Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best almond milk?

Options
  • 19-01-2019 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

I only ever seen the Alpro Almond Milk, but personally, I hate the taste of it. It's always just way to watered down. Are there any other almond products that anybody would recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Dylan12345 wrote: »
    I only ever seen the Alpro Almond Milk, but personally, I hate the taste of it. It's always just way to watered down. Are there any other almond products that anybody would recommend?

Why don't you drink another type of plant milk? I find oat milk much more palatable. Or hazlenut. Cashew isn't bad. Tho I believe almond tends to have less fat and sugar in it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I like the coconut-almond alpro, might be better taste for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Nutser

bluewolf wrote:
    I like the coconut-almond alpro, might be better taste for you?

Would you make your own? You just need to soak nuts of your choice overnight, then rinse and blitz in a nutri bullet or food processor with fresh water. It makes a lovely creamy milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

The bunalun almond milk has about 7% almonds I think

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

It money is no object, the "Rude" almond milks tastes amazing and the ingredients are all natural and healthy. It's a real treat, but I've only seen it at 3 to 4 euro a litre so it's not something I can switch to for the weekly shop, personally,

The problem with making your own almond milk is there seems to be a lot of waste, but if you also bake bread you could put the leftovers into the bread and it's win win.

If you are vegan bear in mind that other than soya and hemp, which have lots of protein, the other milk substitutes don't have almost any.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

There are some stronger ones like Innocent. They taste too almondy for me personally. I like oat, cashew, hemp, soy, coconut/rice. Also make sure to try sweetened vs unsweetened as they taste very different.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Which of these milks contain most vit B or iron

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Most of them have B12 supplemented, should say on the carton. Iron would be oat, cashew, soy etc, everything that has iron in it generally.

Cast iron pans (not ceramic coated of course) are a great way to get iron, and very easy https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12859709/

They aren't the cheapest pans but they last 100s of years if you treat them right so why not. I paid 25 euro for a big one but you can spend as much as you want, make sure you measure your oven because you'll need to bake it with oil on it every now and then to keep it from rusting

Cast iron pans (not ceramic coated of course) are a great way to get iron, and very easy https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12859709/

They aren't the cheapest pans but they last 100s of years if you treat them right so why not. I paid 25 euro for a big one but you can spend as much as you want, make sure you measure your oven because you'll need to bake it with oil on it every now and then to keep it from rusting

These are cool, an iron fish you throw in with your cooking to get iron in your food. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Iron-Designed-Reusable-Pregnant-Vegetarians/dp/B01LX5S5FP/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1548170688&sr=8-1&keywords=iron+fish

They also use them in poor villages to allow people to get enough iron.

• Advertisement

These are cool, an iron fish you throw in with your cooking to get iron in your food. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Iron-Designed-Reusable-Pregnant-Vegetarians/dp/B01LX5S5FP/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1548170688&sr=8-1&keywords=iron+fish

They also use them in poor villages to allow people to get enough iron.

That's great, totally over priced, you could get a whole pot for that. I've had my eye out for a while for an old bit of iron i can clean, file down, and use for this.

Check this out: https://www.amazon.co.uk/KitchenCraft-Master-Frying-Wooden-Serving/dp/B011RBWP4Y/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1548171349&sr=8-4&keywords=cast+iron+small It's about the size for one egg, maybe, very very small but you could use it the same as the fish if you were so inclined. I got a big one I fry everything in, different company

Advertisement