Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Discovery 2x01 – "Brother" [** SPOILERS WITHIN **]

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I just wonder if at the end of Pike's run on the Discovery, will he get the Enterprise back or find that some young hotshot renegade has been given command.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Wikis suggest that Disco is about 8 years behind the start of TOS at this point, though no clarification on whether it's the same timeline! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Just watched a trailer for Episode 2 (via instagram of all things, so no full-screen), but for those lamenting the absence of traditional Trek tropes, it looks like the next episode will involve ...
    an Away Mission on a low-tech human colony. I also think I spotted one of the helm officers in it, so they're definitely giving them more to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

flazio wrote: »
    I just wonder if at the end of Pike's run on the Discovery, will he get the Enterprise back or find that some young hotshot renegade has been given command.

I suspect that there will be a new Captain for each season of Discovery

If Pike is such a great captain, why did he select a total loser to bring as one of his two assistants on the Discovery?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I honestly think the show would be much more enjoyable overall if it was based sometime -after- the events of Voyager.

You could get over all the technology jumps and all that and it could end up being a great show in it's own right.

This I think gets to the main issue with Discovery... why are we yet again seeing Star Trek's past? Enterprise worked, as it was the first to show pre TOS Star Trek. Then the JJ file came along and well, we know how bad those are.

The last Star Trek TV show that advanced the settings timeline was Voyager, that was quite some time ago.

Still, I am glad that the stupid Spore Drive has gone, that was just dumb. Just need to get rid of Tully now, or make her character more fleshed out.

I honestly think that as budgets are so big now that production companies are so scared of failure that they play too safe. This is why we see reboots, sequels, and reoccurring characters being central to plot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭flazio

If Pike is such a great captain, why did he select a total loser to bring as one of his two assistants on the Discovery?

Because Spock is on leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

The greater question is why Pike brought him on the mission.
    Maybe he was a really good officer to have on the bridge.

It doesn't speak well to his decision making that he would bring such a thundering dickhead on such a dangerous away mission.
    It's a bit daft that he'd bring himself and his 3rd in command as well, but ST at least has priors for commanders leading from the front.

flazio wrote: »
    Because Spock is on leave.

Yep, but that would leave Pike with approx 398 other crew members to choose from. He chose a total bell-end :)
    Total captaining fail IMHO :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

pixelburp wrote: »
    Just on the uniforms, seeing the 'modern' recreation of TOS made me a little more bullish when it comes to recreating the era - certainly sartorially anyway. Those bright primary colours just didn't work for me, even if they were a cute nod to the original show. I still like those Discovery uniforms, and the original ones should be consigned to the 1960s and those early days of colour TV.

It had the opposite effect on me. I thought the original uniforms brought a much need splash of colour to the otherwise monotone blue palette of Discovery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

Given that Pike's mission is to investigate the red anomalies it would make sense to bring his alternate science officer aboard rather than having to bring Burnham up to speed. Connolly may have been an asshole but we never got to see how proficient he actually was as a science officer.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Greyjoy wrote: »
    Given that Pike's mission is to investigate the red anomalies it would make sense to bring his alternate science officer aboard rather than having to bring Burnham up to speed. Connolly may have been an asshole but we never got to see how proficient he actually was as a science officer.

Exactly. Being a douche doesn’t stop people getting jobs - I’m sure we all know someone like that. They mightn’t be the most pleasing person person around but that doesn’t means they aren’t proficient in their role.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Exactly. Being a douche doesn’t stop people getting jobs - I’m sure we all know someone like that. They mightn’t be the most pleasing person person around but that doesn’t means they aren’t proficient in their role.

But they are a star fleet officers and his douchiness is putting the mission in danger. It's like in the recent films, Spock and Uhura are bickering about their relationship on an important away mission. Starfleet standards are really dropping.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

But they are a star fleet officers and his douchiness is putting the mission in danger. It's like in the recent films, Spock and Uhura are bickering about their relationship on an important away mission. Starfleet standards are really dropping.

Have there been no similarly annoying characters in Star Trek?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

From what I recall of TNG, every second admiral was a raging a$$hole, so there's nothing new about bad attitudes in Starfleet. Ditto stories set in the Acedemy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

I think it's a matter of context. Sure there are annoying characters in all of Star Trek but it's generally highlighted as an issue within the episode, whether it's an admiral who act's in a way that's unbecoming of Starfleet or a brash recruit who puts lives at risk.

I think it's more just the way Alex Kurtzman writes characters, everything is at such breakneck speed so even character development has to come within an action scene so professionalism takes a back seat.

I can't imagine a single captain written before new Trek who would put up with the relationship bickering between Spock and Uhura, or smug guy and Burnham. Just for a laugh imagine how Picard would have reacted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Goodshape wrote: »
    Really not getting the hate for Michael Burnham, or seeing the "Mary Sue" thing.

It's not comparable for instance to Star Wars' Luke or Rey, going from farm to near-enough Jedi over the course of a movie.

I realise this is a trek thread but I've seen this comparison before and it's way off. Rey is the quintessential Mary Sue which I don't think anyone would argue with but Luke Skywalker certainly was not.

He starts out with a naive....almost childish thirst for adventure and is partly responsible for getting his parents/Aunt and Uncle killed. The first time he practices with a lightsabre he is useless and gets shot in the arse. He is not an ace pilot and is deemed merely "good" which is explained by his practicing in his T-16 for most of his childhood. Basically his aptitude doesn't appear out of nowhere....it can be logically explained within the universe.

He gets knocked out by a giant ice bear, nearly freezes to death and only lives because he is rescued by another. He is a middling student to Yoda and fails to lift his X-Wing. He abandons his training to meet Vader and Vader is so superior to him that Vader only fights with one hand for most of the encounter....easily beating him anyway. Luke also loses his hand.

I could go on but you get the point. Luke is an idealistic but flawed character whose failures are repeatedly put on display.

Rey is the most skilled person at everything in every scene......and succeeds in everything she attempts even if she has no training or has never done it before. In fact im fairly sure that when Rey is not on screen, the other characters all ask themselves, "Where's Rey?"

To compare Luke to Rey, who is perfect in every way......is ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Kirby wrote: »
    I realise this is a trek thread but I've seen this comparison before and it's way off. Rey is the quintessential Mary Sue which I don't think anyone would argue with but Luke Skywalker certainly was not.

Yeah. Mostly I just mentioned Luke to rile up the Star Wars fans.

Trololollollolol :pac: :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

opus wrote: »
    For sure :) I had to go back & rewatch that part afterwards just to make sure he wasn't!

That was the joke and one of several nods to fans when Pike specifically requested the red shirt to go with them on a dangerous away mission.

Has Tilly had plastic surgery done? The growth on her face was a lot more pronounced in S1. Are they trying to "sex her up"?

Advertisement