Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Used BMW i3 experiences

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,759 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

First full charge to 100% this morning.
    GOM stayed 206km in eco pro mode. 195 in comfort.

Drove the usual route from job to a particular site and used 1.5% of battery where in the leaf it was mid teens in winter and 10-11 in summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,108 ✭✭✭✭KCross

mordeith wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the deal is with the heated mirrors. I presume they are standard but can't say I notice them working too well. Condensation stayed on them for ages this morning. I read somewhere they might only work fully when in Comfort mode?

I dont know about the i3 but any car I've had the heated mirrors only worked when you turned on the rear window defog.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,520 ✭✭✭micks_address

kceire wrote: »
    First full charge to 100% this morning.
    GOM stayed 206km in eco pro mode. 195 in comfort.

Drove the usual route from job to a particular site and used 1.5% of battery where in the leaf it was mid teens in winter and 10-11 in summer.

what distance did you do? I'm guessing id easily get to work on back on a full batter - 37km each way..

• Registered Users Posts: 65,140 ✭✭✭✭unkel

That can only mean one thing: the starting range on the GOM in the Leaf was way over stated and very quickly adapts to more realistic range

You did not really lose 10% of your range on a trip that lost you 1.5% in the BMW. Not even the Leaf is that inefficient :D

what distance did you do? I'm guessing id easily get to work on back on a full batter - 37km each way..

Sure you'd do that distance in a 2011 Leaf with 8-9 battery bars available.
    unkel wrote: »
    That can only mean one thing: the starting range on the GOM in the Leaf was way over stated and very quickly adapts to more realistic range

You did not really lose 10% of your range on a trip that lost you 1.5% in the BMW. Not even the Leaf is that inefficient :D

Yeah, no way its that efficient. The i3 used 4.5% to do a trip today, that last week took 20% in the Leaf. Weather is a bit better in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,247 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

First proper long trip in the i3 on Saturday.

Well apart from the drive home from Scotland but that was in the wee hours and I had an unexpected late passenger so I didn't bother with charging, just ran the REx.

Donegal to Belfast and back last Saturday. In the Leaf I'd have reached the other side of the Glenshane with about 30%, charge back to 80% on the rapid, drive on to Belfast and arrive with less than 20% left (due to a 30 mile motorway stretch).

I'd be reliant on charging on a standard somewhere, if not I'd have to stop at Shore Road or Applegreen and hope to God they were working. Then stop again at the Glenshane and charge to 80% or maybe 90% (the run back up the Glenshane Pass would eat at least 10%).

Worst case scenario if the weather was awful I might have to stop again in Derry for a rapid top up.

On Saturday, left home full and arrived at the Glenshane with 56%. Didn't need to charge but we were getting breakfast so charged for 25 minutes and left again with 98%.

Arrived in Belfast with about 50% and plugged into a 3kw slow charger at the Titanic Quarter car park. Left in the afternoon with a full charge and drove home without stopping. Glorious.

Noneange anxiety, no jumping through hoops for chargers, wellied down the motorway at 75-80mph and not a care in the world. Didn't use the REx either but nice to know it was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

I'd bloody love an i3.

Soarer wrote: »
    I'd bloody love an i3.

Keep an eye on eBay, occasionally there's ones going for around the GBP10k mark for a base BEV. You can bring that in, drive it for a year and sell it on for a profit. Free motoring :cool:

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Didn't use the REx either but nice to know it was there.

Indeed and means you don't have to Leaf or ioniq it on long trips, you can put the boot down if you're under pressure.

So what if petrol has to be burned every couple of weeks ? it probably won't be that much more expensive when it costs to charge at Chargers.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MM3

If they are similar to the heated seats then they may only
    Work in comfort or eco. I noticed in eco pro, even the heated seats don’t work.

Heated seats work fine for me in Eco Pro, I think its Eco Pro+ where they get disabled.

• Advertisement

On the 64 Ah with roughly 18 Kwh usable about 100-120 Kms maybe 130 Summer, some will have lost some capacity by now.

94 Ah roughly 29 Kwh usable about 150-200 Kms lower being Winter and higher being Summer, I have got 230 Kms from 94 Ah rex in Summer , this is the higher end of the scale at less than motorway speeds.

GOM this morning on our 60Ah showed 127 in Eco Pro , its been hovering in around the 120 mark for the last few days

MM3 wrote: »
    GOM this morning on our 60Ah showed 127 in Eco Pro , its been hovering in around the 120 mark for the last few days

What year is it ? how many Kwh is it reporting ?

https://bmwi3owner.com/2016/01/secrets/

Heated seats work fine for me in Eco Pro, I think its Eco Pro+ where they get disabled.

Sorry yes, eco pro plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,247 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Sorry yes, eco pro plus.

If you've bought an i3 and are driving it in Eco Pro Plus mode, please return the keys asap and hang your head in shame.

If you've bought an i3 and are driving it in Eco Pro Plus mode, please return the keys asap and hang your head in shame.

Nope, comfort all day long.
    Sunroof open.
    I had a leaf for 2 years and never drove in B mode at all.

I had to check it to see what it was like. I only have the thing 3 days like!

Got back to work in the afternoon, plugged it back in and at 4pm leaving work with 100%, comfort was displaying 209km.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,966 ✭✭✭Patser

Hahahaha, too fecking true. I've been too polite to mention it, especially when someone was saying they were going to code their car to have eco plus as default

If you've a 60ah BEV she'll stay level with an M3 to 60kmh, the most fun is leaving the Felt spec TDi Passat lads dead from the lights in your high seated, odd looking car.

It's the ultimate sleeper. Don't ruin it by all this anal debate about 'Well Nigel, I think you'll find that when it 12 Celsius, with a tail wind of no more than 15kmh and tyres inflated to such, I can run at .2kwh less than at 15 celsius, an my battery temperature will only be 5 degrees higher'

Feck that!!!!

The car is dirt cheap to run, floor it and recharge for free. You'll be ahead of all the soot the T diddley i -ers pump out to try match you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Did 84km today in our 60ah and app is reporting 19% left. Drive was mix of 100 and 120 kph sections.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

Keep an eye on eBay, occasionally there's ones going for around the GBP10k mark for a base BEV. You can bring that in, drive it for a year and sell it on for a profit. Free motoring :cool:

Tisn't the money. It's my sanity.

One pedal driving, seriously impressed! :)

The i3 60 Ah regen is different to the 94 Ah, seemingly the i3 94ah takes a lot longer to give full regen if you're on the motorway or travelling at higher speeds in general to make it feel much more like an ICE car, I actually prefer this to the more aggressive all or nothing regen when you lift off the throttle.

Then at slower speeds or in town it will brake much harder. I do like it.

• Advertisement

The i3 60 Ah regen is different to the 94 Ah, seemingly the i3 94ah takes a lot longer to give full regen if you're on the motorway or travelling at higher speeds in general to make it feel much more like an ICE car, I actually prefer this to the more aggressive all or nothing regen when you lift off the throttle.

Then at slower speeds or in town it will brake much harder. I do like it.

Yeah, I can feather the throttle to make it coast like like a traditional ICE, obviously I get no regen while doing this or I can completely lift off to gin regen.

Yes the Throttle acts like variable regen, the more you lift off the more regen you get, same as the Leaf but it's nice for a more gradual regen when you lift off then full on regen which can be a pain in the ass.

Patser wrote: »
    If you've a 60ah BEV she'll stay level with an M3 to 60kmh, the most fun is leaving the Felt spec TDi Passat lads dead from the lights

You can even do that in your Ioniq - it never gets old :D

I think I need to test drive a 60Ah BEV i3. I signed up for go car, but all their cars are REx

Anyone know a BMW dealer in Dublin that has one for sale?

I think I need to test drive a 60Ah BEV i3. I signed up for go car, but all their cars are REx

Don't do it, you will want one. ;)

If you do then take it to the back roads.

Gather your tools to flash my ABL unit and you can take my car for a spin :)

KCross wrote: »
    I dont know about the i3 but any car I've had the heated mirrors only worked when you turned on the rear window defog.

Didn't work for either this morning with rear window defog on (driving in Eco Pro). Beginning to annoy me now. Surely it's standard on all versions? The ones on my 10 year old a4 have em cleared in a matter of minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭ewj1978

AFAIK the heated mirrors only come on in comfort mode.

RTFM lads ?

We test drove this one before we bought ours http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/bmw/i3/used-2016-161-bmw-i3-60ah-dublin-fpa-201809230782783

• Advertisement

RTFM lads ?

Yes sir! :-)

According to manual: 'Both exterior mirrors are automatically heated whenever drive readiness is switched on.'

Well it doesn't work very well if so

Advertisement