Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Built in Wardrobe would cover vent

Options
  • 18-01-2019 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭

Where we want to put built in wardobes in our main bedroom would cover the existing vent. Should we just cut a whole around it and put the vent into the cupboard? The ensuite has a vent also.

What do ye think?

Edit: we were hoping for floor to ceiling wardrobes
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,320 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

boardtc wrote: »
    Where we want to put built in wardobes in our main bedroom would cover the existing vent. Should we just cut a whole around it and put the vent into the cupboard? The ensuite has a vent also.

What do ye think?

You really should have the vent into the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Doctor14

boardtc wrote: »

What do ye think?
    Putting the vent in the wardrobe defeats the whole purpose of having a vent - it is to allow circulation of air through the whole room. Ensuite vent is a separate room.
    Either
    • build around the vent (difficult with a built-in)
    • build in a fan and ducting (can get very messy with electrics involved etc.)
    • block up the vent and rebore a new one elsewhere in the room (easiest option)

Also, check the outside of the room - you can sometimes find that a previously bored vent has been blocked up and just has to be unblocked. This has happened to me so many times - an external inspection of a wall has revealed a vent into a room that wasn't obvious from the inside of the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Is the built in floor to ceiling? If not then you could just cut a hole in the top of the built in and duct the wall vent to the hole you bored in the 'roof' of the built in. If the built in is floor to ceiling then you'd have to bore a hole in the visible front of the built in, duct it to the wall vent and have a vent cover on the front of your built in. You could make it a 'feature' though. Wouldn't have to be a white plastic vent stuck to your lovely new built in. The opening could be detailed/trimmed nicely with the opening filled with radiator cabinet mesh or perforated panels if you get me.

With regard to the ensuite Vent. The lads would have to confirm the regs but you might get away with just fitting a higher CFM extractor fan to the ensuite to meet air change regs for the whole bedroom/ensuite space.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭boardtc

@caibos, thanks a lot for the idea, seems the best solution.....The ducting would need to have a stable front for when opened and that lined up with the perforated panel front when closed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

The house I moved into has exactly this set up.

Floor to ceiling built in that's covered a vent. Previous guys solution was to paint over the outside vent cover :rolleyes:

Also discovered the kitchen has the same set up with the new presses, vent has been covered by oven and microwave.
    Bloody fuming as I'll have to sort this **** out.

My preferred way of sorting it will be to fully block old vents and drill new ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭BarraOG

Would one option be to use fitted wardrobes, like Ikeas pax that are 240cm in height. They would be high enough to completely cover the vent. Then cut a hole in the back of the wardrobe and then one in the top of the wardrobe and use a duck pipe and then a suitable vent on the top of the wardrobe. I can see that vent getting caked in dust though. In our bedroom the only sensible place for the wardrobe is where the vent is located. The only alternative would be a new vent and I dont think that would be a diy job looking how the vents are finished on the exterior of my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Same problem in our bedroom

haven’t done it yet but plan to just move the vent to opposite side of external wall. Quotes I’m getting from folks to do it a bit crazy. May give it a go myself I am undecided. Needs a specific drill bit and then you can get vents that setup from inside to out(so your not messing on ladders outside)

I putting insulating board on all the external walls in the house (from inside) so using that to plan out new vents

• Registered Users Posts: 33,860 ✭✭✭✭listermint

It was a few months ago and it was actually pretty hard to find folks to actually do the work, but a ventilation company were asking for 1,000 to put a new hole in and told them no thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,860 ✭✭✭✭listermint

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Madd002

Just fit wardrobes over it, you don't actually need it, I presume you open windows and ensuite has one and a window which you could leave open a tad bit for a bit of airflow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

I got it done last year 350 plus VAT.

I used this crowd https://mouldsolutions.ie/

Had the core drill, and did a neat job.

Pretty sure these are the guys who wanted 1,000 for each new hole that needed drilling. Might ring them again to double check. I remember ringing around last year and literally one company got back, maybe Im mixing up but that name is defo familiar and normally that means they were taking the piss :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,459 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Advertisement