service require an Eircode in order to generate the ARD key that all the W/S systems flow from. Its possible they can manually generate one without an Eircode but I don't see them bothering.

The Minister for Communications started Eircode so good luck getting COMREG to rule that its use is unfair/limiting.

Not sure why you think what the T&Cs have any consequence here.

OE state:

So all new addresses that have not previously had a service require an Eircode in order to generate the ARD key that all the W/S systems flow from. Its possible they can manually generate one without an Eircode but I don't see them bothering.

The Minister for Communications started Eircode so good luck getting COMREG to rule that its use is unfair/limiting.

I think you are right about not being arsed to do it manually

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I'm blue in the face saying this. There's an "under construction" flag on ECAD, so the system is already designed to accommodate it.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I'm blue in the face saying this. There's an "under construction" flag on ECAD, so the system is already designed to accommodate it.

So why isn't it being used?

I mean even during construction an Eircode would be useful as it's probably going to be the time when you've lots of unusual deliveries and first time connection of various utilities.

I mean do you need to put up a mailbox on the pillar and send several postage items to the site to get the post office to realise that it's there?

An Post have no motivation to bother. Whats in it for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

If your father in-law is that close you might be able to use a wireless point to point link and an access point in your own house to extend his broadband to your house to cover you for a few months.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

See below.
    I mean even during construction an Eircode would be useful as it's probably going to be the time when you've lots of unusual deliveries and first time connection of various utilities.
    Absolutely. There's no objectively good reason not to assign an Eircode prior to construction.
    An Post have no motivation to bother. Whats in it for them.
    This.

Eircodes are, fundamentally, a user interface layer on top of the Geodirectory database, which is maintained by An Post. A premises doesn't get an Eircode until it's added to Geodirectory, and it doesn't get added to Geodirectory until An Post gets around to it.

This has to change, and it can only change on the direction of either DCCAE or ComReg.

If your father in-law is that close you might be able to use a wireless point to point link and an access point in your own house to extend his broadband to your house to cover you for a few months.

Way ahead of you on that front. Gonna do something along that line 😉 It's my only option for the first year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,166 ✭✭✭plodder

They've known about this problem since Eircode was launched. So, I suspect they just don't care.

This needs to be raised with the media and local TDs. It's not good enough. The Eircode system should work properly for this purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Poncke

Not sure if having an Eircode is related to the possibility of having FTTH.

I live in a new estate and I had an Eircode but no FTTH. The whole estate had to be connected up to the network. Which has been done now and I am probably the first with FTTH in our estate.

If your house is not in a new estate, then I do not know how it would work.

Advertisement