Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should we switch to driving on the right?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Why? Why should UK policies determine our decisions?

Irexit would be one such great idea

• Registered Users Posts: 15,902 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    What are they?

BMW owner I see.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Samuel Vimes

Economic suicide is NEVER a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

It can be done in scalextrics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    When it was done in Sweden it was one of the biggest projects that was ever undertaken.
    Many drivers already had left hand drive cars there and it was done in a period when most people didn't have a car.

To do that in Ireland today would cost billions. Couple this with the spike in road fatalities aa the vast majority of cars are right hand drive.

I would love if we did drive on the right but the cost would be just too much.

There’s a reason Sweden had to do it, they have borders with countries that drive on the right.

We don’t. In fact a lot of countries that drive on the left are islands or have a border that isn’t commonly crossed. Southern Africa is an outlier there though.

• Advertisement

BMW owner I see.

no, but do they come with no indicators, if so, im very interested now, really cant understand why theyre on cars

• Registered Users Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I don't want to drive on the fcuking right!
    Go back to Russia, commie!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

If it was going to be done, it should have been done many decades ago.

You have to remember that back in the early half of the 20th our world view was a lot narrower and the UK was a lot more relevant than it is today.

Cars weren't even imported directly from the continent. There were trade barriers to the point that we had, for example, Renaults being assembled in Ireland on a tiny scale. They were just kits sent from France.

The European common market didn't exist and the idea of global trade was still control by big powers rather than multilateralism.

Also as an island island and only having one land, border with another right hand drive jurisdiction, makes the advantages of switching for Ireland relatively small and the disadvantages enormous.

Sweden was in a more awkward situation and probably left a switch about as late as you possibly could.

Realistically, these things should have been standardised across the entire planet in the 1920s. It's far, far too late now.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,283 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Do you also advocate kicking yourself repeatedly in the nuts?

Do you also advocate kicking yourself repeatedly in the nuts?

its very pleasurable, worth a try

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I'm happy with the system we have of studying and doing a theory test, training how to drive under instruction, passing a test and then throwing all that effort out the window and driving any way you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

Balanadan wrote:
    To be more aligned with our European friends. I certainly think so.

Asolutely not.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,198 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Of course, in the interests of safety everyone would be restricted to a maximum top speed of 50kph on any road, for maybe a month or so while we got used it it. Just imagine how relaxed and good humoured everyone would be in those circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,263 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

We can barely drive on the left as it is. If we switched could you imagine the chaos?

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,283 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

^^^^^^^^^^^
    That is a very underrated film

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

Balanadan wrote: »
    To be more aligned with our European friends. I certainly think so. :)

Everyone will have to change their car.

Stupid idea with insurance implications

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

No, we drive on the correct side of the road so why should we change. It’s europe and the us etc the drive on the wrong side.

What makes their side incorrect? Take away the fact the you are used to driving on the left - apart from that, what is it that makes driving on the left the correct way?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

What makes their side incorrect? Take away the fact the you are used to driving on the left - apart from that, what is it that makes driving on the left the correct way?

It actually dates back to medieval times, knights on horseback would carry their shields in their left hands, so would pass each other on the left so they could shake hands with their right hand.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

And the switch over to the right was a Napoleon thing I think?

So if we drive to the right, we'd be surrendering to the French!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,276 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

We should definitely switch over to the Right. But it would be a bit hard on the older people. We should wait for them all to die first, then it'll be grand.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Dakotabigone

Kerry people will get confused, Healy Rae’s will think it’s climate change.

• Site Banned Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Dakotabigone

And the switch over to the right was a Napoleon thing I think?

So if we drive to the right, we'd be surrendering to the French!

Don’t mess with the French, them yellow vests lads mean business.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Balanadan wrote: »
    To be more aligned with our European friends. I certainly think so. :)

Just drive everywhere in reverse, then you'll feel like you're driving on the right hand side

• Registered Users Posts: 11,209 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Have a one way system throughout the country - no confusion then wrt driving on the left or the right.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,172 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Drive on the right :rolleyes: have we reached this level of ****e now?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,927 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I think the OP has their eye on a car that is only available in Left Hand drive. Probably an Audi.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Czechoslovakia managed it very efficiently in 1939, with some help from consultants from Berlin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    It actually dates back to medieval times, knights on horseback would carry their shields in their left hands, so would pass each other on the left so they could shake hands with their right hand.

So no real relevance to which side is best to drive on?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Vic_08 wrote: »

Again, can anyone point out 1 single benefit from doing this, now or 50 years ago?

The benefit of driving on the right is that it requires the driver to operate the hand brake and gear shift with the right hand. Most people are right-handed and in the event of an emergency the right hand reacts more quickly than the left so it is safer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Boom_Bap wrote: »

Yeah, and French knights would shake hands with their left instead. :rolleyes:

Try again.

Advertisement