Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap or less rip off pints

Options
  • 19-01-2019 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭

Going in for food and drinks tomorrow afternoon for herselfs birthday

Going hardrock cafe for food (her birthday her choice) and know not to drink in temple bar

Haven't a clue as haven't drank in town in years, only option was Murrays as they do a lot of with liverpool fans

Just a few sociable, chat etc, won't be late one

Thanks

Comments

Portobello Pub Portobello bridge Rathmines.
    Look on Google maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Peadar Kearney’s on Dame Street was €4.50 (I think) a pint before 6/7. Not sure if it’s weekdays only though. Have only been twice and not in a while so someone else might fill in the blanks.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

sugarman wrote: »
    Just go across to Dame Lane, plenty of reasonably priced spots along there and only a short walk.

Dame Tavern and Stag's Head are 5.40 for guinness and it doesn't get much cheaper the further you go on (5.30 in Hogan's is a wee bit cheaper). Both cheaper than Temple Bar in fairness.

4.50 in Lord Edward but that's a bit away from Dame Lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Where’d you end up going, OP? I somehow ended up in the fecking River Bar myself paying €6.60 a pop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭jeffk

Dame Lane and just had one in banker's after one and food in hardrock cafe

Wouldn't make a habit of drinking in town, between prices and tourists sipping one for ages

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,903 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

jeffk wrote: »
    Wouldn't make a habit of drinking in town, between prices and tourists sipping one for ages

Theyve seen the prices!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Theyve seen the prices!

For sure, more sense then us when it comes to pints

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Ha'penny Lounge would have fit the bill, I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

jeffk wrote: »
    Dame Lane and just had one in banker's after one and food in hardrock cafe

That's gas, was in the Bankers myself. One of my regular haunts. And I get charged 'locals' prices!

Birneybau wrote: »
    That's gas, was in the Bankers myself. One of my regular haunts. And I get charged 'locals' prices!

Shouldve sat with you so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Murph_D wrote: »

If you can put up with the ignorance of the owner :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

humberklog wrote: »
    Dame Tavern and Stag's Head are 5.40 for guinness and it doesn't get much cheaper the further you go on (5.30 in Hogan's is a wee bit cheaper). Both cheaper than Temple Bar in fairness.

4.50 in Lord Edward but that's a bit away from Dame Lane.

The Snug Bar on Stephen's Street - less than €4 for a pint.
    I don't drink but I know a few Premier League garglers who have abandoned their usual haunts in Rathmines to go into town for drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

The Long Hall on the same street as the george...Guinness is unreal, think i paid €4.50

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Not any more. Was in there for a few pints over Christmas, think it was €6.30 for a pint of Heineken/Hop House.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    If you can put up with the ignorance of the owner :pac:

Tell me more. Wouldn't be in there more than four or five times a year but I've always been impressed with the service, pints dropped to table with a smile even while the place is quite busy.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Tell me more. Wouldn't be in there more than four or five times a year but I've always been impressed with the service, pints dropped to table with a smile even while the place is quite busy.

Dave Macsavage's "Quares!" landlord character is based on Mick the owner and it's pretty accurate.

As for The Long Hall it's €5.50 a Guinness, It's a grand pub but was never a cheap pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Davexirl

Portobello Pub Portobello bridge Rathmines.
    Look on Google maps.

Yeah €4.50 a pint, grand to watch a match in.

Dave Macsavage's "Quares!" landlord character is based on Mick the owner and it's pretty accurate.

As for The Long Hall it's €5.50 a Guinness, It's a grand pub but was never a cheap pub.

'Hooks for hands', eh? :eek:

I'd heard that alright. Have to say the man has always been pleasant to me but I've never interacted beyond the usual ordering pints pleasantries!

Wish I had of know that and had a look... QUARES

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

The Porterhouse bars have a €4.50 pint of the day offer. Decent enough value there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭ESMITH29

If in at the right time, you can have a relaxed pint in Diceys on Harcourt street, although after 7-8 it get's fairly mental.

Early on a Sat/Sun is quiet enough and all pints are €2.00. If you find yourself wanting a pint on a weekday, they're €1.50.

Anyone have any idea how they're making money at these prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

'Hooks for hands', eh? :eek:

I'd heard that alright. Have to say the man has always been pleasant to me but I've never interacted beyond the usual ordering pints pleasantries!

I could tell a few stories about him but will leave it as just this one. Back in the early 2000s he did a renovation on the toilets which hadn't been touched in at least 40 years. They weren't as manky as some other pubs toilets but were still defintely need of a good overhaul. Anyway on the day the renovation began he told the workmen to uninstall all the toilets and cisterns and place them in the cellar so they could be re-used at the end of the renovation. He was basically too tight to invest in new toilets. The regulars all got to know about this and of course there was much chat about the stingeness of it all. The guy is probably worth a few million and here he was re-using 40 year old toilets that had probably been pissed on hundreds of thousands of times.

Anyway after a few days the barman revealed another little nugget of information- the owner had also told the workmen that the small metal signs on the toilet doors denoting male/female were also intended for re-use and were stored in a toilet bowl in the cellar. So for the craic the barman passed on the male metal sign to one of the regulars who said he took it as a souvenir and stuck it up on his toilet door at home.

About a week later the renovation is complete and the 40 year old toilets and cisterns are re-installed. But yer man is going ape**** shouting and roaring around the pub asking where the fcuk is his metal sign and how he didn't have a matching set and now he would have to go out and buy a new pair :D Everyone at the counter knew well where the metal sign was and were splitting with the laughter about what had happened. About a week later he begrudgingly went out and bought two new signs for the toilets, think it cost him 20 quid. For at least a year afterwards regulars were asking him if the sign ever showed up, you could visibly see his blood pressure rising about the matter :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭monty_python

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I could tell a few stories about him but will leave it as just this one. Back in the early 2000s he did a renovation on the toilets which hadn't been touched in at least 40 years. They weren't as manky as some other pubs toilets but were still defintely need of a good overhaul. Anyway on the day the renovation began he told the workmen to uninstall all the toilets and cisterns and place them in the cellar so they could be re-used at the end of the renovation. He was basically too tight to invest in new toilets. The regulars all got to know about this and of course there was much chat about the stingeness of it all. The guy is probably worth a few million and here he was re-using 40 year old toilets that had probably been pissed on hundreds of thousands of times.

Anyway after a few days the barman revealed another little nugget of information- the owner had also told the workmen that the small metal signs on the toilet doors denoting male/female were also intended for re-use and were stored in a toilet bowl in the cellar. So for the craic the barman passed on the male metal sign to one of the regulars who said he took it as a souvenir and stuck it up on his toilet door at home.

About a week later the renovation is complete and the 40 year old toilets and cisterns are re-installed. But yer man is going ape**** shouting and roaring around the pub asking where the fcuk is his metal sign and how he didn't have a matching set and now he would have to go out and buy a new pair :D Everyone at the counter knew well where the metal sign was and were splitting with the laughter about what had happened. About a week later he begrudgingly went out and bought two new signs for the toilets, think it cost him 20 quid. For at least a year afterwards regulars were asking him if the sign ever showed up, you could visibly see his blood pressure rising about the matter :D

He doesn't be there much anymore. He son Sean has taken over

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

ESMITH29 wrote: »
    If in at the right time, you can have a relaxed pint in Diceys on Harcourt street, although after 7-8 it get's fairly mental.

Early on a Sat/Sun is quiet enough and all pints are €2.00. If you find yourself wanting a pint on a weekday, they're €1.50.

Anyone have any idea how they're making money at these prices?

They're not cheap during the day midweek anyway :D Talking €6 a pint at least on a Thurs or Fri.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

The Shakespeare Hop House on Parnell St. is a good shout for cheap pints imo. Pints start at €3.80 for a Carling if you're on a budget or €4.20 for the Shakespeare house beer which is genuinely quite nice (not sure about Guinness tbh). A lot of the pubs on the street are quite rough but the Shakespeare is grand with a decent little beer garden out the back. It's run by the attached Kim Chi Korean restaurant which I'm also told is good but I've never actually eaten there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

grimm2005 wrote: »
    The Shakespeare Hop House on Parnell St. is a good shout for cheap pints imo. Pints start at €3.80 for a Carling if you're on a budget or €4.20 for the Shakespeare house beer which is genuinely quite nice (not sure about Guinness tbh). A lot of the pubs on the street are quite rough but the Shakespeare is grand with a decent little beer garden out the back. It's run by the attached Kim Chi Korean restaurant which I'm also told is good but I've never actually eaten there.

Been a while since I last ate there but the food was always great - particularly the Korean food (they do sushi as well, it's decent but not brilliant). Does anyone know who does their house beer?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,903 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I think Tuborg is 4.20 in Chaplins. Guinness about 5.20 and 5.50 for most other drafts.
    Assuming the price list on their website is up to date!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Does anyone know who does their house beer?
    It's a rebadge of McGargles Fancy Frank's Lager, AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I think Tuborg is 4.20 in Chaplins. Guinness about 5.20 and 5.50 for most other drafts.
    Assuming the price list on their website is up to date!

Classic case of getting what you pay for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

The Mezz in Temple Bar do McGargles Larger for a fiver.

Advertisement